Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Oil Catch Can
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Strider

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver
Oil Catch Can

Here's a quick question,

Has anyone fitted a Oil Catch can to their RR?
The reason I ask my second car is a MK1 Octavia Vrs and soon after buying it I fitted one from these people :- saikoumichi.com. The Vrs engine is turbo-charged and is a closed system ie: it recirculates
crank case gasses and feeds them back into the intake, through loads of one way valves, PCV and finally into the Turbo.

As you can imagine this oily vapour eventually clogs pipework, one way valves, PCV valve etc and coats the Turbo internals.
After replacing the PCV valve and fitting the OCC I found that the valves, PCV were nice and clean, also no build up of oily
sludge in the air intercooler. The OCC just requires a periodic drain via draincock mounted at the bottom. Also, I have been informed that oil vapour burnt in combustion lowers the octane rating of the petrol.

The RR looks like it has a similar set up?.
This something I intend to look into more deeply in the near future so would appreciate any ones experience doing this mod.

Thanks

Post #529575 30th Sep 2019 1:02pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Personally I'd leave it well alone, many supercharged RR's with starship mileage and no problems, start messing with the system and you will likely throw codes up... The system is far cleaner on a petrol than a diesel anyway and is there to reduce overall emissions... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #529711 1st Oct 2019 3:35pm
Strider

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Hi Peter,

Nice to see your still around, how's the boating going?.

I have noted your comments "starship miles", had to smile, I think mine has just left the launch pad Smile .

Page 857 of the WM shows the crankcase emission control layout, without looking at mine it doesn't appear to show any pressure sensors. As you know the PCV valve is just a rubbery diaphragm with a compression spring holding it in place to prevent reverse circulation (pretty simple setup). As the OCC doesn't vent to atmosphere and would be a in-line fitment then any pressure in the line would not be affected.

One good thing though, the full load breather hose is shown joining the intake flow (past the MAF) so at least it wouldn't contaminate the MAF with oily vapour. I will check the PCV valve and breather hoses for oily deposits before I decide what to do.

Thanks

Post #529740 1st Oct 2019 6:45pm
Tom Paine

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Bonatti Grey

I've just been given a Drift Hard Tune catch can which is of the completely empty persuasion. I've done the usual simple modification with piece of copper pipe -A$ 2.70 and two stainless steel scourers - A$3.50, so now it should work as it's supposed to.
The general opinion seems to be that they're good for turbo diesels, and I've seen some filthy inlet manifolds from cars without them, so I'm thinking of fitting it on to my 2004 L322 diesel.
The difficulty is that they seem to already have a crankcase breather,

Click image to enlarge

and the V8 appears to have got a cyclonic oil separator,

I can't find any opinion on the effectiveness of any of these standard fittings, so it looks like I might be boldly going where no OCC has gone.

Post #562145 20th Jul 2020 7:18pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

The TD6 with the BMW M57 diesel engine came with a small loo roll filter which seemed to be overlooked during servicing and blocks up completely. BMW changed to the Vortex type which thankfully is an easy swap and a fit and forget item. I would suggest the 1st thing you do is make sure you have the vortex type breather and the EGR valve removed. The inlet manifold is easy to remove and then cleanout, you will be horrified at the build-up of gunk. Another easy DIY is clean the MAP sensor at the rear of the inlet manifold, this will no doubt be so blocked up its ineffective. Do these simple things and I can see no point of a catch can

Click image to enlarge
 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #562195 21st Jul 2020 12:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1