Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Air suspension Inactive - Compressor Temperature Sensor Faul
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
markcartlidge

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Air suspension Inactive - Compressor Temperature Sensor Faul

The dreaded Air Suspension Inactive Warning is coming on. I can reset it with the IID tool which shows the error as:-
1/1 0x24 Compressor Temperature Sensor Fault

When I look at the live values they seem sensible and consistent with operation ie. ambient is down at 15 to 20deg C and then when putting suspension up and down it maxs at 70degC. Based on this I presume it is a intermittent wiring issue. I dont think it would be the battery as the voltages read correct and there arent any other issues (so far).

Any ideas/suggestions please.

Thanks

Post #360241 3rd Dec 2015 12:30pm
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

I had a similar fault.
I would get suspension inactive, an overheat and faulty sensor code. When reset and monitoring the compressor temperature it would start rising OK but jump about occasionally which caused the codes to pop up and suspension inactive again.
On checking the boot I found an inch of water in the spare wheel well!
My actual problem was condensation from the damp tracking down inside the temperature sensor itself via the wiring giving it a false reading (it's a standard NTC temperature sensor). The sensor sits on the compressor cylinder head so normal running will dry it out...the trick is getting it to run when it thinks it's overheating! I forced it to run using the IID tool but 'jump' leads would do the same. After that it worked OK and never had a problem again (I changed the boot seal and bumper seals to stop the leaks).

I would check the wiring plug for corrosion/damp, disconnect and reconnect. Likewise check the wiring inside the compressor unit itself if the connector gives no joy. The temperature sensor might be available separately, drop 'Meerbusch' a pm as he had some Wabco contacts (supplied rebuild kits with factory parts). Either that or a failed compressor might yield a working sensor.

Post #360277 3rd Dec 2015 4:00pm
markcartlidge

Thanks for your help. I checked the boot and found nothing untoward. Messed around with the IID tool and changed the height manually as a temporary measure. Subseqeunt faults on the IID showed an articulation problem so finally got under the rear wheel arch today to find the rod of the height sensor detached from the sensor arm. New one on order. Just need to fit it and re-calibrate. Hopefully that should be the end of it until the next BONG.

Post #362214 14th Dec 2015 6:03pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Might be worth thinking about a compressor rebuild kit ( new piston ring) if it's been getting hot through trying to maintain an impossible height, it could have caused unnecessary wear to the ring..... only once the ring wares out it will score the barrel and that will be the end of your compressor Big Cry £15 is better than £300 Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #362261 14th Dec 2015 10:04pm
markcartlidge

AsS the compressor is only just over 2 years old and the suspension lockout meant it wasnt working overly hard or for too long I think it will be ok. But thanks for the advice.

Post #362295 15th Dec 2015 9:40am
miggit

United Kingdom 

I had a leak on my front air bag, the first thing that I knew about it was an EAS inactive fault, Having replaced the 2 front struts I fitted a new piston ring to my compressor, but the damage had already been done, the barrel was scored and I was forced to replace the whole thing a while later. For the 30 minutes it will take to check the piston ring, I would say that it's worth it, as it might just save you a fortune Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #362300 15th Dec 2015 10:21am
mrsamram

India 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Alaska White
Temperature sensor driving me nuts

ok guys, Sorry to open up an old thread, but I am having serious trouble trying to figure out the temperature sensor issue with my vehicle.

Car was working fine- but since the last few weeks theres a stored and current fault on the temperature sensor being faulty.

I've tried looking everywhere but this thing isnt sold separately, if you buy a new compressor which I did, it came without the sensor.

Can you please give me some more details on the standard NTC sensor? perhaps a link to one online so I could purchase the same, coz the connector and everything looks really different from the wiring socket at the end of the compressor?
Also - if in case the connector is different, is it safe to just solder in the negative and positive from the new sensor onto the existing connector?

Post #442904 27th Jun 2017 9:48pm
Paul Yorke

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

Hi,

did you ever manage to get a temperature sensor.

Sorry for waking this old thread up!

TIA, Yorkey.

Post #562407 23rd Jul 2020 10:25am
markcartlidge

No, I just reset using the obd each time, depends on the ambient temp it can last a few weeks some times each trip. Let me know if you find a cheap solution, unlikely with FFRR Laughing

Post #562474 24th Jul 2020 7:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1