Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Fixed side step removal; what lies underneath?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alaahnx

United States 
Fixed side step removal; what lies underneath?

Hi!
Bought a '12 RR SC Autobiography. These have the appearance package. Mine has the fixed side step in place (VUB503660).

Here is my question: If I remove the side step, what is underneath? Am I going to see the appearance package side skirt? or the fixed side step replaced the skirt when it was installed?

My intention is to get the side skirt look as I am not a fan of how the side step looks on my car.

Thank you so much.

Post #561645 16th Jul 2020 12:01am
Range Rover L322

United Kingdom 

I'm not certain about the appearance package fettling. What I can tell you is I replaced the fixed side steps on a low mileage (29,000) 2012 Autobiography 4.4 TDV8 and the amount of crud underneath was unbelievable. At least a pint of damp mud in the front wheel arch. My Range Rover was not used off road. The brackets holding the mudflaps were falling apart rusty; but the chassis was/is pristine.
I would get them off and see how it looks and what you have to work with.
Do bear in mind the front wing lower sections will have holes drilled for the front mud-flaps which integrate with the steps. These are a different fit to regular mud flaps and the holes will require bodywork or the panels replacing.

Irrespective of what you use to replace the steps with I would strongly recommend giving all of the undersides of the new parts some additional rust prevention, at least some extra paint.

Good luck - post some pictures.

Post #561838 17th Jul 2020 9:20pm
alaahnx

United States 

Thanks for the info. Indeed the side step has surface rust and damp mud was also noted. I also noticed traces of surface rust on the wheel arch which I have the car being treated for.

Post #561862 18th Jul 2020 2:14am
Andy B

England 

Worth checking if the plastic sill under the car has cut outs to accommodate the brackets for the side steps. I will soon be taking the side steps off mine (it's an L405), but I want to replace the plastic sills once the brackets are removed to avoid all manner of crud getting stuck there and causing corrosion. Not cheap, over £500 for two plastic sills! Big Cry SDV8 AB MY 2019
SDV8 VSE MY 2015 - Gone
5.0 S/C AB MY 2010 - Gone
4.2 S/C VSE MY 2006 - Gone

Post #561876 18th Jul 2020 8:29am
alaahnx

United States 

So took the side steps out. The plastic sills do not appear to have cut outs as the side steps go under/lower to the plastic sills.

I also learned that It was wishful thinking to believe there could be the side skirts of the Autobiography appearance package underneath. Only had the "regular" plastic sills of HSE and SC. Attached pic for informational purpose..

Result: Autobiography with fixed side steps does NOT come with Autobiography side skirts

Post #562087 20th Jul 2020 2:36am
Range Rover L322

United Kingdom 

I think the pics were missed off your post - would be great to see them if you have time . I actually think the regular side skirts give it a really clean line but I am not sure if it works with the appearance package you mentioned

Post #562149 20th Jul 2020 7:48pm
TDV8_Tommy

Spain 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Baltic Blue

As I just said on a separate thread, I ditched my side steps early last year. At 6’3” I’m kinda too tall for them.

Upon removal no rust or horrors. Just impacted mud/road dirt. I think they did a pretty good job of deflecting crud from spraying up the sills and doors etc.

During removal I snapped all the fixing bolts, which would normally be a pain but I’ve no plans to replace, so be wary.

Just make sure you get replacement mud flaps, I did. 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Baltic Blue, Jet interior
1997 P38 2.5 DSE auto & 1998 P38 2.5 DT Manual
1988 Vogue 3.5 EFI - Manual, gone.
2004 Volvo C70 2.0T convertible, had since new.
2007 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Sport Roadster/Coupé, had since new.
2024 Mini Cooper S cabrio, JCW kit, 2.0, DCT auto

Post #562159 20th Jul 2020 8:30pm
Range Rover L322

United Kingdom 

Tommy - I hear you on that. I have young kids who need the side step to get in the back and my wife likes the steps too so I replaced them but I certainly agree the L322 looks great without them .

Post #562165 20th Jul 2020 8:42pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

alaahnx wrote:
So took the side steps out. The plastic sills do not appear to have cut outs as the side steps go under/lower to the plastic sills.

I also learned that It was wishful thinking to believe there could be the side skirts of the Autobiography appearance package underneath. Only had the "regular" plastic sills of HSE and SC. Attached pic for informational purpose..

Result: Autobiography with fixed side steps does NOT come with Autobiography side skirts

So, you have what's called the "Design Pack" and fitting side steps unfortunately you have to remove the AB Design Pack side skirts and bin them. You then need to fit regular plastic side skirts as that's how the side steps fit Rolling Eyes Whistle Rolling Eyes
Thumbs Up

Post #562177 20th Jul 2020 9:24pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Range Rover L322 wrote:
Tommy - I hear you on that. I have young kids who need the side step to get in the back and my wife likes the steps too so I replaced them but I certainly agree the L322 looks great without them .

Please be careful getting under an unsupported car with air suspension! Thumbs Up

Post #562178 20th Jul 2020 9:26pm
alaahnx

United States 

Posting images does not appear straightforward! hope this time it goes. Basically it shows a stock image comparison between the non AB and the AB side skirts (now learning it is called the Design Package). I will be sourcing the AB side skirts soon.

Post #562308 22nd Jul 2020 3:31am
alaahnx

United States 

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
alaahnx wrote:

So, you have what's called the "Design Pack" and fitting side steps unfortunately you have to remove the AB Design Pack side skirts and bin them. You then need to fit regular plastic side skirts as that's how the side steps fit Rolling Eyes Whistle Rolling Eyes
Thumbs Up

Actually I bought the car with the side steps and the mudflats installed already. I prefer the more clean look of not having side steps/mudflaps (plus I'm single/no kids so no functional need for them). My plan is to have the AB appearance pack side skirts sourced and installed soon.

Post #562309 22nd Jul 2020 3:41am
Cam-Tech-Craig

Just another quick note to make... Your car im sure will have mudflaps? These will need changing to the design pack mudflaps when you change your side skirts...

However, if you wish to NOT fit any mudflaps? A, do you have rear mudflaps fitted? If yes then they will have holes in the rear bumper when you remove them & B, the front side panels will need either replacing or filling and repainting as these too will have holes drilled into them...

Thumbs Up

Post #562334 22nd Jul 2020 9:59am
alaahnx

United States 

Man! Just checked as described and I do have holes 😳
I had someone remove the mudflats/did not do it myself; if it was not for your post I totally would have missed this! Thanks a lot Craig!

Post #562582 25th Jul 2020 2:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1