Home > Technical (L322) > 4.4 TDV8 won't start - low fuel pressure fault code
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rick293

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
4.4 TDV8 won't start - low fuel pressure fault code

Evening,

My range rover westminster 4.4 TDV8 broke down at the weekend. On saturday morning it started as normal and drove about 20 miles, where I stopped and let the engine idle for a few minutes. I then went to start the engine and it wouldn't start. The hose from the intercooler to the inlet manifold had blown off at the inlet side. I tightened the clamp and it still wouldn't restart.

We then rocked the vehicle to hear if fuel was swishing in the tank, it was but I read about fuel senders failing and falsely reading fuel level. Fuel gauge was reading half a tank. Added 20 litres of diesel but the engine still wouldn't start. Que easy start, as I thought there was air in the system. Engine started on easy start, struggled for a bit and the idled perfectly for 10-15 mins. I then went to apply throttle and the engine cut out.

At this point I plugged in my code reader and there was a few faults for both high and low fuel pressure. The engine wouldn't start until these codes cleared. When the engine started it would idle fine and rev anywhere to 1500rpm where it would then cut out. Could hold 1200rpm with throttle no issue and on all cylinders. When it cut out, again, no restart until fuel pressure codes cleared. Live data fuel pressure reading was around 30000kPa at this stage. Rising to around 50000kPa before cutting out.

This persisted and got worse until the engine did not want to start and when it did it was light on cylinders and very low rpm with fuel pressure reading 10000kPa.

The above is the is the current situation. Vehicle was recovered home yesterday.

Before I gave up for tonight, I noticed the vacuum or breather that connects to the RH airbox below the main connection pipe was not fitted. I suspect this may of been forgot about when I had the airboxs out changing the aux belt tensioner two weeks ago. The RR has done 500 miles since then at least.

Has anyone any ideas on my issue? Or ideas on what to diagnose from here. I'm aware it could be the HPFP. There is only 80k miles on the car.

Thanks,
Rick

Post #562854 27th Jul 2020 9:07pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Unless only just changed, I would change the fuel filter although it sounds as though the fuel pressure could be too high.

Post #562861 27th Jul 2020 9:52pm
rick293

Changed the fuel filter tonight and put some neat injector cleaner into the new filter. No difference. Long crank time to a reluctant start at 500rpm idle on live data.

What should the fuel rail pressure be at idle in these?

Post #562863 27th Jul 2020 10:39pm
GraemeS

I don't have any specs on the 4.4 TDV8 but the 3.0 TDV6 has up to 29000 psi / 2000 bar.

Post #562865 27th Jul 2020 10:58pm
rick293

Last night I cracked an injector pipe while cranking. No diesel.

The two pipes that attach to the top of the HPFP. What are these? I assume one in a fuel delivery line? There is zero fuel in both of these pipes. With both removed and ignition on, no fuel appears either.

Post #562950 29th Jul 2020 7:18am
GraemeS

Can you get any fuel out of the low pressure pump in the engine bay?

Post #562952 29th Jul 2020 7:55am
rick293

Is this at the outlet at the fuel filter? If I turn ignition on and push in the bleed valve diesel will come out.

Post #562980 29th Jul 2020 10:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1