Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Potential purchase - what to look out for
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
will_warne

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey
Potential purchase - what to look out for

Having successfully sold my L322 5.0 supercharged (and missing it already), I'm off to look at this L405:

https://www.theelitecarriageco.co.uk/used-...site-visit

It has obviously got an aftermarket grill and the wheels have been refurbished (not totally sold on these from the photos - I may need to go shopping for a set of turbines...), but otherwise it looks fairly straight.

Before I head off, I wanted to get any pointers on things to particularly look out for other than the obvious. On the engine front, I know all of the potential 5.0 pitfalls (water pump, supercharger coupling, timing chains) and will keep an eye out for those. Are their any corrosion issues to look out for? I know the L405 is predominantly Aluminium, so won't rust. However, from my experience with Defenders and Lotus Elises that that doesn't mean they don't corrode.

Are there any of the electrical systems that are particularly prone to issues?

TIA Thumbs Up

Post #564946 18th Aug 2020 8:12pm
Boatmechanic

Sweden 

You want a MY15 or later car with the bugs fixed.

Post #564958 18th Aug 2020 10:35pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

My 2017 MY in almost 26,000 miles has needed a few software updates, the gear selector had to be replaced due to squeaking as it emerged, there was an oil leak from the transmission oil cooler pipe connector and the upper tailgate was misaligned, but otherwise fine, better than my 322s. The only corrosion I have noticed so far is some bubbling on a door handle and some runs under the lacquer of the diamond cut wheel faces. There is some scoring on the inner faces of the front discs and the advice is to replace when the pads need to be replaced. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #564986 19th Aug 2020 10:28am
will_warne

Thanks both. I appreciate that the later MYs will have ironed out some of the bugs. However, there aren't many decent options out there for post MY15 that don't totally blow the budget. Just missed out on a nice 65 plate blue one (which, annoyingly, had been on the market for some time). The only sub £40k supercharged post MY15 car is one at a LR dealer that's not a great colour combo and is a bit rough...

I'll have a close general look at the one I included a link to. On brakes (which were basically a service item on my 5.0 L322), I'll take a close look as the car's been sitting for at least a few months. I'm pleased to see that the front pads and discs are a bit cheaper on the L405 than late model L322s. Being lighter should help them live longer too (maybe...)

Post #564997 19th Aug 2020 1:23pm
horse86

United States 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

I feel you....I loved my l322 and still miss that boxy beast....but had almosr 200k on it so it was time.

I have a 14 l405 ATB and really no issues other than the rear diff seal and pinion....but I knew that when I bought it. And some brake related issues that came from the "female" crushing a pothole (nothing a new rotor didn't fix). I do have a clunk every now and then from the front which I think is attributed to needing low arm bushings...but these are notied for going through those quickly. Have had it for about 5k miles so far.....just hit 36k miles. The 5.0L V8 SC is silly fast for a SUV 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #565000 19th Aug 2020 1:42pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

there is a buyers guide in our wiki that should help you on your quest.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #565003 19th Aug 2020 2:08pm
Tom_T

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Car looks nice Thumbs Up

If you do decide to purchase and want a set of turbines, i have a set of replica turbines that i took off mine. They need a light refurb as a couple have small scuffs on them. Was going to refurb them and put them up for sale on here but if you're interested in taking them as they are then PM me and we can discuss. Tom

2013 Causeway Grey 4.4 AB
2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 Limited
2016 Ford Focus RS

Post #565004 19th Aug 2020 2:39pm
will_warne

Thanks Horse - I will keep an eye out for clunks on the front end. I have experience of front arms needing doing on the L322 after ~90k, but it sounds like they will need doing sooner on 405s....

I'm expecting it to be fairly brisk. My L322 with the same engine certainly was, but in the L405 it has less weight to push and the 8 speed box. However, from what I understand the L405 can actually go around corners Laughing I don't do slow cars - SWMBO's practical run around is a current generation Ford Focus ST and my toy is an modified S1 Lotus Elise (sub 700kgs and 215bhp of naturally aspirated goodness - very silly). That's before we touch on the Defender thing with an LS engine that has been sat for too many years waiting for me to have time to finish....

Post #565007 19th Aug 2020 2:54pm
will_warne

Thanks Tom - I will keep that in mind!

Post #565008 19th Aug 2020 2:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1