Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Roof bars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
MattyEssex

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV6 Causeway Grey

bestman wrote:
I’ve taken them off now - look neat, 135cm gives, what appears to be, the right amount of ‘overhang’. Won’t be going back on for a couple of months when I’ll post a pic.

Would really be interested to see a picture of this as currently looking at roof rails for mine and trying to work out if my Thule bars from my Q7 will fit as then I only then need to order the Thule Evo Raised Rail Footpack 7104 as advised by yourself bestman - thank you.

Post #561797 17th Jul 2020 3:46pm
Crasher242

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I've been looking into this recently as I have a need to cart multiple bikes around (and taking the wheels off so they can go into the boot is a faff at best).

My L405 doesn't have the OEM rails, nor does it have a tow-bar (but does have the pano roof), so options have been limited.

I'd originally looked into getting the OEM rail kit, but Red Merle had kindly advised me about their build quality (made of cheese or similar Very Happy ).

This 'ludicrously expensive kit" from famous-four (as per the link at the very beginning of this thread) does look the part, but there is no info on what its made of? Is it any better constructed than the OEM set? Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Audi A6 Avant (the petrol guzzling Bi-turbo)
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #562425 23rd Jul 2020 2:43pm
Crasher242

In my continuing investigations into an 'affordable' roof-rail/rack solution (to carry bikes) I stumbled across this..

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-racks-a...12-onwards

So claims to be a 'fitted' clamp system, rather than relying on rails (which mine doesn't have anyway).

Wondered if anyone else had looked into these before?

The price is certainly more pocket-friendly than the OEM Rail/bar system Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #564451 13th Aug 2020 11:58am
MattyEssex

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV6 Causeway Grey

I put the rails on few weeks back and have to say I am impressed. They are not soft, I purchased the Thule bars and clamps and hold very well with no markings when removed. The bars have the width that enabled me to fit everything on top. The ones you show look quite narrow?

I fully loaded the roof with RoofBox, Bike and Kayak on way home (holiday purchase) and it performed very well as per picture.

I keep seeing an advert on facebook for a bike carrier where the L405 has clamped roof bars pic below. This is the suppliers in the UK for the bike rack, may well know the roof bars in the pic?
Eurax Ltd
Gloucestershire
Phone Number 0845 3303052

Post #564457 13th Aug 2020 1:04pm
Crasher242

I did look them up - couldn't find a website for them, however the bars in that picture are made by Menabo - who appear to be a European company (Italy if I recall).

Anyway, I called up the previous link I had posted (Micks Garage) and spoke to someone to discuss whether their roof bar kit would fit my car. Sounded like they would so have taken a punt and bought a set.

If weather permits when the bars arrive, I'll post some photos of how they (hopefully) fit. Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #564822 17th Aug 2020 2:58pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that they’ll fit okay. I might buy a set myself if they do, so grateful for any feedback. 👍

Post #564841 17th Aug 2020 8:04pm
luxmoggy

Germany 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Montalcino Red

I found a website; DELTA XL SILVER + FEET KIT + DLKIT27G

https://us.menabocaraccessories.com/en/000...mu000.html

it says they fit the L405 without the rails.

With some trouble, I found them listed for €99...

https://www.dachtraegeronline.de/dachtraeg...=219639537 SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio
Kit: Jaguar XK140 (in progress - the website is link to build)

Post #564848 17th Aug 2020 9:23pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

The question that would bother me is whether they are OK with the panoramic roof.

When Thule don't make them for the L405, there has to be a reason.....

Post #564868 18th Aug 2020 7:48am
Dave G

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

The panoramic roof could well be an issue!

In my previous business I was a Thule dealer, we had a claim for a cracked roof on a Ford S-Max after we fitted a Thule roof bar system!

Thule settled the claim, but immediately became cautious of recommending roof bars to be fitted to ANY car with a panoramic roof unless it was a fixpoint system (fixings supplied in roof from factory) or factory rails!

Dave.

Post #564872 18th Aug 2020 8:39am
pherplexed

United States 

Alistair wrote:
The question that would bother me is whether they are OK with the panoramic roof.

When Thule don't make them for the L405, there has to be a reason.....

FWIW Thule works just fine on my L405 factory rails and the pano roof opens without issue. They don't 'officially' support it b/c they don't want the liability of someone's pano roof getting damaged while opening, as Dave G mentioned.

That being said, it is a low profile. So whenever I put my bike rack on, the bars have to be positioned in very specific spots for the roof to open without obstruction from the bike tray brackets.

So if those menabo's are anything like the Thule bars, should be enough clearance for the panoramic roof to open, just be cautious with positioning once you have something mounted. 2021 P525 | Eiger Gray

Post #564927 18th Aug 2020 6:15pm
Crasher242

** Warning - photo-heavy post! **

OK, so this weekend I fitted the roof bars, and attempted to take some photos (with my phone) during the fitting (when it wasn't raining!)...

I got the kit from the website I'd mentioned in an earlier post on this thread - it was shipped from Ireland so took about 5 days to arrive. 2 boxes - a very long box with the bars, and a small box with the all-important "foot pack"
Contents of the footpack

Click image to enlarge

You get instructions, 4 angular brackets that are shaped for the vehicle, and the feet come as 2 pieces - a hard plastic mount that attaches to the bracket, and a softer rubber foot that attaches to the plastic mount.
These all fix into a generic carrier that is bolted to the roof bar.

And a poor shot of the bars in their box too
Click image to enlarge

As expected, the bars are generic and contain generic fitting instructions, so you have to follow the foot pack specifics for the kit - essentially this lays out where on the bar the feet are supposed to go

Here's what an assembled foot looks like on the bar

Click image to enlarge

There is a long bolt that draws through the assembly and essentially clamps the foot onto the roof, with the main contact points being the bracket in the door frame lip, and the soft foot on the roof...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I put the front bar on first, and it took a bit of fettling to get it to sit, and even more so to torque it to the required setting.
As I was putting the rear bar on, the front bar 'popped' (actually it was more of an explosion) - and sprang off the roof with such force that it went spinning off into the garden (luckily missing Mrs C's car!).

Closer inspection on the rear bar revealed that as I was torquing theming bolts into the brackets, the whole foot was pivoting on the rubber bit in contact with the roof, and thus slowly splaying the brackets out and away from the door lip.
Difficult to show in photos, but it was clear to see when you were slowing tightening it all up.

I took the whole lot off, and removed the soft rubber bits and the hard plastic feet, thinking that maybe the whole lot would just sit better clamped to the door lip. However when I mounted the bar and started to tighten up I spotted that the brackets were starting to lean into the roof line, so called and a halt.

Plan B (or is it plan C) - I restored the hard plastic feet, but omitted the soft rubber bits, and then re-mounted the front bar. This time when torquing down the brackets remained firmly gripped to the door lip. The feet now sat using the harder plastic in contact with the roof, rather than the soft rubber. After mounting one, I then removed it (again) to check the roof - happy that it wasn't marking the paintwork or denting the metal - I reassembled both bars.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The kit came with some nice plastic lockable covers, that protect the assembly mechanism from tampering.

Finally, I was able to bolt on 2 bike carriers.

Click image to enlarge

The bars are aero in style, and come with the standard 'T' channels so will take all the standard roof-bar attachments (as you can see from my Thule bike carriers).

So in conclusion...Whilst I was a bit skeptical that the kit would work, I was able to get it to fix down without causing any damage to the car itself.
They are certainly not 'quick release' bars - for me, these will probably stay fitted to the car for the summer/autumn biking season, and then I'll remove them for the winter (as I'm unlikely to be travelling anywhere with the bikes).

Sorry for the ramble - I'll happily take questions and/or provide more photos if you need them

Cheers

**EDIT To add**
I haven't check with my pano roof - and now the kit is on I am reluctant to do so - If anyone can tell me how high the pano roof lifts up with it opens I can measure up to see if I am going to be in trouble Smile Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #565329 24th Aug 2020 12:36pm
LT

Many thanks for the write up and photos.

The time to fit and remove isn't ideal, but it's an option for the future if needed and that's good to know about. Thumbs Up

Post #565344 24th Aug 2020 2:28pm
Crasher242

I reckon I could get quicker at fitting removing them with practice.

The main time consumer (once I'd sorted the feet) was making sure they were positioned at the recommended fixing points. The front bar is located 5cm in from the corner of the door aperture, and the rear is 7cm

A torque wrench is a must - the brackets only torque down to 3nm, so it was handy that I own a smaller bike torque wrench that has accurate settings for these lower figures.

The bolt itself is a 5mm hex - so fairly standard.

I've been out in the car today and the bars remained attached (which is a plus point) - usual wind-related noise that you'd expect from bars.
I've not yet gone out with a bike attached - will do that later in the week, just to be absolutely sure things are not going to fall off!
The bars I bought have a rated load capacity of 60kilos. Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #565351 24th Aug 2020 3:34pm
LT

I have a large roofbox. Not used it for a few years, but I’m loathed to get rid off it, especially as the FFRR doesn’t have as much useable space as my previous D3/4’s.

Post #565352 24th Aug 2020 3:38pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

its not natural to put all that weight on thin metal bars on top of a beloved FF....

i dont think i would take the risk but kudus to those who do...

works for this chap,

... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #565354 24th Aug 2020 3:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>