Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Replacing the Front Windscreen Wiper Motor - with pics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ksskaret

Norway 2010 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
Replacing the Front Windscreen Wiper Motor - with pics

Finally I got the new wiper motor and spent 1 hour to replace it this afternoon. As for the Discovery 3 replacing the FFRR front wiper motor is a straight forward job.
Tools needed:
- 15 mm socket
- Torx T25 (or was it T20)
- 10 mm wrench
- plastic trim removal tool, crowbar like - its not 100% necessary but reduses trim marks

- Put the bonnet in maintenance position.
- Disconnect the ground battery cable.
- Remove far side A-pillar moulding (RH on LHD, it is not necessary to remove both) by pushing in the 4x center pins, you will need to replace these with new ones due to lack of center pins.
This are the A-pillar moulding clips:

Then pull the moulding forwards, it is still fixed with 4x yellow clips.

Click image to enlarge

Yellow clips can be reused.

Click image to enlarge

- Removal of wiper arms:
Before removal mark the position of the wiper blades with tape, it makes it easier to align the wiper arms when refitting

Remove both nut covers by pulling them off.
remove bot nuts with a 15 mm socket, then with a general purpose puller remove the wiper arms, it might help to assist the puller with «refitting» (just a few turns) the nut to center the puller.

- Removal of the Cowl Panel Grille
loosen the two drain tubes on either side by pulling them downwards, then remove 4x clips with a small screwdriver or a trim removal tool, the clips can be reused - forgot to take a pic, but they look like round plastic caps (15 mm diameter).

This is the clip:

Remove the cowl by starting at the far side by pulling it forwards - I used a plastic trim removal tool by inserting it between the windscreen and the cowl.

Removal of wiper motor assembly
Remove 5x torx sreews with a T25, 1x in front of motor and 2x on both sides of the assembly.
Disconnect the wiring to the wiper motor by pushing the black part of the connector sideways
remove the wiper motor from the engine bay.

The connector:

(Then trow a 10mm wrench into the engine bay so you can spend 30 minutes finding out where it went)

Refitting in reverse order but before fitting the wiper arms, reconnect the battery and run a test wiper test, this will also assure that the wiper pivots are in «park» position.
I also put some aluminum paste on the pivots before fitting the wiper arms.

Hope this can help others figuring out if they can do the job themselves Smile

Regards
Knut Range Rover TdV8 Autobiography MY2010
Defender 110stw Td5 MY2006

Last edited by ksskaret on 17th Sep 2015 8:13pm. Edited 4 times in total

Post #271497 17th Jul 2014 9:15pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Nice job, well done Thumbs Up

Stan is this worth wikinig ? Wink If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #271498 17th Jul 2014 9:22pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

good how to's are always worth wiki'ing, done Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #271541 18th Jul 2014 6:37am
Joe90

England 

Nice work Thumbs Up

If IIRC I can remove my cowl without removing the A pillar, I know I had it off (ooer!) before the windscreen guys took of the A pillars to fit a new windscreen a few years ago. Could be wrong?

Many screen fitters will use rivets (they did on mine) to replace the fixings in the A pillars so some owners may have a bit more work to do if their screen has been replaced?

Odd seeing it all back to front on a LHD, but I like the position of the ABS modulator Smile .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #271568 18th Jul 2014 9:50am
paulmoran2

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Mariana Black

Great write up.... Thumbs Up GONE 2010 Facelifted 3.6 TDV8 - Stornoway Grey + 22" Overfinch Olympus
HAVE 1999 Discovery 2 GS 4.0 V8 - Silver - Off Road Toy
GONE 2013 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue. Black with Silver roofline and 22" s
HAVE 2015 Jaguar XF.

Post #271574 18th Jul 2014 10:22am
goldsax

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

well timed thread , as about to do this tomorrow Thumbs Up 2011 4.4 TdV8 Nara Bronze

Post #271840 19th Jul 2014 8:49pm
bebechoon

France 

Many thanks to ksskaret for this! It was of great help in replacing my scuttle panel / cowl with a new one. It took around 1h30 in all, but I like to work slowly and carefully. Someone more skilled could probably do it in quite a bit less than an hour.
The work was a bit fiddly but reasonably straightforward. And I confirm what Joe90 said: there’s no need to remove the A-pillar mouldings.
I hope I've cured the wind noise from the rubber windscreen trim/seal (previously “repaired” with black sealant – very unsightly!). At least it looks much nicer now, especially with shiny new black clip heads showing instead of the sun-discoloured white ones! It's "bébéchoon", ackcherly, with accents. 'Steve' to my chums.
20 years ownership of Solihull products, ALL GONE NOW, sniff!
Current motor: Suzuki S-Cross 4WD auto, 1.4 petrol. Oh so reliable! 5 years now and no problems. Oh, all right then, a leaking shocker replaced under guarantee.
Previous:
TD6 HSE L322 Auto FF
2.5 TDi 4-door Classic
Disco II
And my 1st Rangie: in 1995, a 2-door VM 2.5 diesel Classic
Not to mention the Lada Niva before those. (I said not to mention it!)

Post #302493 3rd Jan 2015 1:09pm
zoso

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Very good write up Thumbs Up

Did this today after the windscreen wipers developed a life of their own. Pretty straightforward job easily completed within an hour. The most awkward part, for me anyway, was removing the wiper arms which seemed to be welded to the pivots. Didn't need to remove the A post trim but it comes out easier if you start removing the cowl from the passenger side. 2017 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
2016 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - GONE
2013 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - GONE
2010 3.6 TDV8 - GONE
2008 3.6 TDV8 - GONE
2002 3.0 TD6 - GONE
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S - GONE
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 - GONE
2003 Discovery 2 TD5 - GONE
1999 Discovery 300 TDI - GONE
1998 Range Rover DSE - GONE
1997 Discovery 300 TDI - GONE

Post #566397 5th Sep 2020 7:49pm
bishbosh10

United Kingdom 

I had the park switch fault this week and found this thread very useful, thanks.

I ordered a new wiper motor from Island 4x4 but despite their website stating 1-2 days it turns out that I wouldn’t get hold of the new one until Christmas!

So, I was left with a dilemma. Do I soldier on with dodgy wipers hoping it doesn’t rain or do I take a punt on a used motor from eBay? What made me hesitate was some sites say the same part number works for all years but others said up to 09. With mine being an 11 plate I was torn…

Anyhow, given the lead time on the new part I went for it and ordered a £30 replacement from an 03 model year. To check it worked I just plugged the motor into the loom before dismantling anything and got all the correct behaviours. I then cleared the fault and operated the wipers and the fault didn’t reappear Cool . It then struck me that my linkage is 8 years younger than the one that came with the replacement motor so decided to just swap the motor over. Very easy to do, it is just a fiddle to manoeuvre the motor out of the cramped space. I took the front bolt out of the mounting plate which gave me just enough flex to get it out.

So, if you are unsure about compatibility, I can confirm that any year would appear to work. Smile Bish.

2005 110 TD5 CSW
2011 TDV8 Vogue SE (gone)

Post #610149 23rd Oct 2021 2:16pm
bishbosh10

United Kingdom 

Just to add, had a drive in the rain today and all is well. Smile Happy days! Bish.

2005 110 TD5 CSW
2011 TDV8 Vogue SE (gone)

Post #610263 24th Oct 2021 5:35pm
jellmers

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Nice write up and had the same issue and done exactly what you said below, but basically because it’s currently nigh on impossible to source a decently priced new one….

One question, how did you manage to change the motor without taking off the linkage, or did you have to take it all out to swap the motor over? Given the motor is behind the plate when on the car it doesn’t seem do’able while attached in the engine bay??

zoso wrote:
Very good write up Thumbs Up

Did this today after the windscreen wipers developed a life of their own. Pretty straightforward job easily completed within an hour. The most awkward part, for me anyway, was removing the wiper arms which seemed to be welded to the pivots. Didn't need to remove the A post trim but it comes out easier if you start removing the cowl from the passenger side.

Post #628848 17th Apr 2022 8:15am
jellmers

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

So just in case anyone else finds this post and needs to do the same…

I can confirm that you can just change the motor while everything (trim, arms and linkage) is in place…

Put your bonnet in maintenance mode.
Then there is just enough room to get a set of spanners into the space.
Start with the axle nut
You may need to give the shaft a tap to get the linkage off the spline.
Once off, you can move the linkage out the way to access the 3x10mm bolts.
One hand holding the motor while removing the last bolt and then a bit of manipulation, and out it comes.
Installing is the reverse making sure the parked wipers fit on the spline in the same place where it came off.

Takes about 30mins.

Post #628863 17th Apr 2022 10:09am
drphilgarner

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

As above this is quite straightforward if you just swap out the motor.

The motor alone isn't available from JLR, so finding an alternative is a better plan if you have have an issue with your wipers parking. New reproduction motors are available from many manufacturers (OE is Valeo). If you search 67638360603 this is a BMW part number and you can find these from the usual retailers. Autodoc have them and so do GSF.

It seems like the E39 5 series shares the wiper motor with all L322 model years. 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue

Post #681046 23rd Dec 2023 7:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1