Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Here we go again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Captain Black

England 2018 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
Here we go again

Hi Chaps, I haven’t been on for a while as I haven’t had any problems or issues with my owned from new March 2018 (MY2017) (14086 miles) Vogue for quite some time…………… I knew it would only be a matter of time and sure enough………….. I also apologise for the length of the post but the past issue may have some relevance to the current situation.

This might be one for Craig.

Back Ground:
Almost to the week twelve months ago whilst setting off for the airport the car tossed its teddy's out, went into limp mode with dozens of faults flashing on the dashboard. Pulled over when we could and turned off the engine etc. left it a few minutes and tried to restart…… nothing, dead as a door nail. Turned everything off again and left it about 15 minutes before retrying. Engine started but still flashed up all the faults. As we weren't far from home we returned in limp mode and called LR assistance. They were great and sent out a subcontracted tech who whilst admitting he didn’t know much about LR's he would plug in his tester. This he did and reported a blown turbo and said the car would need recovering to a dealer. Again LR assistance were fantastic, arranged the recovery and a taxi to take us to the airport. On our return from the US they arranged a further taxi to get us home and a loan car. All good service as exactly what you would expect.
Long story short, dealer (Milton Keynes) had the car for 5 weeks and couldn’t diagnose the fault/s (the tech that came to our house had apparently cleared all the faults down) or replicate them despite plenty of test drives etc. The dealer also had to clean dirty greasy marks from driver's seat, replace the steering wheel and key fob due to grease on the steering wheel they couldn’t get out and the key fob being covered in huge scratches which was all caused by the recovery driver. Said recovery driver also just dump the car at the dealers, left the driver's side window open and pushed the keys thought the letter box.

I was told to collect the car and 'give it a try and see if it happens again' it didn’t and all has been fine.

Current:
Car was had its second year service on the 6th July. (Peterborough) which was 4 month late due to the Covid situation.
The other day I got a warning saying I didn’t have the key fob in the car which I did so assumed the battery had run down. I replaced the battery.
The following day (Saturday) the car failed to start and scrolled the following faults on the dash: Gearbox Fault, HDC not available system fault, Adaptive Dynamics fault, Forward alert not available, AEB not available. The low button was also flashing on the centre console. From memory some or all of these faults are the same as last year.

I left the car for an hour or so and tried again, this time it started but the gear selection knob wouldn’t turn into gear. Same messages on the dash but an option to clear by pressing OK. This I did and everything seems to have gone back to normal.
Having read through the many electrical faults other members have reported I thought it pertinent to check the battery condition this afternoon. Multimeter reading was 12.29v which didn’t drop on engine cranking and starting, reading 14v once running which rose over the next minute so I guess it's not too bad and was charging ok.

Interestingly, I've never lifted the spare wheel cover and the spare wheel has never been used but I noticed the spare wheel lift assist and locking wheel nut adaptor are missing from their slots. The black polystyrene cover over the red battery terminal was also snapped off and the post which holds the wheel down is bent. It doesn’t take Morse to work out this most likely was done by Milton Keynes during the five weeks they had it last year. I am guessing the wheel adaptor and lift assist will have also gone walkies at the same time. But as the car went for service at Peterborough last month. Either way I am not delighted someone has trousered them and would have been even more pee'd off if I had discovered they are missing on a wet night with puncture.

I am hopeful someone can cast some light on what might be going on with the car fault warning etc and how I should approach the two dealers regarding the missing items.

Thank you in advance
David 2019 BMW 440i convertable (hers)
2018 (MY2017) RR Vogue (mine)
2016 Mercedes SLK (her's, gone)
2016 Honda CB1100EX (calm sunny days)
2015 Honda CRF250 full blown motocross (when my bad back is up to it)
2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale (Gone. It would have killed me)
2012 Kubota B Series Tractor (The grass doesn't cut itself)
2011 Honda CB1000 Fireblade (Crazy sunny days)
Last 20 years mix of Mercedes E & ML Class

Last edited by Captain Black on 31st Aug 2020 6:40pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #565988 31st Aug 2020 5:58pm
Bloke

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I'd chuck a new battery in clear any codes and hope that sorts it out?

Post #565990 31st Aug 2020 6:04pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

I am with Bloke on this one, sounds daft but even the slightest battery issue can raise hell with them Thumbs Up

Post #565993 31st Aug 2020 6:21pm
jettec

Australia 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Fuji White

Yes! I had battery issues all the warning you have stated.
New battery fitted all faults went away, but not straight away .
Had to do a few trips and the car seemed to then figure out all is good. No more faults.

Post #566089 2nd Sep 2020 12:49am
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

As per another recent post - if you fit a new battery then you should update the power gateway module otherwise it takes the car some time to work out a new battery has been fitted Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #566120 2nd Sep 2020 5:06pm
Captain Black

Thank you guys for all your input.

Having spoken to Land Rover Peterborough it was confirmed the battery will be replaced under the vehicle warranty if found to be defective. The car is booked in for this coming Thursday. I'm not holding my breath……

Regarding the snapped cover over the positive battery terminal and the missing wheel nut bolt and spare wheel assist. I was informed that during a second year service the wheels are not removed and therefore the technician would have no requirement to enter the spare wheel area and as such anything missing or damaged would not have been during the service.

I have also spoken to Land Rover Milton Keynes who supplied me the vehicle new, did the first service and had the vehicle for 5 weeks in September last year following being recovered after breaking down.
The service department were surprising unhelpful. As far as they are concerned all technicians are fully trained and therefore would not have snapped the cover or failed to replace the wheel locking bolt or wheel assist, had they needed to remove them. I should have reported it at the time of collecting the vehicle not nearly twelve months later. I agreed it was some time ago but why would I need to go into that area unless I had had a puncture or as is the case now I have a potential battery problem. All I got was a total rejection that this could have possibly happened whilst they had the car. But they have offered to sell me a new wheel locking bolt for £95.57 plus VAT.

I have also attempted to speak to the salesman who sold me the car when it was new to enquire if it would be possible and would it have been noted at PDI that the missing things where not fitted but so far my calls have not been returned. Not impressed. 2019 BMW 440i convertable (hers)

Post #566528 7th Sep 2020 6:19pm
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

I feel your pain, I really do. Neutral

Having owned a few cars from new myself, you expect things to be 100% right and if there is a problem, for it to be resolved professionally, not be left feeling like a nuisance (which dealers have a knack of doing) - especially when you've spent a serious amount of money buying it.

I really hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

One thought though... could the recovery guy have been in the boot to put a booster pack on it to jump start the car? Might be him that damaged the battery cover / even knicked the locker (although I'd hope not)? I guess you'll never know...

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #566540 7th Sep 2020 8:11pm
Captain Black

Hi Jon

(………….incoming rant warning………………..)

I hadn’t mentioned the recovery truck driver as it wasn’t relevant to past and current dash warnings. However, I was less than happy with his attitude and the way he treated the car. He seemed to be really Censored off that he had been called out on a Saturday afternoon.

The taxi arranged by LR assist to take us to the airport arrived shortly after the car was recovered onto the low loader.
Despite having filthy overalls and hands he made no attempt to cover the driver's seat or steering wheel. He didn’t need to boost the car as it started and he managed to drive it onto the low loader. Once the vehicle was loaded he slung my car key onto the loader deck before strapping the wheels down. When I made comment regarding this action he just shrugged. Picked up the key and as I walked away fuming I heard the key clatter on the deck again. If I had been twenty years younger he would have found himself flat on his back. After ranting to my wife I called LRA and reported his actions.
Whilst we were in the US I spoke to the dealership on the Monday who told me the car had been dumped in their car park with the driver's window left open. The key had just been shoved through the letter box with no paperwork or explanation. When I asked, I was also told that the driver's seat, steering wheel and carpet had dirty marks plus the key was scratched. This was also reported to LRA.

To be fair the dealership managed to get the grease out of the seat and carpet but the steering wheel was still marked when I went to collect the car. I refused to accept the car and between the dealership and LRA it was agreed that they would replace the steering wheel and key.

So to answer your question Jon, yes, it is entirely possible that the recovery driver took the wheel locking bolt and spare wheel assist. However, as far as I am concerned someone has removed them whist in the care of the LR dealer or one of its subcontractors. We will never know.

One thing I do know is the dreadful attitude of the dealership has made me reconsider my opinion of LR. I was a loyal customer of Mercedes for nearly twenty years until I purchased a 'Friday afternoon build' E class which spent more time in the dealership than on the road. It wasn’t the fact I had a duff car it was the dealerships attitude that drove me away from the brand. Having said that BMW are no better. Having decided we would never buy another Mercedes we changed my wife's 3 year old SLK for a new 440i convertible last September, on collection day we discovered a large scratch on the rear panel which they agreed repair. Once home we discovered the rear floor mats where missing, as was the wind deflection screen and car manual. Plus the front number plate had been screwed on at a stupid angle, when I removed the plate there was another hole in the bumper that had also been miss drilled. The missing items where provided quickly enough but getting them to repair the scratch was a nightmare and when they eventually repaired it and delivered the car back we had to have it valeted to get all the dust out of everything and the muddy foot prints out of the carpet. When I complained and provided photographs I was told the car had been properly cleaned before it left so…………..

I give up……….. They are all as bad as each other.

Now where did i put the Prozac. 2019 BMW 440i convertable (hers)

Post #566609 8th Sep 2020 12:58pm
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

Hi Cpt Black,

They are, indeed, all as bad as each other. Happy to take £80K+ off you, then run to the hills, seemingly forgetting you're now less likely to repeat the same thing again in 3 or 4 years time... Perhaps it's because garage staff don't generally stick around that long, or it's the disconnect between sales and after-sales prevelent within dealerships that's the crux of the issue.

I know that Mercedes have a terrible reputation. My Dad used to buy a new E class every 2 years, the after sales service he received was frankly despicable. He's now had three BMW's on the trot, mainly because he's found a dealer (Malton Motors - no connection) who he's very happy with and looks after him (he's in his 80's now).

My opinion - There's a financial storm coming following this Covid crisis, there'll be a lot of returned vehicles bought on the 'never never' and the dealers will have to start working harder to keep their customers. Hopefully, the bad ones will disappear altogether.

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #566618 8th Sep 2020 3:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1