Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > M62 V8 4.4 misfire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
vs322

Greece 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
M62 V8 4.4 misfire

A few days ago noticed a slight shudder under acceleration. Almost imperceptible at first, like driving over very small road bumps. But since the particular road which I use every day has no such imperfections, it had to be the car.
At first I was worried about the TC slipping but yesterday this became more frequent and pronounced, sometimes triggering a flashing CEL. Which probably has to do with the ignition and not with the transmission. I called my mechanic and ordered a full set of NGK coils which should be in by tomorrow.
Today, I had to use the car (no choice really), and opted to drive rather conservatively. Everything was fine in the morning going to work but on the way back got the shudder followed by a flashing CEL for a few seconds and then it stayed on for good.
Have checked the covers for oil and moisture but they're all dry. Had done the rocker cover gaskets and changed the spark plugs with NGK Platinum while at it, last May. Regret I didn't change the damned coils back then Censored don't know what I was thinking...
I guess will know soon enough and update you all tomorrow on my findings but in the meantime I could use some reassurance here...Especially that I didn't screw up anything now that the CEL is on solid...

Post #567336 17th Sep 2020 8:34pm
ChrisRRV

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Had the same issue on my own.

However never got the solid CEL mine only came on intermittently and an off on on the car cured it for another few hundred miles.

Diagnositic machine said misfire on coil 6

So I changed all sparks and that coil

Noticed some oil on all coils but seems the gasket seals wear easily so ive still to change those in the next few weeks.

Easy job to sort on the drive way

Post #567372 18th Sep 2020 10:06am
Willfen57

United Kingdom 

I have a complete engine with new coils on some and some used good ones if it helps any one out the engine was removed three weeks ago I had mine replaced as I suspected it dropped a valve

Post #567376 18th Sep 2020 10:27am
vs322

I had a very, very tiring Friday afternoon trying to solve the issue with my mechanic.
This was one of those times you're sure you know what's going on but turns out you know nothing...
So we plugged in the diagnostic. Before the readings came out I said I had a gut feeling it would be #5 cylinder misfiring. My guy gives me that look as it turns out to be the exact one...go figure.
We put the new coils on and half an hour later I'm on my way home. As I hit the motorway, the car begins to misfire, yet again. So I exit and spend a horrible 30 minute drive through heavy traffic, engine coughing and car shaking before reaching the workshop.
Again, reading #5 cylinder misfire. We check the plugs and sure enough the #5 was a mess.
Swapped with #6 and the reading changes accordingly.
Bear on mind these were nearly brand new quad ground platinum NGKs installed last May!!!!
The ignition coils on the other hand, were dated wk 15 2003 and most probably the factory ones!!!
My mechanic was out of stock of the particular plugs.
Being Friday early evening, we had to literally knock on doors just to be able to source a used one to get me home!
Even like this, the car runs like a dream ...

Lessons learned

1 - Always check those plugs, old or new they're fair game
2 - The car and its components, contrary to common misconceptions, are of the highest build quality.
3 - Have a good relationship with your mechanic. (Pretty easy owning a Land Rover)

Post #567409 18th Sep 2020 7:26pm
vs322

Had a chat with a spare parts supplier as to what could have caused a brand new spark plug to fail. He said that a factory defective spark plug would not be unheard of.
But he is more inclined towards the theory of the old ignition coil messing with the fresh spark plug.
The whole repair could have been of about 15 Euros cost by just replacing the plug but I would have changed those coils sooner or later and wouldn't risk any other ignition system complications.
I'll change the rest of the plugs on Monday for good measure. I know that's an overkill but there's practically no difference between a 450 and a 500 euro bill after all...

Post #567440 19th Sep 2020 9:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1