Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Review, swapped 20's on scorpions for 19's on duratracs.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WickNordin

United Kingdom 
Review, swapped 20's on scorpions for 19's on duratracs.

My 2009 facelift Vogue SE came with 20's, with pirelli scorpions, not cheap tyres, the proper ones. I was always a bit disappointed with how it rode, nothing like my old Lexus LS400 and LS460, generally a bit disappointing, probably more in line with my girlfriends BMW E65 730d on 20's, comfort wise, and understandably dynamically not a patch also, a surprising amount of road noise.

When I was looking to buy the car, I remember watching the "Harry's garage" video on YouTube where he went on about how if you had an L322 he felt 20's and pirellis were an absolute must for your L322 to drive well, and I massively disagree.

I recently bought some second hand 19's from the correct year car and some Goodyear duratracs from camskill, the correct ones as recommended by land rover and I have to say, the car drives considerably smoother, it doesn't feel like it's suffering from huge amounts of unsprung weight as it thuds through potholes any more, bizarrely, (on my freebie phone app, none scientific) it's almost a dB quieter on the same section of road (tyre roar reduced but partially replaced with a light hum). It doesn't squeal around car parks any more and it'll still travel happily at the same speeds down back roads.

I'd imagine absolute grip will be reduced slightly but this isn't my trackday car, so aside from a moral obligation to have a car that brakes safely j don't think we need to worry about grip too much.

Basically, small wheels = better, and I think it looks better too, less flash, more purpose, but without looking like an asbo gathering discovery on 37's with a straight pipe, and neon "one life, live it" stickers.

Post #570333 19th Oct 2020 5:07pm
mcspreader

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Bit late to the game here but i have been looking at 19 inch tyres and this post popped up.
Are these the Q speed rated Duratracs? Is that not a bit slow if they are? Not that I streak around at the 186mph of my Y rated tyres. Shocked 2011c Vogue SE 4.4 Oil Burner
1991 Hilux 2.4d MkIII. Sadly goone due to space and time.
2008 Skoda Octavia Scout
2000 TVR Tuscan 4.0
Loads of crap. Gone

Post #575786 12th Dec 2020 1:53am
coopss

Interesting read! I’m about to go from 255/55/19 to 255/55/20 with the same tyre, I’ll report back on the difference

I remember the Harry’s garage video - helped make up my mind on the Verdes. Then on a future video he’d gone back to Zeros 1995 4.6 v8, green/tan (long gone)
2005 4.8iS X5, blue/black
2011 4.4 tdv8, black/black (gone)
2003 3.0d X5, Oxford green/black/manual
2021 p575 SVR, BR green/vintage tan

Post #575787 12th Dec 2020 6:08am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

If you reference framework is the LS400 then I'm not surprised Wink Not a vehicle know for it dynamics. But hey if that is what you prefer, soft and wallowing, then that is absolutely fine.

You haven't got your car listed, but on the opposite end of the scale I was concerned when I got mine and it had 22" wheel/tyres. From a comfort perspective I need not be, not thumping or crashing on put holes at all. And now I've got Pirelli on them they are even better.

Mine is a my2010+ with good working active air suspension

Post #575790 12th Dec 2020 7:24am
WickNordin

United Kingdom 

quote="mcspreader"]Bit late to the game here but i have been looking at 19 inch tyres and this post popped up.
Are these the Q speed rated Duratracs? Is that not a bit slow if they are? Not that I streak around at the 186mph of my Y rated tyres. Shocked[/quote]

I'll have to check when I get home bout I bought them from camskill in the OEM land rover section so I believe they're the same ones recommend by land rover for off road use.

Post #575792 12th Dec 2020 7:52am
WickNordin

United Kingdom 

It's the only cad I ever truly regretted selling. I loved how it would almost get up on a plane like a speedboat when you tried to make it hurry.

Mine is a late 2009 facelift and it seems to be in good condition.

Post #575793 12th Dec 2020 7:59am
ur20v

A Trap 

It’s illegal to use tyres which are not the same or of a higher speed and load rating then specified by the manufacturer on the road... if you are off road (not green laneing) then who cares I guess.

Size and width changes are also very questionable, the law says any change of specification to a motor vehicle needs to be assessed and approved by an engineer at a VOSA test Centre (not a basic MOT) and your insurance company informed. I know the police tread lightly here but you could get your vehicle impounded, a fine and insurance invalid, so consequences could be VERY costly.

Post #575800 12th Dec 2020 9:06am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

i do not get everyone's obsession with the Pirelli's to be honest. personally i think they are very over priced. the car is noisy to boot so i have changed mine. i went for Nexen Nfera's and paid just about £110 each fitted + tracking.

car is considerably quieter on the road at motorway speeds, i do a lot of country road driving car is still incredibly stable even on wet muddy lanes. When towing my large twin axle caravan they perform equally as well as the Pirelli's and there seems to be no change in the MPG.

i have a lot of experience with this brand even having a set replaced FOC as cracks appeared after 6 months of use so good customer service too.

any how each to there own but for me the Pirelli tires are not worth the extra premium. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #575831 12th Dec 2020 1:39pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

@Jayk69 I think part of the 'obsession' is that they are a very good all season tyre. And they really are. And there isn't that much choice of those in 21, let alone 22" versions. But even so a very good all season.

The Nexen is a summer tyre, so comparing something different. If I was looking for just summer tyres there is plenty of other choice. Can't say the Nexen would then still feature for me to be honest...Not least at they simply don't do them in my size which is saying enough...

Post #575834 12th Dec 2020 2:04pm
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

I do not doubt they are a great tyre and i also agree even for the 20 inch rims i have if you want an all season there really is not much choice. and if i lived in a country that had more adverse weather ie snow fall i would certainly re consider.

however here in sunny Daventry we suffer wet roads and if we are really unlucky a couple of mornings per year when we have some of the white stuff to deal with.

the Nexan's have served me well over the years i have used them and on the fatty they have not disappointed me. safe, reliable perform well on wet roads and good value to boot. Thumbs Up 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #575837 12th Dec 2020 2:55pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Check out the Tyre Review channel and others on YouTube... you definitely get what you pay for in tyres, as cost goes up the tyres performance is better and usually over a wider range of conditions, cheap brands tend to have very sub par performance. The back to back tests by Tyre Review makes for some stark contrasts between Michelin that regularly wins tests to Khumo or Nexan or Chinese cheap ‘brands’ which are to be honest dangerous.

Also check out the different between summer, all weather. Winter, mud and snow tyres.

No one tyre is a good fit across UK winter weather, below about 11’ C summer tyres have dreadful levels of grip wet or dry and massively extended braking distances.

speciality tyres only work well in their own areas... mud tyres don’t work in snow much to most off road/truck driver astonishment as they think the chunky tread would work well.

Basically watch and you will see saving money on tyres is a false eccomomy... ok the cheap tyre may be ok in ‘normal driving’ but throw in emergency avoidance like swerving, braking or even acceleration in wetter, colder or hotter, weather than the tyre/type is rated for.

Post #575838 12th Dec 2020 3:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1