Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Talk to me about Abarth 595
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey
Talk to me about Abarth 595

So I'm thinking of swapping our Smart for 2 for an Abarth. Couple of reasons. Tried to pull on the M20 at Leeds Castle the other day. Some foreign Jonny in a bleedin' great truck would not pull to the middle lane to let me on the Mway and the 71bhp was not enough to get in front of him. So need more performance.

The Smart has no power steering. It never has but as we get older, more creature comforts are required.

I test drove a 19 plate, 160 bhp version and thought it was excellent. MAT gearbox very similar to the Smart but better in full auto. I think you still need to match revs with hear changes but not as critical as the Smart. Power steering fine. Performance was plentiful. The weather was atrocious and I didn't want the car swapping ends so I kept at reasonable speed but it's certainly a peppy little engine. I understand 160 is the sweet spot.

The ride seemed very compliant and not at all crashy and hard. This was a surprise.

One minor issue was that SWMBO felt she was sitting too low. Everthing I've researched suggests the driving position, if anything is too high. She is only 5ft 2" so that maybe the issue. Are there any aftermarket kits that can raise the seat a bit. There appeared to be no adjustment. There was a lever , next to the handbrake, that didn't appear to have much function. Perhaps that's the way.

Everyones thoughts are welcome. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #571235 29th Oct 2020 11:35am
Paul J.

England 

I’d suggest that you also test drive a BMW i3S. It will surprise you. Thumbs Up Gone D3
Gone FFRR L322
Gone FFRR L405
Now on the JLR electric highway ....

Post #571302 29th Oct 2020 11:46pm
Classic Matt

United Kingdom 

The Abarth and the other cars on that platform are brilliant in my opinion. The only engine in the 500/Panda ranges I would personally steer clear of it the Twin Air which of course the Abarth isn't.

Fun, robust, plenty of kit, good looking, and a huge laugh to drive. What isn't to like?!

The only Abarth I have driven that I wasn't keen on was the lowest powered model as the grip from its relatively wide wheels far too easily kept the power in check so it wasn't as much fun as I hoped. I remember I had driven a Panda 100hp at about the same time and that was far more fun to drive than the lower powered Abarth as despite fewer horses it was a much more nimble little car with a narrower tyre.

Post #571305 30th Oct 2020 6:07am
uzp315

I know a couple of guys who have owned long lists of excellent, and iconic cars and both had an Abarth as a run around and absolutely loved it. One of the guys gets a new Ferrari most years from main dealer, and the Abarth is fantastic in his opinion and that is some praise from someone who used to be a motor journalist, racing driver and has owned a lot of very very nice cars indeed.

The other car that is winning a lot of love is the sporty Yaris. Not that I would have one because I think it lacks character, but I would rather have that than the character of a BMW 1 series, any day of the week. Many of us have our "pet hates" and sorry Paul, but in my view the 1 series is amongst the most contemptible of cars out there. I'd rather not explain why, just think of me as being unreasonable and wildly opinionated, and think of me as being wrong if that helps Smile

Post #586584 7th Mar 2021 1:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1