Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Dashcam DAB interference - whats the fix?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mikef

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver
Dashcam DAB interference - whats the fix?

I had a Road Angel dashcam fitted into my L405 P400e a few weeks ago and immediately noticed a deterioration of the DAB signal. The rear cam is fitted in the middle of the rear window near the top. I asked the installers to fix it and apparently they installed a couple of ferrite shields around the wire to the rear cam. Weirdly the DAB signal has improved in the immediate vicinity of my house but deteriorated in other areas so I'm far from happy with it

Obviously I'm going to call the installers back again to fix it but I'm not at all sure they know what to do based on my previous conversations with them

So does anyone know if there is a fix for this? Is there a better position for the dashcam? I must admit I dont like it being in the middle of the rear window near the top because its in the middle of my rear mirror view

Post #572267 9th Nov 2020 2:34pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I had similar issues when I put a BlackVue camera on the windscreen. I’d already installed a DAB antenna on the windscreen as well and when the dash cam was plugged in, the DAB signal totally disappeared, so I got another window mounted DAB antenna and out it onto one of the rear, tinted side windows and all was well, so I can only suggest a similar this is happening with you. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #572276 9th Nov 2020 4:33pm
charlie croker mk2

England 

DAB reception is a fully digital signal similar to TV signals and as such is prone to breakup if subjected to interference from other electrical sources . Could be the power supply which is 12 volts but this could be radiating spikes , but the cable run from the cameras back to the receiver could be "leaking" to the DAB signal .

You may never totally cure it but its worth adding extra screening to all the new cables and maybe re rout them as well .

I once worked on a BMW suv that the DAB went off when you put it into reverse . changing the reverse bulbs from led to filament totally cured it !

Post #572279 9th Nov 2020 5:15pm
mikef

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

Thanks for replies guys

Post #572303 9th Nov 2020 9:29pm
basil

2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Mariana Black

This is a known issue with (dash cam usually) accessories and RR DAB, your installer (if an auto electrician) should have known to route the dash cam cable away from the DAB cable.

Find a good auto electrician who confirms this to you on the phone when you describe the symptoms, and then let them remedy - You should have perfect DAB reception again (or as good as it was!).

The only thing I cannot comment about is Road Angel DC units - there may be a different issue with their units.

...Jon.

Post #572318 9th Nov 2020 10:37pm
millerj90

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Does anybody know the route of the DAB cable? I assume the antennae are on the rear load space glass, so this is the area most susceptible to dashcam interference.

I guess what I’m asking is, is it possible to shield the dashcam cable to prevent interaction, and if it is, where would you shield

Post #572380 10th Nov 2020 6:23pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Bear with me on this - as well as my other interests I'm also a railway modeller (there, another secret out). My setup is controlled digitally and some of the power supply cables have the positive & negative cables wound in a "lazy twist" of around 4 > 6 turns per foot to prevent interreference.

Would it be worth running the power supplies to dashcams ( & any other other switch mode PSU's) like this - may be worth a try ? 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #572383 10th Nov 2020 6:47pm
BuddySpire

United Kingdom 

I installed my front camera by taking a live feed from the overhead unit. Cut all the unused part of the feed wires to the permanent unit and the feed to the camera. The rear camera wire was feed under the headlining from the overhead unit and out towards the sunroof then pushed under the trim to the back. It comes out the headlining near the top of the rear window where the camera is sited.

I have no issues with the DAB, well it’s no worse than it was before BBC etc no problems some of the other channels like Virgin not so good. One day I will remove the top boot trim to get the wire a bit more neat using the holes to the boot lid as you can see a 6” loop from the headlining to the camera.

Post #572385 10th Nov 2020 7:05pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

to the OP, make sure the feed for the dashcam isnt piggybacked on the feed for the DAB/radio amplifier...if it is this could be your interference cause... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #572386 10th Nov 2020 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1