Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Water ingress with pics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver
Water ingress with pics

So after being a fool and not realising the PO had removed the drain bungs and flooding my boot temporarily and wrecking my amp I removed it this evening and looking at it it had some corrosion at the top like water was dripping in their too even with the bag mod.

I pulled off the pillar trims with the speaker in on the side of the bootlid and the foam is soaking wet on the side where the rear fuse box is.

Also if it’s rained heavy when I open the boot I get a gush of water as I open the boot on this side.

The other side the foam was slightly damp but not drenched like the other one.

I then dropped the headlining a bit and more or less level with the rear seat belt dispenser but above it under the lining were big drops both sides on the ceiling.

Also the nav aerial seems a little damp and rusty but this was reseated recently it could be this but there was not anywhere near as much water here.

Finally all my sun roof drains are clear.

So my water ingress friends - where do I start here Smile

Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #569053 6th Oct 2020 7:56pm
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Water ingress Big Cry Censored Mad
If the top of the pillar trims are wet, then it's got to be high up. Probably best to seal up around the shark fin & both tail gate hinges as a first step.

Rolling Eyes You think you have problems. I went to hoover out the boot last week & found water in the spare wheel well.
Right I thought I'm going to find the leak once & for all. I then proceeded to remove the rear seats & interior trim.

Now I have already replaced the tail gate seal, sealed up both tail gate hinges (unbolted the hinges). Removed the rear bumper & sealed everything that moved & didn't move. Hosed & Hosed the back end, but no leaks, I have left it all out driven around with paper towels stuffed everywhere for the last four days & guess what BONE DRY,

So where the hell is the water getting in?????

Good luck

Post #569062 6th Oct 2020 10:03pm
Danwilderspin

Cheers have you checked all 4 of
Your sunroof drains? Top seals of the rear windows behind rear doors? Do the boot seals go? Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #569076 6th Oct 2020 11:37pm
maric995

Croatia 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Hi, I recenty had wet boot floor, and water under compressor, with also wet rear speakers. I unbolted top trunk door hinges, but just enought to put a silicon gun, and sealed all around it. As a precaution, also checked front sunroof drain pipes, and one was clogged. I am sure that sunroof drains cannot cause water in trunk, but I will check them from now on, at least once a year. RR HSE 4.4 2006 LPG

Post #569079 7th Oct 2020 7:05am
Highroller

Yes, all sunroof drains are clear & door seals good. The tail gate seals are always the main issue, so replaced as a matter off course. keep the trims out until I find another trace of water.

Post #569082 7th Oct 2020 8:29am
RichM63

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I also had pretty much the same problem.

Where to start: Front Fog Lights and work back!

All door seals, sunroof drains, roof rack mounts, tailgate hinges, tailgate seal and included lots of protective plastic sheeting inside the amp compartments.

I used Evostik Lead and Gutter sealant to reapply the seals/hinges, works a treat and handily is in Stornoway Grey or there abouts. Smile

Fingers crossed but it appears to have remained dry even during last weeks monsoon rain.

Good luck.
Rich L322 3.6 TDV8 Vogue. 07MY
ML 320 7 Seat full leather etc. (The Black Pearl) Wink

Post #569087 7th Oct 2020 8:47am
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Highroller wrote:
Water ingress Big Cry Censored Mad
If the top of the pillar trims are wet, then it's got to be high up. Probably best to seal up around the shark fin & both tail gate hinges as a first step.

Rolling Eyes You think you have problems. I went to hoover out the boot last week & found water in the spare wheel well.
Right I thought I'm going to find the leak once & for all. I then proceeded to remove the rear seats & interior trim.

Now I have already replaced the tail gate seal, sealed up both tail gate hinges (unbolted the hinges). Removed the rear bumper & sealed everything that moved & didn't move. Hosed & Hosed the back end, but no leaks, I have left it all out driven around with paper towels stuffed everywhere for the last four days & guess what BONE DRY,

So where the hell is the water getting in?????

Good luck

Do you have a tow bar fitted?

I had water in the spare wheel well a few years back and the main cause was the rubber seal where the tow bar bolts into the body behind the bumper. water was just enough to soak in and track through and over time fill the well up.
After slackening off the bolts and sealing behind rubber seal and the plate, tighten up and all was good with no water ingress. If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #569091 7th Oct 2020 9:15am
Highroller

Hi Weishdragon, Yep, done that. When I had the bumper off, I released the tow bar & used nearly a tube of silicone sealer, sealing everything up.

I think that you may be on the right track with the water level though. I was thinking that due to the vast amount of rain we've had is just tipping over, where normally it would not reach that level.

The annoying thing is that over the past few days we have had a decent amount of rain & the paper towels are dry?????.

Post #569097 7th Oct 2020 9:40am
jaysta10k

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I had same issues water ingress fried my amp and bluetooth. It was getting in through shark fin on roof and also the tailgate hinges. I applied thin bead of silicon around shark fin and caked load around the both tailgate hinges seems to have cured this common issue. Also im sure that both my rear arches have corroded over the years because of this water ingress as it rots from inside out and I have my car in bodyshop at the minute they have cut out all the rot it was shocking the amount of corrosion and they seem to think the same due to this water ingress going un noticed over a period of time. Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 SVO Stying Pack
Audi A4 2.7 TDI S Line Black Edition phantomn black
Previous Cars
Range Rover Vogue SE Overfinch Styling 22" Elara's full black stealth colour coded
Java black Range Rover sport 2.7 TDV6
Alaska white Range Rover sport overfinch 3.6 TDV8
BMW M3 Carbon Black

Post #569218 8th Oct 2020 2:45pm
Danwilderspin

Ok thanks guys - I dried my amp out and used an anti static brush and some contact cleaner (a can) got rid of all corrosion put it back in and it’s working. Now have a tube of pu glue on the way and a new eBay special shark fin that does dab as my genuine one is knackered anyway, i will do hinges at the same time and if any left I will do the top of the boot side windows Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #569269 8th Oct 2020 11:41pm
Danwilderspin

Possible cause - on the opposite side but my drive slopes to the side of the leak

Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #572136 8th Nov 2020 12:49am
Danwilderspin

What’s interesting is the newer ones are cable tied should have done that before putting it all back Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #572429 11th Nov 2020 12:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1