Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Bloody door speakers!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver
Bloody door speakers!

So when I got the 4.2 2 years back it had a blown front left and right bass speaker.

Trawling through here it was recommend an infinity kappa component set as the drivers were 2ohm...

Well one of those has blown now not sure if they are all poor as they are the same company?

Can anyone recommend a better speaker now? Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #573379 18th Nov 2020 9:16pm
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

According to this: http://offroadrover.com/l322-range-rover-replacement-speakers/

Then these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BS5Y...artec02-20

Which are probably what you've already tried?

I've an intermittent problem with the right hand side bass speaker which I'm unsure whether it's the speaker or the wiring and haven't took the door apart to find out yet, so I'll keep an eye on this thread with interest Smile

Post #573597 20th Nov 2020 5:55pm
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Yes I actually got the kappas which are the next level up and still the same problem... Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #573611 20th Nov 2020 10:27pm
Siftah

I guess perhaps try and find something rated for a higher RMS with the same size/depth?

Presumably it's that the amp is rate too high for the speakers and causing them to blow?

Post #573680 21st Nov 2020 6:20pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I replaced the off side door speaker with a genuine part, from the bay for less than £50.

When I got the old one out that looked like it had been swapped out, it being the newer replacement unit rather than the original.

Post #575884 12th Dec 2020 8:57pm
Siftah

Have been looking at this again tonight to try and find some cheaper/aftermarket speakers to fit, but there's really not much choice. Not many aftermarket options that are 2ohm unfortunately.

JBL make some which are 2.8 or 3ohm which are cheap, but that's about all that I can find available in Europe.

There's some very nice Focal ES 165K2 which are the correct size and spec: https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-aud.../es-165-k2

But they're around ~500 Euros for the kit which includes the two mid-bass speakers, two tweeters and 2 passive crossovers.

The crossovers would be useless as far as I can tell, as the L322 setup (for the 2010 Logic7 system, at least) drives the mid-bass direct on a channel with the EQ done in the amp. The tweeters would be driven by the channel which drives the mid's.

I'm not sure whether this is worthwhile as an upgrade in audio quality over the OEM speaker - considering there's no published spec (as far as I can see) for the frequency range of each speaker.

I'm undecided as to whether to give these a go or just replace with the OEM speaker at the moment. :\

Post #575893 12th Dec 2020 9:41pm
Siftah

As we're planning on doing the Barcelona -> Manchester run in a week or so for xmas, I figured I'd spend some of Sunday trying to fix the annoying rattle from the right hand mid-bass speaker as I'm sure we're going to want to enjoy some music on the way!

Turns out the mid-bass speaker is a fairly standard driver that's soldered into a custom surround. You can separate the surround from driver and hence, theoretically, fit an aftermarket speaker into the original housing.

I also had a look at the tweeters (though I didn't take any pics) and there's a reasonable amount of space and foam padding there, so I believe you wouldn't have too much issue fitting aftermarket tweeters from a 2-way speaker kit into the door.

I thought possibly this would be fixable after re-soldering the connections (they're a bit dry and corroded), but no dice. Still sounds awful - huge amount of corrosion on the inside of the speaker and a lot of flaking paint.

I think I'll be going the aftermarket route and "upgrading", hopefully to the Focal's.

Here's some pics in case this is useful to anyone...

Post #575990 13th Dec 2020 5:04pm
Siftah

I ended up going with aftermarket speakers, mostly for logistical reasons.

I documented it here: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic57819.html

Post #576462 17th Dec 2020 6:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1