Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 2007 key won’t turn
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Sam

England 

Hello again Stuart,
The simplest way to establish whether it’s a full column or just the top section is to look at the photos. If it has a UJ (universal joint) halfway down its the full column, which you don’t want. Just the top section which includes the lock mechanism is all you need. It’s about a foot long and DOESN’T have the UJ.
So far as testing is concerned, all you’d need to do is plug in the main steering lock block connector, reconnect the battery and then try and turn the key. You can literally do this with the replacement column in your hand, you don’t need to fit it. Keep in mind though that once you turn the ignition on you’ll log an airbag fault because the airbag won’t be connected.
Regarding left or right hand drive, I don’t know but I’d be surprised if they went to the trouble of mirroring the design for different markets. Easy enough to identify; if you look down on the top column section from above, the locking mechanism is on the right on RHd cars at least, so if it’s on the right on yours my guess would be they’re common to both markets. You’ll also see a sticker on the column with a bar code and a number, just ask for one with the same number as yours which is what I did. As soon as it arrived I plugged it in as above, reconnected the battery and turned the key....... I can’t tell you the relief when I heard the pin withdraw and felt the key turn!

Post #577038 22nd Dec 2020 11:43pm
Nespouls

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Adriatic Blue

Thanks Sam, will get onto that after Christmas. New battery goes in tomorrow to be certain that is good.
Many thanks for your patient and detailed advice.
I’ll let you know how I get on.
Merry Christmas,
Stuart Stuart
L322 2007 TDV8 Vogue

Post #577091 23rd Dec 2020 11:06pm
Sam

England 

Hello Stuart, did you ever get this sorted?

Post #582835 8th Feb 2021 4:48pm
Nespouls

Hello Sam, thanks for your interest and follow-up.
The short answer is no, but . . .
I located a suitable steering column at a breakers in UK (£95), but they would not ship to France, so it had to go to my son in Bristol who then forwarded it to me. Thanks to Brexit I ended up paying import tax, customs handling charge and VAT which added €64 to the cost. So, I now have a replacement column but it has either been freezing cold or pouring with rain so have yet to fit it. What I did was to fit a remote “fuse 18” switch so was able to drive her in the frost/snow, which was fantastic.
Was looking forward to fitting the column when I started to get lighting failure, with the rear left indicator not working. Naively thought I’d change the bulb, but life is never that easy in Fullfatrr world. My OBD tester brought up a myriad of faults in the Lighting Control Module, none of which could be erased. Happily I discovered a repair shop in Harrogate which can repair the module, thus avoiding the VIN/mileometer issues when fitting secondhand.
So, as of today the LCM is on it’s way to Harrogate and my “Bunty” has a disconnected battery and a gap in the (massive!) loom and both she and I are very sad.
After six years with Bunty I have a steely resilience to the multitudinous random faults, but having two at once has rather irritated me. But, the sheer joy of driving her when she is on full song more than compensates.
Once I have the LCM back (no doubt with huge import charges) I will get that fitted and then the steering column. I then intend to strip down the faulty column and identify & rectify the fault, so as to have a spare column for the next time it fails.
All the best, Sam. Will keep you informed.
Stuart Stuart
L322 2007 TDV8 Vogue

Post #582860 8th Feb 2021 7:27pm
Nespouls

Hi Sam,
A final catch up to share the success in fully curing the “key won’t turn” by installing a second hand steering column header unit, following your instructions. Thank you!
As you said, replacing the header unit is not difficult. Mine was made more tricky by the replacement having suffered damage, some obvious and some not so obvious, in transit. However, all now sorted and I’m getting very positive whirring and clicking as the steering lock operates and the solenoid sender activates . . . lovely sounds!
I am now convinced that the steering lock never actually worked and it was stuck in the unlocked position. Having got the car operational again I stripped out the u/s column and found that the solenoid was not sticking (so the infamous “drill a hole and spray WD40” would not have helped) but that the steering lock motor was bunged up with rock hard grease. Having cleaned and lubricated the whole steering lock mechanism I now find that the old header unit is now working fine and whirring and clicking like a good’un. So I have a spare in stock for next time. . . . .
So, my Vogue fully fit and back on the road . . . . for now . . . .
Cheers to all,
Stuart Stuart
L322 2007 TDV8 Vogue

Post #588733 24th Mar 2021 5:10pm
Sam

England 

Morning Stuart, glad to have been of help and happy you've got it sorted.

Post #588833 25th Mar 2021 9:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12