Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Tell me about solar (for the house)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

John w wrote:
We had our panels fitted just before the initial FIT rate was halved.
We have the same experience as Stan, its paid for itself in 7-8 years.

Blackdog, the feed in tariff doesn't decrease as your expecting. Sure the rate has been decreased over time for new installations, but that was supposedly to offset the expected drop in equipment and installation costs. Panels are less than half what they used to be to buy.
When you have the system installed and registered you have an 'eligibility date' which sets your tariff band. You remain in that band for the duration, and its actually index linked so goes up not down.

I'm sure I used the incorrect terminology; and yes the feed-in-tarrif scheme has ceased to exist since 2019 for new entrants. You can't get a bigger decrease than that Laughing

But I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that for those who were on it they haven't changed it retrospectively. That is rather unusual for the successive governments in the UK. So well played for those who got early onto the scheme.

The scheme is replace by the Smart Export Generators which is targeting small excess energy producers, but the fees for the electricity have no minimum and depend on which tariff you are on with an energy provider. LOL One more thing to compare when getting your energy provider.

John w wrote:

Our 3.5kw system (14 panels) pays out around 1600 a year just in tarifs, without the saving on bills.
Once the system is installed most owners modify their behaviour. Rather than put the washing machine or dish washer on at night, you put it on during the day, so the energy being generated is used rather than that imported.
You get paid for every unit generated regardless, and generally get paid for 50% of that as exported too at a flat rate agreement, regardless of whether exported. There are other options but that was what was advised to us.

I can't say we ever considered when we put on the washing machine, tumble dryer or dish washer. They go on where a) there is a load, and with teenagers in the house there are several in a day, or b) when its full like in the case of the dishwasher; which against with teenagers in the house is several times per day if they remember to bring down their plates and cups Whistle Laughing

Then there is working, schooling from home. The internet in full swing, network printers, mesh computer network, network attached storage drives, 4 computers on the go, other devices charging, big screens on, lighting on (during these dull grey winter months) at a daylight colour temperature, security systems running and operating, multi-room speaker systems going all day. And then there is the dolby atmos home cinema system, and cars on chargers. Oh and I forgot the bean to cup coffee machine, kettle, and ovens well utilised as well.

I doubt I'm the exception to most owners, in the modern world of homeworking the draw and need is significant.

But we agree on that a unique property assessment is required. It is impossible to say remotely and across the board that it works for everyone. Everyone's property and situation is different.

With regards to valuation we agree. With regards to appeal all things equal it would entirely depend on the buyer. For me and my wife, unless the property has Tesla Roof Tiles and a powerwall installed I would down value the property. I've never seen a solar panel installation that looks nice and in upkeep with the property. There may be other solar roof tiles available besides Tesla, if the Tesla ones are finally available in the UK Mr. Green

Post #582784 8th Feb 2021 10:56am
RSW

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I doubt I'm the exception to most owners, in the modern world of homeworking the draw and need is significant.

This is where in the UK you can make best use of it as you get paid for generation 100% then you also get paid 50% for export to the grid even if you use all of it yourself Rolling with laughter

So a house with people in all day usung the electric have a better deal than a house that is empty with people at work all day.

We did the same as John W to alter the way we used the main appliances through the day, just spread it out and try not to use them all at the same time where we used to put them on just before going to bed.

Post #582793 8th Feb 2021 11:31am
IGP

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Siberian Silver

When we lived in Queensland, we had solar panels fitted. The cost was about $4000 for a 4kw system. At the time the Government was giving a feed in tariff of 50 cents per kilowatt. The cost of electricity was 20 cents per KW. With the money we got back and the fact that we did not receive an electricity bill meant they paid for themselves in 3 years. Initially we were getting around $400-500 per quarter return. The Government then woke up and reduced the feed in tariff to 8 cents per KW. But, they had already guaranteed us our feed in for 25 years!

Ivan 2013 Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Luxury

Post #582794 8th Feb 2021 11:40am
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Blackdog, the government did try to reduce the FIT tarrif on existing systems in the past (december 2011), but were taken to high court as the rate was stated for a fix term as an incentive to early adopters.

I had noticed the FIT scheme has been replaced now, and dont know what the new rates being quoted are, so it may well no longer be as favourable as it was.

I do agree the number of things drawing power in the home is increasing, and it only gets worse with more family members. As RSW has said though, this can only benefit you more if the house is occupied during the day. If its not, then maybe the power-banks are a good solution to time-shift the energy produced. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #582811 8th Feb 2021 2:15pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

This is not ready just yet officilly but Tesla is coming up in the UK with their excellent solar roof/energy storage set up, might be worth waiting a couple of month for it. It is a game changing set up.

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/solarroof?redirect=no l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #582814 8th Feb 2021 2:22pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Thoughts gents

Portuguese company has offered me a 12 panel 3.6kw single inverter system fully fitted for 3600e

Guy teckons I will be legible to receive the grant of up to 70%or 2500e

No brainer Id say, bet he baulks when I propose 1000e at start of work 1000e at completion balance once grant arrives Laughing

Post #582972 9th Feb 2021 4:12pm
IGP

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Siberian Silver

Only trouble with Government grants is that the suppliers/installers simply add the amount of grant on to the price. Queensland Government offered grants to get cars converted to LPG. It was around $2500 trouble was all the conversion costs just rose by $2500! So the only people who benefited were the installers.

Ivan 2013 Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Luxury

Post #582980 9th Feb 2021 4:57pm
RSW

United Kingdom 

dingg1 wrote:
Thoughts gents

Portuguese company has offered me a 12 panel 3.6kw single inverter system fully fitted for 3600e

Guy teckons I will be legible to receive the grant of up to 70%or 2500e

No brainer Id say, bet he baulks when I propose 1000e at start of work 1000e at completion balance once grant arrives Laughing

I would take that offer, do you have the space to install more or are you grid limited?
Always go for the biggest array you can even if thy limit the inverter

Post #583060 10th Feb 2021 9:13am
dingg1

Can go larger, it does appear to be a good deal tbh

Going to try 2 more suppliers and try for a 5kw system and see what happens

Idea

Post #583068 10th Feb 2021 9:54am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

This whole subject really boils my Censored
if governments were committed then all new houses should be built with Solar / Heat source as a standard. commercial properties with acres of unused roof space should be renting the space to energy companies for the installation of them.

this will have multiple effects

1) the cost will decline due to the volumes being produced
2) innovation will then kick in as manufactures will try to distinguish themselves in the marked place
3) acres of previously unused space will all of a sudden hold a value as they are now producing energy
4) The little people Us will then have access to more innovative systems that are fit for out needs and tariff's will be a more straight forward affair.

the issues we have is that big energy companies are protecting there profits and governments are trying to protect the 1000's of jobs that go with them. If we all start producing out own energy the need for energy companies reduces!!

The initial people that got in early got a good deal governments needed to be seen to do something on the global stage so they benefited by that and good luck to them. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #583073 10th Feb 2021 10:28am
Rog21

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I have had a 4Kw system for 5 years now and it has probably paid for itself, I am east west facing so although the peak energy is less I get power early in the morning and late into evening in summer. This covers the background use of the house.
I also have a immersun unit which detects if I am exporting electricity and if so diverts it into my hot water tank. Free hot water from April till October. From memory the fit cost around £4.5K. Panels have 25 year warranty, inverter 12 years.
you do change your habits and as others have said use high energy stuff when panels generating such as dishwashers, washing machine and my wifes glass kiln!
One of the best investments i made

Rog L322 4,4 TDV8
Freelander 2 sold
Honda Transalp
Sunbeam S7 deluxe (in bits)
Sunbeam S8 (restoring)

Post #583999 16th Feb 2021 1:48pm
dingg1

How much did it reduce your monthly bills by rog?

The installer who priced up my 3.6kw system forgot to add iva (vat) so another 700e almost,

Waiting on another price to come in, our monthly consumption is, about 120e going to 300e in summer pool ashp and pump, looking hopefully to reduce bill by 200e a month summer and 60e winter...

Post #584008 16th Feb 2021 2:27pm
Rog21

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

The saving depends on how much you pay in the first place.
I generate around 4MWH per year, My gas bill is zero from April to Oct as my hot water is heated by gas (or solar in the summer). My electric bill has probably reduced from 600 per year to 300 per year. The net benefit to me per year for feed in tariffs (Which we get in UK) and reduced bills in around 900 per year.
Battery storage last time I looked wasn't economically viable as they have a limited life and are expensive.
Roger L322 4,4 TDV8
Freelander 2 sold
Honda Transalp
Sunbeam S7 deluxe (in bits)
Sunbeam S8 (restoring)

Post #584012 16th Feb 2021 2:45pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

thanks for everyone's replies and discussions which I've been following since kicking this one off...

Quote:
I have had a 4Kw system for 5 years now and it has probably paid for itself

Rog I presume like Stan you have a favourable feed in rate which doesn't exist now...?

Because the chart at the top really its me off going for solar. 5 year payback I'm fine with. 10 would be ok too.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #584013 16th Feb 2021 2:45pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i think the feedback tariff finished in 2019 Greg, not sure, but a google will confirm.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #584021 16th Feb 2021 2:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>