Home > My Range Rover > Ash's 4.2 Supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ash27

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Ash's 4.2 Supercharged

Hi all,

Been lurking for a while but thought I would put up an official post to chart my ownership.

Currently have had the Range Rover since the end of August and its going OK so far.
Its an 07 4.2 Supercharged, Black on Black on Black which was actually not a colour I really wanted but after the couple of dogs I had seen this one appeared too clean to pass up on.
The only other thing I would have preferred other than another colour is factory tints however it was not a deal breaker so ended up going ahead.

Picked it up from just outside Manchester so had a nice drive back down to Hertford and then a couple of weeks later it took the whole family down to Devon for a week. Was actually quite impressed with the 20mpg the computer was putting out over the longer journeys.

After losing my V70 when it got written off I had missed the ability to just chuck the whole family and supplies in a car and not have to worry about Tetris style packing!

So some pics:

Day I picked it up:

Click image to enlarge

Down in Devon with mates Defender:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Smallest bit of off-roading avoiding a tractor down a small lane:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Everything seems to work on it but have noted a couple of issues since the test drive.
1 - Forgot to check the folding mirrors Embarassed and the passenger side will not fold in. Will remove it at some point to check it out. Have tried folding it various ways and feels like something is slipping when it tries.

2 - Driver side heated seat works but occasionally the fan sounds like its going to take off. This however seems to be getting better the more I use it so will probably take the back off the seat and give it a good visual check over.

3 - Gearbox. Nothing I noted on the test drive but now I have driven it more it seems to be a tad clunky now and again, like when I am slowing down to traffic lights on the final change. I can also feel it sometimes on slow driving I pick up some clunks for want of a better way of putting it. Apparently this was serviced not long before it was sold but I am still trying to get clarification from the garage who did the work exactly what has been done, rather than just the stamp in the book.

Next step is booking it in with http://www.gandgautomotive.co.uk/ who are local to me and seem to come recommended to give it a good inspection and give their opinion on the gearbox and go from there.

Also just for some fun, some of my older cars, I seem to just be working my way up the size scale....

My 4th ever car after two other Saxos and an original Mini.
This ended up at various stages of modding, the most fun being completely stripped out apart from the dash and some Sparco seats
Click image to enlarge

Then wanted more power:
Click image to enlarge

Then wanted RWD:
Click image to enlarge

Then wanted RWD and more power Twisted Evil
Click image to enlarge

Then had kids.... Rolling with laughter
Click image to enlarge

Cheers,

Ash

Post #570408 20th Oct 2020 4:00pm
Robmack

United Kingdom 

Looks great!

Post #570409 20th Oct 2020 4:26pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Looks great, enjoy the FFRR life Thumbs Up 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #570418 20th Oct 2020 6:18pm
Joe90

England 

I went the other way

to

Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #570426 20th Oct 2020 7:08pm
stu1

I really wouldn't worry about the gearbox - ours occasionally does it and has done ever since we've had it.

Post #570674 22nd Oct 2020 5:16pm
Classic Matt

United Kingdom 

Nice looking car!

Post #570685 22nd Oct 2020 6:57pm
ash27

Cheers all Thumbs Up

@Joe90 how are you finding the swap to the V70? Did love mine a lot more than I thought I would. Seats were great and the twin turbo D5 was decent enough for what it was.

@stu1 - fingers crossed its nothing bad Smile

Post #570734 23rd Oct 2020 1:26pm
Joe90

England 

@ash27 - don't tempt me, I got a serious twinge when I saw you had moved from V70 to FFRR, just about weaned myself off it Wink

See here for some comments and comparisons I did:
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic51851.html .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #570740 23rd Oct 2020 2:49pm
ash27

That's a good writeup Joe.
I did like my v70 more than I thought I would but now I don't do the crazy millage I used too I think I would be tempted away from Volvo to a more driver focused fast estate if I ever got rid of the RR.

Saying that the v90s are very nice looking cars. I think I would miss the height of the RR going back from one now.

Post #571834 4th Nov 2020 11:39am
ash27

As per another thread I had confirming on the required suspension parts for the front struts I have now completed my first proper driveway fix for the car.

Big thanks to this site Thumbs Up it has been really helpful in confirming what I needed and good places to go. Ended up getting the Island 4x4 complete struts and with Joe90’s guide in hand with the RR workbook I set about replacing it.

Due to issues with potential rain and where I could fix an awning if it did tip down I decided to fix the side that was not broke first and this went fine. Even the dreaded knuckle bolts came out without an issue after only really soaking them with plus gas for the two days previous.
Great I thought, done in the next 1.5 hours or so and back inside.
Little did I know... Got to the last bolt, lower drivers side, nut off but would the Censored bolt move, would it hell. Laughing

No amount of lubricant and force with various breaker bars, impact hammers would budge it.
Spent the next couple of days spraying and trying to twist it every now and again until my mate found what basically amounts to a scaffolding bar in his garage.

About three more attempts with this in hand on the end of a breaker bar and it slowly started to move. Not in a snap and its free way, just kept fighting back. Anyway after getting annoyed with a hammer and causing myself more work having to cut the end of the bolt off to get it out it was finally free and I could finish the job.

Most hated bolt:

Click image to enlarge

Tools required to remove it:
Click image to enlarge

Key takeaways;
1 - I would not attempt this job without new Bolts/Nuts for the hub knuckle ones. The replacement nut I got was a 24mm over the original 22mm if I remember correctly. Was a trip to Halfords as I didn’t have the right size...
2 - Listen to people when they say twisting the bolt is the only option, save yourself some time and get a massive pole Very Happy
3 - Read the guides as the interesting process to get air reset, going lock to lock etc worked as expected.
4 - If you have any mechanical knowledge try this job. It’s not that hard and feels great when the car jumps back into life Thumbs Up

Lastly as a suggestion for Joes’s guide a footnote for cars with the uprated brakes. Heat is required to remove the top brake dampener off the old struts. Don’t bother trying to force it. I have a heat gun now and some welding gloves to finish this part of the job. 07 4.2 Supercharged
Previous:
2011 Volvo v70 D5 | 2009 Honda S2000 | 2010 Mazda MX5 2L | 2006 Vauxhall Astra VXR | 2002 Hyundai Coupe 2L | 2002 Saxo VTR | 1999 Saxo 1.4 | 1999 Saxo 1.1

Post #582900 8th Feb 2021 10:14pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Nice write up.

Always had a soft spot for Saxo’s years ago too. VTS’s were a right hoot.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #582905 8th Feb 2021 11:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1