Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > What’s making the whooshing sound?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Maybe unrelated, but my ex-L322 Td6 had a similar wooshing sound that never disappeared until I sold it... Replaced a lot of stuff, even removed the belt at some point and started without it... Mechanic concluded it was the torque converter, so we left it like that... It had the GM5 box, so probably it's not related at all... 2019 Vogue P400e

Last edited by adara on 17th Sep 2020 2:20pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #567289 17th Sep 2020 6:12am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I emailed our local dealer with the noise and a request to book it in last night. Let’s see what they come back with.

LT has has pretty much all the parts swapped now, so there is not much left to change which isn’t the short engine or gearbox. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #567290 17th Sep 2020 6:26am
northernmonkeyjones

Booked in for 28th For a look see. Dealer rang me first thing this morning to book it in.

Finally had a crawl round the car with the engine at roughly At 1100 rpm.

It’s very hard to pin down. I can hear an air noise ish from the NS front wheel arch, a tiny whine from the alternator possibly, but not really noticeable, noisy HP pump but not terrible, nothing much apart from a ticking by the drivers cill which is presume is a fuel pump.

Nothing really obvious from the middle gearbox area, nothing from the rear which is to be expected.

So after 15mins on hands and knees I’m none the wiser.

Except mines not there when the engine is cold! It only showed up once the engine had warmed through, went for a 30 min drive and it wasn’t there when I left, but was when I got back which I suppose doesn’t narrow it down much..... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #567324 17th Sep 2020 6:31pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Thre noise on mine also starts when the engine is warming. It doesn’t need long though.

Post #567342 17th Sep 2020 9:46pm
northernmonkeyjones

had another more in depth crawl around underneath and on top of then engine. the noise on mine is difficult to detect outside, it is definitely there but holding the revs at the point where it makes the nose is difficult and my lad can't quite manage it.

from what I could hear it sounded as though it was actually coming from toward the rear of the engine, possibly TC area, its possible its from the gearbox area but something on the input side as it will do it when stationary. this time I managed to lie by the side of it and try to pick it out while reaching into the footwell and pushing the pedal..... definitely more audible under the car than at the front end and I can feel the slight fizzing I got through the steering in the body and cill.

one of the problems with having loads of under trays on the car is that it is hard to get to the components without taking the trays off....... and they are pretty substantial ally ones... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #567543 20th Sep 2020 3:39pm
LT

Stationery in neutral or P and on a trailing throttle is when it’s loudest on mine.

I have mine back now. Whilst it’s not really a big issue, I know it didn’t make it when I first got it. I actually think the noise is now worse than before all the ancillaries were replaced.

Post #567544 20th Sep 2020 3:50pm
northernmonkeyjones

Yep same. Trailing throttle is loudest.

leaning towards TC noise. I will tell the techs to listen in that area with guards off. With a rod probe they should be able to get an idea of where it’s coming from..... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #567547 20th Sep 2020 4:52pm
keving

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Indus Silver

HI Any update .My one seems to have the same problem .Air sucking noise from the right side wing .Before this I had a complete shut down at the traffic lights and the dash was like a set of traffic lights .The engine was turning over but would not start and was locked in park .I removed the cup holders and took it out of gear and let it roll to the side of the road and wait for the tow truck. About an hour later it started I canceled the tow truck and I drove it to my garage it went into limp mode 2 miles from the garage .The hand brake and suspension fault lights came on and went off again and the air sucking noise from the wing was noticed. We removed the air intake from both side and only the right was taking air in .It was late so we put the pipes back on and parked it up. The following day the mechanic started and drove it and he has been driving it for the last week and no lights no air noise and full power. He checked all the air hoes and earth straps and no signs of a fault .Any thoughts.

Post #582103 2nd Feb 2021 9:10am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

This reminds me of the old Vauxhall engines the fan belt used to drive the water pump and if you over tightened it the bearing was designed to make a sound just like that.
is it possible the tensioners or incorrect fitment of the AUX belts?
it is clearly linked to engine speed as the noise rises and falls with RPM.
I have 4.4 TDV8 and it does not make any noises like that from what i could hear it seems to be mechanical like an over stressed bearing could even be the big pully on the crank they are harmonic to cancel out unwanted vibration noises and prevent harmonic damage to the engine. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #582106 2nd Feb 2021 10:27am
LT

Nothing to report as I’ve been too busy to get another opinion on it. It’s still making the same noise and I can’t say I’ve noticed it getting any better or worse.

Basically everything that bolts on to the engine block was replaced and checked. A travelling LR Master Technician (or whatever they are known as) inspected it twice.

I will be taking it to a friends garage as soon as possible, he’s been a mechanic all his working life and maybe he’ll suss it out. Clutching at straws, but we are also going to remove the protective ‘under trays’ as it’s possible one of them is resonating.

Will report back.

Post #582257 3rd Feb 2021 4:51pm
northernmonkeyjones

Mine is still the same as it as last year. Not got worse. Not got better. Though to be honest I’ve only done a few hundred miles in the last couple of months.... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #582296 3rd Feb 2021 9:13pm
Sester

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover HSE SDV8 Santorini Black

Mine does the same. The vent in the offside wing under the bonnet sucks like a hoover but the right doesn’t. I was told it was to do with the low Rev turbo and the nearside was the higher Rev turbo ? Sometimes it’s more noisy than others ? If you start engine and put your hand over the vent you feel it suck ?

Post #583171 10th Feb 2021 7:28pm
keving

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Indus Silver

That's exactly what my one was doing .If you put hand over the vent on the rh wing it was sucking air and nothing on the left. Before that I had a complete shut down the engine would turn but did not start . The sucking noise stopped the following day and I have covered 2000km and it hasn't re appeared. I got a low coolant light on a few different times the level is ok also suspension light and ebd .I'm putting it down the bad earth on the aluminum body. I had a lot of warning lights that appeared this time last year and as soon as you turn off the ignition and re start they would go away it took six months before any of them stayed on full time. It was an earth on the right hand wing with 5 cables attached. When I pulled the wires the bolt snapped. When I get a chance I will get it up on a lift and start checking earths.

Post #583279 11th Feb 2021 4:21pm
northernmonkeyjones

Sester wrote:
Mine does the same. The vent in the offside wing under the bonnet sucks like a hoover but the right doesn’t. I was told it was to do with the low Rev turbo and the nearside was the higher Rev turbo ? Sometimes it’s more noisy than others ? If you start engine and put your hand over the vent you feel it suck ?

Yep that’s as it should be.

I noticed something similar when I changed the air filters on my 322 4.4tdv8, one was filthy and the other almost like new.so one feeds the low rpm turbo and the other the one which kicks in at higher revs. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #583283 11th Feb 2021 5:37pm
albertocsoares

2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Siberian Silver
I guess I have the same problem, L405, 2013 TDV8 80.000 kms

Post #603825 15th Aug 2021 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>