Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > ZF6HP26 Metal or Plastic Sump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue
ZF6HP26 Metal or Plastic Sump

Hi everyone

I am planning on doing a gearbox fluid change in the next few weeks, I will be using ZF Lifeguard 6 and replacing the Mechatronic sleeve.

So a simple quick question, Should I use a metal or plastic sump?

David Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #563627 5th Aug 2020 1:40am
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

Your best to use a metal sump and seperate replaceable filter element for future servicing. There are a heap of oils manufacturer rated for ZF6HP available that work every bit as good as lifeguard 6 and cost 1/10th the price ... No idea what country your in?

You can do a proper flush by cutting off the stem that feeds up into the transmission (from old pan / filter you remove) adding some tube to it into a tub of fresh oil and run engine for a few seconds ... you need a good drain pan but is all easily done using cheap plastic tubs

Dave 2010 3.6TDV8 Autobiography
Bas remap, Egr deleted (blanked & via remap) , Cold air intake, Turbo back exhaust, Provent 200 catch can, Banks idash gauge, 275/55/R20

GAP Diagnostics

Past - 02 & 03 TD6 And an 1984 Classic

Post #563628 5th Aug 2020 4:10am
Mikey

Scotland 

Metal sumps are notorious for leaking

Stick with an OEM plastic version Thumbs Up

Post #563657 5th Aug 2020 8:57am
kezbo1981

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Stick with the plastic version, cheap enough to change out again if you ever service the gearbox again.

Post #563674 5th Aug 2020 12:39pm
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

Sorry but if you have fitted a metal sump as used stock by bmw and ford on the same transmission and it is leaking you have done something wrong!

You can (if you like) get a special rubberised type if your for whatever reason unable to prevent leaks with the paper type gasket.. they (the paper type) imo should be nipped up after a few heat cycles

Its common knowledge the metal pan is an upgrade and more durable & that a plastic pan really should not have been fitted to a off road vehicle ...Also better heat transfer ... then you replace the filter only next service and all other services then on for $15... Anyway at least people are servicing their transmissions Wink

Bas remap, Egr deleted (blanked & via remap) , Cold air intake, Turbo back exhaust, Provent 200 catch can, Banks idash gauge, 275/55/R20

GAP Diagnostics

Post #563697 5th Aug 2020 2:21pm
RichM63

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I fitted a metal pan and separate filter 12 months ago. No issues at all. (I did use genuine Lifeguard 6)

Metal seemed logical for an exposed gearbox sump on a 4x4. L322 3.6 TDV8 Vogue. 07MY
ML 320 7 Seat full leather etc. (The Black Pearl) Wink

Post #563716 5th Aug 2020 5:31pm
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Appreciate all comments so far, but I make it 2 all, I was hoping for a more decisive response....

Just to keep the discussion going I thought I would add what I am thinking behind the question.

My car has done 111,000 miles so it deserves the best treatment hence my decision to use ZF lifeguard. I intend to do some off road work along with some greenlaning but nothing extreme just a bit of fun. I am assuming that another fluid change will be after 50k miles by which time it is unlikely I will still have the car.

So has anybody broken a plastic sump?
As far as I know the steel sump is only a few mm thick so does it actually provide any better protection?

It might be worth mentioning that a mechatronic rebuild was done in 2017 at 98,500 miles but the original plastic sump was refitted with new fluid. So the filter was not changed hence my reason for a fluid and filter change.

Does that change what you guys think?

Thanks
David Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #563741 6th Aug 2020 12:54am
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

I think whoever changed your fluid and not the filter / sump was a clown Smile

Haha, Anyway no i have not heard anyone on here breaking a plastic sump however i do believe a few discovery owners have as they tend to do more adventurers offroading than the L322 does... the metal sumps are thin but standard equipment on many 4x4 fords it seems and if you tore thru a metal one i think the plastic one would be long gone beforehand. For me it was about re servicing as i will be doing a few more services yet (one in the next few weeks again) and only having to buy a cheap inexpensive replacement filter as well as the durability and other benefits of a steel sump imo

Best of luck, the ZF boxes are very good units and looked after should do hundreds of thousands of kilometers with ease 2010 3.6TDV8 Autobiography

GAP Diagnostics

Post #564041 9th Aug 2020 3:47pm
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

I changed to a Britpart supplied metal sump during a gearbox oil change. It has the advantage of cooling fins on the understand and, more importantly, the filter is separate.

Post #564316 12th Aug 2020 1:26pm
umitbat

A Trap 2010 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Atacama Sand

Is flush from cooler lines possible?
It looks so easy on some cars. 2010 3.6tdv8 180k km.
sold 06 td6 160k
Sold 03 td6 260k

Post #564347 12th Aug 2020 4:07pm
mickd

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I have switched to metal pan as well when I serviced the ZF6 on my TDV8. It came with different bolts as well due to different length used on the plastic pan. The thread holes needed cleaning out so that the new (shorter) bolts could be torqued up properly and evenly. They tended to thread in further than the original bolts used, so you can imagine some of the grit build up on the unused portion of thread which is exposed on the top of the box.

Dave what oil have you been using, if not Lifeguard 6? I note you are in Australia (likewise for me).

Post #564878 18th Aug 2020 8:27am
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

Sorry for late response Mick, If your still curious i use Gull Western Syn Ts, Many guys are runnig this in 400rwkw turbo fords with same transmission, you can click on the data sheet and read they fully aprove it for ZF6HP

http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/product/syn-ts/

GAP Diagnostics

Post #583539 13th Feb 2021 11:04am
mickd

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the update. That is good to know before I do the next full flush on the transmission.
Do you have any details on your provent install? I'd be interested to see it and what kind of improvement it made to misting up the intake with oil fumes.
Cheers,
Michael

Post #583638 14th Feb 2021 2:20am
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

You've probably already seen you can get 20L of that oil for about $180... plenty for a flush.Repco currently have it on special in 4 liter botles for $37 Cool , I cut the tube off the original plastic sump and with some hose and tubs make my own flushing device and let the transmission suck up and spit out about 4 liters to flush before re filling which helps clear the oil in the torque converter giving you a far better oil change.... sorry i might have mentioned this before, Anyway I've still got half the 20 liter drum left and about t do another change now that I've put about 80 thousand k's on it since

Re the provent i can say that after 10.000 Ks it has caught about 80ml of oil which says allot for the separator already built into the engine which was what i expected .... if it was some garbage jap ute that figure could bet 500ml of oil from what i read on various other sites. I haven't had the hoses off to check for oil in the manifold etc but i will do very soon .. either way i think its as good as its going to get with the can end egr blanked off ..... The thing that really stands out to me is thinking that the oil i can see the provent has caught would have gone thru my intercooler etc then engine... not cool

I feel it is very efficient (Chinese provent) ... ill remove the outlet hose and check it for oil to get a better idea and grab some pics 2010 3.6TDV8 Autobiography

GAP Diagnostics

Post #583642 14th Feb 2021 6:18am
mickd

Unfortunately I turfed the plastic pan when I fitted a steel pan. Sounds like a good way to flush the old lube out. I might be able to use part of the old filter that is in there now.
If you have some pics of how you installed the catch can, I'd love to see that too. Have been wondering how to hook one up. The factory unit is buried in the valley of the V8. Have Pam's my email addy is it's easier to share pics.

Cheers,
M

Post #583647 14th Feb 2021 8:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1