Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2007 RR with ipod? Plays voice memos over BT but not songs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
uzp315

2007 RR with ipod? Plays voice memos over BT but not songs

Hello everyone,
I do have an ipod with an FM transmitter in the car a 2007 RR .

My car works happily with the phone over bluetooth for Phone calls.
My car works happily with the phone over bluetooth for voice memos recorded on the phone. As soon as I play back a voice memo it comes over the car stereo.

My car will not work with playing music over bluetooth. I imagine this is Apple's fault.

Is this normal, or is there a way to make the iphone play music over bluetooth?

Thanks
Mark

Post #581884 31st Jan 2021 11:47am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Nope it is the cars fault. The cars bluetooth system doesn't include the necessary bluetooth profiles for music streaming. It is as simple as that. It can only do the hands free protocol. I suspect those voice memos activate that protocol as it is voice based...I never use voice memos...But it is also the reason why both the Land Rover and bovee units can be active at the same time.

Post #587147 12th Mar 2021 6:15am
uzp315

Thanks. I wonder if it is a cost consideration, i.e. that when creating a device there are additional fees for the product owner to pay if they want to use the music protocol. I can think of no other valid reason for not including it. I know around that time LR were not alone in having stereos that worked this way.

Oh well. I did think about transferring all my digital music to voice memos Wink HA! Egg on your face LR! I couldn't be bothered though and it is not that important to me. I was just curious.

Post #587164 12th Mar 2021 10:56am
muddycharles

United States 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
I used this

https://britishamericanconcepts.com

and installed under the aux inputs on the rear console. Works great (but you cant see it - just use the bluetooth) 2008 HSE B. Grey
Overfinched
NavTV retrofit

Post #587190 12th Mar 2021 3:32pm
uzp315

Thanks.
I wonder if they intentionally recorded a video that is 3.22 long Wink

"If you use some force and just pull"..... Sometimes I wonder if the LR design team are fans of Lego.

That device is quite neat, but alas it states it is for Disco and RRS. Looking at the images and videos, I do not know if it would fit as neatly (or at all) into a L322. There might be other, similar things around for the L322. Ive seen plenty of BT adapters that plug into the 12v. Maybe I will just stick with the FM transmitter.
Thanks though.
Mark

Post #587195 12th Mar 2021 4:11pm
muddycharles

United States 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
I hacked it into the aux location

Its pretty ugly - but in doing so I noticed that the area underneath the cigarette plug is open (its a vent) and you can simply install it in there out of sight (so the current one you have you would disconnect the wires and plug into this unit and leave on floor hidden away .

Or you can be brave like me and buy a new panel and try to use plastic glue and a dremel - suffice to say Im not range rover!!!

See attached picture

2008 HSE B. Grey
Overfinched
NavTV retrofit

Post #587199 12th Mar 2021 4:19pm
uzp315

Genius. That is my kind of fix Smile Thanks for the tips/and I will have a look. Unlikely to make a purchase at that price though. Not because I am tight, but probably more because I could probably build it myself for a tenner Wink It might not be as neat as your install though if I did.

Post #587203 12th Mar 2021 4:31pm
Bl4ckD0g

Cost perhaps from a certification perspective. I think it’s more a case of incompetence with so many in car multi media systems in not understanding the protocols and standards.

It’s not surprising that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are so popular nowadays.

Post #587213 12th Mar 2021 5:55pm
Bl4ckD0g

But also don’t forget that the L322 is actually a really old car and even older design.

Post #587214 12th Mar 2021 5:56pm
uzp315

I suppose it could also be related to the fact that car manufacturers don't really exist at the bleeding edge of communications technology. Back when this unit was designed those responsible may not have even considered BT as a technology people would want to use en-masse for audio streaming. History is littered with decisions about product strategies that failed to catch on.

As for Apple play, a friend recently bought a new EV and the car spent two weeks in bits as they tried to figure out why Apple play would not work. They replaced a huge amount of the cars electronics infrastructure and still couldn't figure it out. It is for reasons like that that Porsche UK told me my 997.1 did not have blue tooth. I.e. let the others work out all the foibles and teething issues first.

I remember buying a nice cd player with dual high end DACS and being able to plug in a pad, pod or phone and have the units DACs take over the job of the DAC in the phone, pad or pod and play back the tunes through the stereo. I didn't much care for it, which turned out to not be a bad thing, because by the time the next apple device came out something had changed in the output from the device, and it no longer worked with the CD player. As a result of this and many other first hand experiences I tend to no longer be an early adopter of technology and I rarely have respect for the product strategies of the high tech companies.

This constant churn of technology is a disaster for consumer and planet, and great for revenue of the people that make the tech because they can keep selling a replacement for the things they sold to us a year or two previously. Just like fashion industry tells you each year that you need a new pair of jeans and that the ones they sold you last year are now a source of ridicule.

W-anchors
https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinfuriating...me_to_buy/

There is always someone who thinks they can justify the unforgivable with platitudes and poorly thought out logic.

Post #587505 15th Mar 2021 8:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1