Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 5.0 S/C L322 Fuel pressure problems P0087-00 fault code
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
5.0 S/C L322 Fuel pressure problems P0087-00 fault code

After a few seconds of running at full throttle I get a "restricted performance" amber warning, this clears by pressing OK on the steering wheel and clears completely after a few seconds. I thought this maybe due to poor quality petrol so have run two tanks of Shell super+ through it but it is still doing the same... don't get me wrong it's no great issue as there aren't too many opportunities to run at full throttle... at part throttle everything is OK...

I decided to run some live value tests today and found that the fuel pressure is dropping off on full throttle, after a few full throttle runs the fatty did throw an engine fault P0087-00

As you can see the desired pressure in blue (straight line) stays constant but the Fuel rail pressure and the Fuel rail pressure sensor - High range sensor both show that the pressure is dropping fast.

The fuel rail pressure high range sensor has flatlined throughout

The low range sensor appears OK...

The S/C has two high pressure fuel pumps that are engine mounted and run from a chain drive off the crankshaft.

This is fed from an in tank fuel delivery module that contains a filter in the top half, I have ordered one having found out about it from Google... JLR don't list a fuel filter for the 5.0 L322 S/C I tried to order a fuel filter when I got fatty but none is listed....

Has anyone else come across this low pressure problem..??

Does anyone know the difference between

Fuel rail pressure high range sensor and Fuel rail pressure sensor - High range sensor...??

Has anyone had to change the high pressure pumps..??

Any other info gratefully received...

Thanks

(Fuel filter is LRO14995 £75.36 from Duckworths) Just leave this here for info... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Last edited by Haylands on 25th Mar 2021 8:16pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #559973 2nd Jul 2020 5:57pm
400-ascona

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Is it worth changing the filter as a start? Doesn't need to be OE to test if its the issue. 05 L322 4.2SC
2016 Discovery 4 Graphite
Lotus Carlton
Ascona 400
Volvo V70R AWD manual
Suzuki 1200 Bandit
Velocette Venom
BMW R80/7
Daimler V8 250
Mini Cooper S Works 2006

Post #559974 2nd Jul 2020 6:00pm
Haylands

I've ordered one, it's on the way, I don't fit pattern parts to mine.. Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #559975 2nd Jul 2020 6:02pm
lighthouse

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Not had any problems with my SC under full throttle. But if you would like happy to repeat your test on mine and measure same sensors and see if this is normal graph or not, as you maybe looking in the wrong place and it could be a bad injector.

Post #559999 2nd Jul 2020 8:32pm
Haylands

Thanks for the offer, it's definitely a low fuel pressure problem, as is usual with these things, easy to fix once you have found out what to fix...

I don't think an injector failure would cause a low fuel pressure fault or the symptoms I get but you never know...

I was planning to stick some injector cleaner in anyway just to see if it helped......

Cheers, be interesting to see what another S/C comes up with... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #560006 2nd Jul 2020 8:56pm
WB

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Worth running a can of BG44k through it - it's the only type LR recommend and useful for cleaning the injectors anyway.

Link to the vid on the Fuel system video I mentioned in my PM in case it's useful for anyone else:

Post #560030 2nd Jul 2020 11:44pm
Haylands

For anyone else with this fault....

Right... the fuelling issue is sorted..... Very Happy Thumbs Up Very Happy

All 510 odd horses have returned to the stable...

As a recap... floor it and on wide open throttle above about 4000rpm it would hesitate and then finally "BONG" restricted performance, turn it off and on and everything was fine until next time... been like it a while now and not really much of a problem under normal driving...

It threw a P0087-00 low fuel pressure fault but not every time, mostly it threw no fault codes even though it had gone into restricted performance...

The JLR work through for that code is

Fuel Leak
Crushed fuel pipe
Fuel filter
Fuel rail pressure sensor
Lift pump (in tank)

(No mention of the high pressure pumps)

All those were checked or replaced with no difference whatsoever....

I then had a look around the USA Jaguar forums and found four instances of the same fault/symptoms and three were sorted by replacing the high pressure mechanical fuel pumps. The forth also had multiple misfire faults and needed new injectors as well...

New pumps were sourced

JLR part number LR011308

These are Bosch pumps and fit a lot of vehicles, either singly or in pairs...

Bosch part number 0 261 520 045

Other part numbers...8W93-9D376-AE / 0 261 520 046 / HDP-5-PE / AJ812357 / C2Z22287

Then came the fun part... I had read various ways to get to these pumps which are bolted to the bottom of the block on the off side. Most went in from the top by removing the alternator but after lots of head scratching and consultation with my mate who owns the garage the best plan seemed to be to remove the O/S/F drive shaft to allow a sideways assault on the pesky pumps, going in from the top means working blind to a large degree..... to prevent the hassle of getting the driveshaft out and then back into the hub I just removed the whole hub, suspension arms and shaft in one lump, after the disc and calliper were removed...

The location of the rear pump is shown in red, the front in Yellow...

Click image to enlarge

You can then get past the subframe and remove the starter and associated wiring, which allows removal of the rear pump. You then have sideways access to the front pump and it was all looking good until you unbolt it and try to get it out, it hits the steering rack before it clears the block... so, unbolt the ARB from the other side, then unbolt the rack and there is just enough room to get the pump out without anything else needing doing...

Reassembly was a reversal as they say... Engine oil was dropped beforehand as it will leak out of the pump holes in the block... The pumps are mechanically driven by a separate camshaft driven from the crankshaft.

New oil and filter, top up the power steering fluid and front diff and turn the key....

Everything fine and no faults bonging, always a good sign... Thumbs Up

A short, but rapid, test drive confirmed that acceleration was smooth and with no dropping into restricted performance, it feels far more keen at partial throttle as well.

All in it took around nine hours from start to finish, could probably knock a couple off next time, it was not particularly hard to do, just time consuming...

I'm a happy bunny... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #588946 25th Mar 2021 8:17pm
Bean19844

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

Good effort mate.

Every Time I see a thread come up about the 5.0 I want it more n more instead of an old m62 4.4

Post #588948 25th Mar 2021 8:29pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

You would want one. It’s a brilliant engine, and very well matched to this car. It’s powerful, it’s fast, it sounds amazing under load. And it’s the cleanest environmentally friendly of them all which I still find hilarious and my mate Greta love it 😂

The only thing against it is the stock sound at idle. It doesn’t do it for me when you are outside and it’s idling. Not like any other V8 let alone V6 or V10 and definitely not V12 I’ve had. But with a slightly more aggressive exhaust that is easily overcome 😈

And some may hold the fuel consumption against it. Meh, yes it is thirstier but not by that much. There is only 8mpg between them.

Also, and I might be imagining things, but at first I wasn’t excited about the gearbox. It wasn’t bad but not great. However following a mega flush and reset it has adapted to my driving style and is now nowhere near as lazy and works well together with that 5.0SC. Sure it isn’t a dual clutch or dct but it can handle the power very well and is actually rapid to shift up and down.

Post #588964 25th Mar 2021 9:30pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

I don't want one, I'll stick with the 4.2 for the time being Cool

Post #588966 25th Mar 2021 9:54pm
Haylands

It is a wonderful thing to own and drive, stunningly sumptuous and a lovely place to be... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #588969 25th Mar 2021 10:10pm
WB

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Well done mate and thanks for the write up! Glad to see more infio going in to the 5.0 knowledge base. Out of interest do you know what it is that goes on the fuel pumps? Is it seals? Whats the mileage on yours?

Post #588976 25th Mar 2021 11:04pm
Haylands

You couldn't see any difference in new to old, I presume they have some sort of diaphragm inside, there are places selling refurbished ones...

I think just one of mine had gone bad as it was only at higher revs and need for fuel that the problems were apparent.

I have heard that if both fail it's a no start scenario...

Mine failed around 79,000 miles Pete

Post #588987 26th Mar 2021 12:41am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Bl4ckD0g wrote:
at first I wasn’t excited about the gearbox. It wasn’t bad but not great. However following a mega flush and reset it has adapted to my driving style and is now nowhere near as lazy and works well together with that 5.0SC. Sure it isn’t a dual clutch or dct but it can handle the power very well and is actually rapid to shift up and down.

The same basic gearbox is used in the Aston Martin DB9 and we recently Tuned the gearbox using a plug in OBD2 tuning dongle from JF Automotive... This speeds up changes, lowers the lock up speed, resets the adaptions etc etc etc

Turned a lackluster gearbox into a perfectly acceptable one IMHO and all for £399

Post #588989 26th Mar 2021 1:09am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Haylands wrote:
It is a wonderful thing to own and drive, stunningly sumptuous and a lovely place to be... Thumbs Up

Having now driven Wifey's 5.0 a few times, I'm very impressed by just how dialled down the engine feels in normal use... You really do have to provoke it to drive like a hooligan which wifey is very happy with... IE she drives like Terry Wogan whilst doing his lap on TG... Very sedate usually, she's scared of driving my fast cars!

Post #588990 26th Mar 2021 1:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>