Home > Technical (L405) > SVA - tappet like sound on start up - help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Japseroony

England 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver
SVA - tappet like sound on start up - help

Hi Folks

Well 12 months ago today I took delivery, from the factory, of a brand new SVA and due to Covid have only covered 6500 miles since then.

Something I noticed fairly quickly was a tappet like rattle upon start up that disappeared once the vehicle was warm - it sounded worse on the drivers side. About 2 months into my ownership the car was at a LR service ctr for the lower boot not closing and I asked then to have a look/listen - they said they thought it sounded normal for a 5 ltr engine so I left it there.

Last night I took the car to the same service ctr for a service which was due today and asked them to have a listen in the morning i.e. today, as the tapping was still there and the engine would be cold.

I have just called them and they say the tapping is a concern, they have conducted the service and could they hang onto the car until Monday to see if when cold the tapping still exists.

Anyone else got a tapping sound from the engine on start up that disappears once warm or has anyone got any ideas/suggestions please? "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #571318 30th Oct 2020 1:45pm
unsolicited

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Mariana Black

I've a 'standard' 5.0SC MY17 and I haven't noticed anything like that, no.

Sounds like tensioner issues, but I've never heard of anything like that from a late model with low mileage...

Post #571322 30th Oct 2020 3:03pm
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

If it’s at start up it could be a tappet out of adjustment.

Post #571341 30th Oct 2020 7:03pm
Japseroony

Yes my thoughts exactly, a tappet off somewhere but I presume they will be hydraulic so will that be a worse scenario?

Think it’s been there since new as I did take it to the service ctr at about 1500 miles but the car was warm and they said it all sounded normal at the time Sad "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #571345 30th Oct 2020 8:02pm
qwerty

2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Get it fully warmed up and then give it a period of sustained revs with some spirited driving.

You could try an oil flush but it really shouldn't need it, it may well be a sticking tappet and mileage and use may free it?

As it's under warranty i would try an oil change and some spirited driving once warm rather than have someone strip it all apart!

Post #571346 30th Oct 2020 8:42pm
karba78

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Baltic Blue

i have the same thing "maybe" will record the sound to compare
never found out what it was 2013 L405 V8 5.0 Aspirated Autobiography
gone 2005 LR3 V8 4.4 HSE
1999 TD5 Defender

Post #571369 31st Oct 2020 10:36am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I keep thinking I hear something similar on my XFR. It's been in a couple of times for it and even left there for nearly a week so they could hear it when stone cold as mine sits for a couple of weeks in the garage between use sometimes.

Unfortunately they couldn't hear anything. One thing I've been told on forums, etc. is the 5.0 is a noisy engine by design when compared to the 4.2 engine. I've never heard them side by side but from memory of my 4.2 SC FF it does seem to be.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #571597 2nd Nov 2020 4:07pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The 5.0 has a "diesel esk" direct-injected fuel system so can sound very "mechanical" compared with the more traditionally injected 4.2...

That's not to say "tapping" noises are normal or should be excused!

The OP's car sounds (excuse the pun!) like there is something amiss somewhere! Thumbs Up

Post #571673 3rd Nov 2020 2:50am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I was a little concerned, being previously used to Mercedes and BMW V8s. But I listened to six and they all were the same. Not as smooth and quiet as others I’ve had.

That is not to say there is or is not something amiss with yours. It’s impossible to say based on words.

But if not, then you can always tweak the exhaust and make that V8 rumble louder 🤣

Post #571682 3rd Nov 2020 8:22am
Japseroony

Quick update, the car was with the service ctr over the weekend after having its first service (£370) which included an oil change on Friday.

They noticed the tappet like sound on start up on Friday and logged it as an issue. After the service they kept the car until yesterday when they started the engine from cold - no tappet like sound!

So, I have the car back with clean new oil, £370 lighter in the wallet and so far no tapping noise - lets just see how long that lasts Whistle

The noise was not there when the engine was warm but very noticeable when cold and it was not just my imagination as the service ctr were very much of the opinion there was something wrong Thumbs Up "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #571724 3rd Nov 2020 3:51pm
Japseroony

Thought you guys should know the latest on this.

After the service the tapping seemed to have gone, but after a couple of weeks and 100 miles later on a cold December morning it returned.

I booked the car in to Team Valley (TVLR) and they had the car over night and noticed the tapping straight away in the morning and took a sound bite to send to LR - this was on the 5th Jan.

The car was booked back in on the 18th Jan with instructions from LR to remove the Supercharger - strange but true. Upon removing the tapping was not audible so they put it all back together - wrongly so in my opinion but who am I to tell LR what to do!

Anyway, the noise returned so LR said to take the rocker covers off and to check the tappets/valve clearances, which they did and nothing seemed amiss so they put it all back together for the tapping to persist!

As TVLR are a service ctr only I was running around in a Citroen C3 so I contacted LR to see if they could arrange a slightly better car and the original selling dealer became involved and asked if they could have the car to look at. My only real option was to say yes so my car was trailer-ed to Pickering LR in North Yorkshire.

Upon arrival they noticed the offending noise and replaced one of the many fuel pumps to no avail. LR then told them to take the rocker covers off and check the tappets again and upon doing so were lucky to notice some scoring on one of the cams.

Now to me the scoring is not the cause of the tapping but is the result of the tapping, but good old LR have told them to replace the offending camshaft and put the car back together. Apparently the tool that is needed for the normal 5ltr engine is different to the one needed for the SVA 5ltr so Pickering LR are awaiting the tool to arrive to then presumably put the engine back together.

I have chatted through this with the dealer principle and explained that the scoring is the result not the cause but he says they are following LR protocol and as such will do as they are told by LR.

Fortunately for me Pickering LR have agreed to buy the car back from me and LR are offering a goodwill gesture due to my past and current LR ownership and the fact that I am wishing to buy a further LR so effectively they are keeping my money.

I will, as and when I get some more news, let you all know what the problem was (sticking tappet is my guess but that's a head off job to fix) but suffice to say my old car has been with LR now for over 11 weeks and counting Shocked "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #590696 9th Apr 2021 10:36am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Oh dear. Sorry to hear.

But with a buy back and goodwill gesture it sounds like a good ending to me. I’m not sure I’d want that car.

Post #590705 9th Apr 2021 11:38am
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

Sorry to hear your problems.
I’ve had two cars with the 5L SC engine, L322 and 405, and never had a problem.
Apparently the Jag V8 is a very reliable engine.
Maybe the tuning on the SVA makes it less reliable for some reason?
Only guessing.
Good to hear JLR have decided to buy it back at a price that satisfies you.
Are you going for another SVA or waiting for the new L460 that is expected to be launched at the end of this year?

Post #590772 10th Apr 2021 9:11am
Japseroony

CSK, still waiting for the dealer to let me know what the final outcome on the repair is even though it’s not technically my car anymore, but nothing yet.

Had a really hard time deciding on what to do with regards to a new one and decided to go for a different vehicle but still a LR and getting a Defender X 110 P400 so will see how that goes.

Only thing is LR have lent me a 4.4 V8 diesel that wafts along and I love it so asking if I can buy it as well Whistle "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.

Post #590775 10th Apr 2021 9:57am
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

Congratulations with the purchase of your new Defender.
I have a 2016 110 that I would like to keep forever.
I’m torn between buying a 6 month old SVA offered at a good discount or wait for the new L460.
SVA is really special though!

Post #590777 10th Apr 2021 11:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1