Home > My Range Rover > Dommo's L322 4.2 Supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dommo

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Dommo's L322 4.2 Supercharged

Hi all,

Picked up my first L322 yesterday, though not new to the brand as a whole.

Photos
Photos first, obviously, that's most important! I'll add more as and when I've taken them, as you can see it was raining when I got home

Back Story
I've owned a Discovery 2 V8 for 8 years (or maybe more now) and it had slowly been relegated from every day car, to a long journey and towing car (I bought a city car to take on the commute), to just a towing car when I man math'd myself into another car that could do long journeys. In 2019 after being presented with yet another 4 figure MOT bill for the Disco, I decided it was time to start considering replacing it. I trawled through lots of options and it seemed every suitable 4x4 had flaws and weaknesses so I decided if I was going to face big bills, it might as well be worth it.

Fast forward to 2021 and I'd whittled down the engine to a 4.2 supercharged, whilst mileage wouldn't be great it should be at least one fairly reliable part of the car. There weren't many I liked on a ~3 month search, in the end it was a choice between two. One lower mileage, probably better looked after and pre 2006, one higher mileage, with a few niggles but 2007 and with an interior I liked. In the end, I chose the latter as the interior would be harder to change than fixing the niggles. Definitely heart over head there, but if keeping the car for a long time I'm going to have to like sitting in it.

First thoughts
I've not had a Range Rover since a cheap classic nearly 15 years ago. I'd forgotten all about it but weirdly jumping into the L322 took me straight back. The view of the bonnet was familiar and the "waftability" was there too. I wasn't expecting that!

The car is smooth to drive, no knocks or rattles of note. You feel very insulated, not only from the state of the roads but also the speed you're doing. 30mph and 60mph might as well be the same as there's no noticeable difference in noise. I wouldn't describe acceleration as urgent, but the speedo rises quicker than it feels also. It's no traffic light warrior, but you get the feeling it will hitch it's skirt up and go if asked. The discovery was the same (albeit it slower) but that request to really accelerate had to be made in writing with 14 days notice it seemed.

Snagging list
I'll not list everything that's good about the car, because I'm not planning on fixing that. It would also be a really long list as there's a lot of kit here! Instead I'll list the issues I know about, some I found when viewing the car, others I missed and discovered on the way home or when I got home. I couldn't check everything, so I just checked what I felt was important to me.

Side steps stuck in open position
    Tyre pressure monitoring system fault
    Door mirrors seem reluctant to auto fold
    GPS signal absent
    Roof lining sagging in rear a bit, perhaps previous washer fluid leak
    Need to add something to allow son to stream video from phone to rear screen
    Dents in rear tailgate need pulling out
    Treat first signs of rust
    Need to fit a tow bar and electrics
    Nearside tailgate strap missing, body mount snapped
    Cover missing on rear passenger ashtray

That's about it, so not too bad a hit!

Last edited by Dommo on 4th May 2021 12:35pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #593091 4th May 2021 7:17am
Dommo

A couple more little jobs found today, suspect this will be the gift that keeps on giving. There's a cover missing from the rear passenger ashtray and the passenger side boot strap for the tailgate is missing, looks like it was rusty and the fitting snapped when someone was trying to remove it for good measure.

Click image to enlarge

Might be a bit of a git to get to, but should clean up nicely once removed and fitting a new strap isn't going to be rocket surgery (fate tempted).

Post #593117 4th May 2021 12:34pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Looks nice mate.

Just FYI, you may not be bothered, you can now get upgraded bolts to hold the rear lights in, that stop folk nicking the lights.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #593144 4th May 2021 4:14pm
MR GLOVER

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

very nice have fun Thumbs Up what are the rear wheel arches like for rust?

Post #593149 4th May 2021 4:42pm
Dommo

mjdronfield wrote:
Looks nice mate.

Just FYI, you may not be bothered, you can now get upgraded bolts to hold the rear lights in, that stop folk nicking the lights.

Thumbs Up

Ah do they slot spanners in there to undo the bolts? Sounds like a "whilst you're there" kind of job Thumbs Up

Post #593150 4th May 2021 4:47pm
Dommo

MR GLOVER wrote:
very nice have fun Thumbs Up what are the rear wheel arches like for rust?

So far so good I think. No bubbles, but a light bit of orange that I'll get treated before it becomes a problem. The underneath seems to have had the attention of some underseal, but I'm not sure the bits that have rust anyway. I'll not have a proper look until I fit the tow bar armature.

Post #593151 4th May 2021 4:49pm
CongoBoy

South Africa 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Dommo wrote:
A couple more little jobs found today, suspect this will be the gift that keeps on giving. There's a cover missing from the rear passenger ashtray and the passenger side boot strap for the tailgate is missing, looks like it was rusty and the fitting snapped when someone was trying to remove it for good measure.

Click image to enlarge

Might be a bit of a git to get to, but should clean up nicely once removed, and fitting a new strap isn't going to be rocket surgery (fate tempted).

Mine was the same. One side easy-ish, with an impact driver and big bar but on the other side, I had to drill it out.
A real PITA! 2005 FFRR SC Java Black with Overfinch Exhaust (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Izmir Blue (ZA/Zimbabwe)
1995 D1 300 Tdi (Zimbabwe)

Post #593153 4th May 2021 5:16pm
Dommo

The other side is brand new (I'm sure I checked it when viewing the car but clearly not!), so think it's the same.

My brother has just popped his IID tool and downloaded all the logged faults. Suspicions that the battery is suffering, it's at 11.5 volts. I'd have thought it would have been a bit higher given it's being driven but I'll pop it on charge and monitor it.

The tyre pressure issue didn't immediately come back after clearing, so that's good.

Post #593166 4th May 2021 7:23pm
CongoBoy

South Africa 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Also had lots of faults because of the battery reading low, 11.3-11.5volts.
I've got my GAP IID tool registered now to this.
I'm currently in quarantine, having come back from work in a red list country, but I've already organised for a new battery to be put in the old girl and apparently some of the reoccurring faults have gone.
This will be confirmed when I can get to drive and check with the IID.
I'll let you know. 2005 FFRR SC Java Black with Overfinch Exhaust (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Izmir Blue (ZA/Zimbabwe)
1995 D1 300 Tdi (Zimbabwe)

Post #593173 4th May 2021 8:22pm
Dommo

Sounds like we're on the same path. The battery doesn't look too old so I'll give it a chance on the CTEK before condemning it

Post #593192 4th May 2021 10:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1