Home > Technical (L405) > Whistling sound when cornering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MonkeyMan

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey
Whistling sound when cornering

Hello all

Recently picked up my first RR, 2013 AB. I'm new to much of this after being in Jags for the last 20 years. One question is about the air suspension. In mine, there is a definite whistling/hissing/squealing sound from the left hand side of the car (both front and rear) when cornering. There is no corresponding sound from the right hand side.

It's under warranty, and Im used to JLR vehicles having 'quirks', just wondered if anyone else has encountered this before I take it back in to be checked? Be good to give the grease monkeys an idea of what the fault is.

Post #592345 25th Apr 2021 4:12pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Is this noise only apparent when cornering one way, or cornering both ways. If the noise is loud enough to be heard, then if it is from the air suspension, I would think you would have had other air sus issues by now.
Some noises can be very deceptive, ie squealing could be from a bearing or brakes, or something else rubbing.

Upon taking it to the dealer, insist that someone accompanies you on a test drive so you can hear it when they do before they investigate.

Post #592385 25th Apr 2021 10:02pm
MonkeyMan

Sorry for the delayed reply, been tied up with work. I had a good listen yesterday when driving, it happens when turning both ways, but the sound is only from the left hand side of the car. Its got to go in soon and have a towbar fitted, so the garage will check it out then.

Post #592508 27th Apr 2021 8:57am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Welcome to the forum. I had exactly this issue with mine when I bought it last year. See my thread here.

The issue was not with the air suspension. The cause of the problem was the hydraulic pipes that supply/return the hydraulic fluid to the active anti roll bar vibrating on the deployable side steps brackets. When cornering, fluid is being pumped through the pipes to stabilise the vehicle which causes the resonance.

The resolution is to fit little rubber shrouds, part number LR052713, over the pipes in those places. Deployable steps are not fitted at the factory, but by the dealer when the vehicle is new. This therefore should have been done by the original dealer when fitting the side steps but it appears many dealers missed them off when installing!

In order to prove it, I shoved a bit of rag in the following location. The noise was much improved. When the rubber shrouds were fitted, the noise was completely eliminated.

Click image to enlarge

Hope this helps Thumbs Up Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #592557 27th Apr 2021 8:28pm
MonkeyMan

Kev, thats awesome, thanks for sharing that information, makes my life a lot easier with the dealer.

Post #592654 29th Apr 2021 10:15am
pherplexed

United States 

knwatkins wrote:
The resolution is to fit little rubber shrouds, part number LR052713, over the pipes in those places. Deployable steps are not fitted at the factory, but by the dealer when the vehicle is new. This therefore should have been done by the original dealer when fitting the side steps but it appears many dealers missed them off when installing!

Thanks for this! I have the side steps and hearing a similar noise when cornering – will check and see if those rubber shrouds are missing. It looks like you had to remove a panel to access those pipes – what's involved? 2021 P525 | Eiger Gray

Post #593298 5th May 2021 8:03pm
MonkeyMan

Mine is going in to the dealer to have this sorted in about 2 weeks, as well as having a towbar fitted (they listed it as having one, it doesn't, so its on them to fit one). I'll ask whats involved when they get down to this job.

Post #593305 5th May 2021 8:53pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I had the covers off because I was inspecting the pipes. I can't remember if they need to come off to get the pipes where the shrouds should be located, but taking the cover off is just a simple case of undoing a few fasteners.

It's a quick and easy job, the little shrouds just clip straight over the pipes.

Hope you guys get it sorted and that this is the root cause of the problem Thumbs Up Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #593308 5th May 2021 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1