Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Speaker meltdown (literally)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Theysell

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
Speaker meltdown (literally)

Hi all - first post. Normally I can find everything I need without posting myself but this one seems a bit odd.

After my fairly recent purchase of a 2010 L322 3.6 I discovered that the majority of my speakers in the front didn't work. The centre dash one being the exception. However, yesterday I was met with a horrible plastic burning smell through the centre vents and then discovered the centre dash speaker (5H22-18808-FA) seemed to have packed in too. I took it out this morning and discovered the magnet had almost melted away from the cone (see image). I've not seen this happen before. Surprised

IID shows at least 5 speaker faults (open circuit fault). I've ordered a new speaker for the dash but was wondering if there's an underlying problem here. When I move the fader to front only I get an extremely muffled (you couldn't make out a voice) and very low volume sound. I've inspected the amp and all 'seems' dry back there and 'looks' okay but I haven't taken it out completely. The only odd thing is the hybrid TV tuner seems to have been removed at some stage so there's nothing plugged in where that should be.

Is it just a case of replacing all the non-functioning speakers or should I be investigating something else first?! I might add my electrical knowledge is rubbish...

Any wisdom appreciated!

Click image to enlarge

Post #593953 12th May 2021 9:15am
Theysell

The plot thickens a bit.

I've just had another look around. Besides the missing TV tuner and the unplugged cables is there something missing from the back of the amp? There seems to be an empty black input above the grey one? I cant find anything down there that's unplugged though.

It also looks remarkably dry down there with no signs of water ingress...

Click image to enlarge

Post #593989 12th May 2021 2:01pm
Fifth Horseman

Scotland 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Wow - never seen a speaker fail like that before Shocked

For that to happen there had to be a serious build up of heat in the speaker coil. About the only way for that to happen would be for a continuous voltage to be applied to the speaker generating a lot of heat. This could be used by an amplifier fault or a short in the wiring loom somewhere.

As you say other speakers also don't work then it seems that the amplifier is the prime suspect. Although it looks ok there could well be an internal fault, unfortunately a lot of electronic faults are not visible unless serious enough to let the magic smoke out.

First check would be to unplug all the speakers then with the audio system on, but not playing any audio, check for any voltage at the speaker connectors (between the terminals - not from a terminal to chassis) - there shouldn't be any. If there is then pull the fuse for the amplifier then check again, if the voltage has gone then the fault is the amplifier. If it's still there then there is a fault elsewhere in the wiring loom.
If there is no voltage at the speakers with the above test then the next check would be to play some audio at a lowish level and check for a fluctuating AC voltage at the speaker terminals and then at the amplifier output terminals if there is none at the speaker in order to rule out a broken wire to the speaker.

The speaker open circuit faults reported by the IIDTool can be caused by a fault in either the speaker, wiring or the amplifier itself.

The unused connector on the amp could just be one that's not used in your particular case.

Post #593995 12th May 2021 2:20pm
Theysell

Excellent comprehensive responsive - thanks! There goes my Saturday.

And yes, I thought the speaker melting was pretty spectacular too!

I had already resigned myself to a new amp but I'll run through your suggestions first. I did find it odd for seven speakers to have independently failed yet the amp be fine.

Thanks again!

Post #593996 12th May 2021 2:37pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

have you been using a battery recharger? Mine went (on an earlier FFRR) exactly as yours (in fact warped the console top as well!) - it must have been overheat caused by the battery recharge.

Post #594003 12th May 2021 3:00pm
Theysell

Nice to know I'm not the only one! Whilst I have reconditioned the battery recently I took it off the car to do it. Something I shall now ensure I do every time Wink

Post #594005 12th May 2021 3:39pm
Theysell

So, new amplifier in and still all the fronts barring the (new) centre Logic 7 speaker are really muffled, as in almost not working at all. I haven't had chance to check the voltage on the speakers yet but it's next on the list.

However, I did come across this - https://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/l32.../page_755/

It mentions an auxiliary amplifier mounted to the subwoofer, which I didn't know existed (I knew it had a sub but not with an aux amp attached). It also says that this amp drives all the speakers on the car that happen to be dead. So logic tells me, I have, HOPEFULLY, found the culprit...

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Post #594821 20th May 2021 4:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1