Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Easy fit transmission pan.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tommo10ferrets

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue
Easy fit transmission pan.

Evening everyone, hope you are all well, Would like to pick someone's brains if I can, I bought a 2005 l322, supercharged a couple of months ago, started having shift problems about a month ago, as well as the 1,2,1 down shift, so bought 8 litres of lifeguard 6 fluid, drained & flushed twice ( after running the car for a few hundred mile between fluid change) it did improve slightly, so started to look into things a bit more, I did have a read out on the dash a few times saying limited gears available, ignition on & off & it went away, car drove ok, the general consensus was that there was a problem with the solenoids, so bought a new set & a Gap idd tool, also bought a easy fit pan & filter, electronics seal, carried out the swop last weekend, now the bit I'm worried about is the new pan, at the end where the drain plug is, by all accounts is a filling point, its about 19mm, so big Allen key require, now, where this is inside the pan, the shaft had a shaped white plastic cover on it, it is hollow so fluid could get through it, I debated if I should pull it off or not, but it looked right, as if it should be there, so left it on & offered the pan up, fitted no problem, everything went well, filled the trans with fluid, after I done all this, I cleared the adaptations using the Gap tool, took the car out, couldn't believe the difference, it was really good, been driving the last week every day a round trip of a hundred miles( work) every now & then I may get a little rough change, ZF stated in the paperwork that came with the solenoids that it may be erratic for 3 or 4 weeks. I know I've gone round the houses to ask my question but wanted to give the background, since I've fitted the pan, I've been told that I should have taken that white plastic bit off !!!!!! has any one fitted these new metal pans ? if so does the plastic bit need to come off? I had a web chat with the place I bought the pan from, they said it should have come off, so I asked if any damage would have been caused, they said the the fluid would not get filtered ! so I thought about it & can't see how it wouldn't get filtered, the filter is at the other end of the pan!! So I don't know, any comments welcome if you have had the same issue or got a definitive answer one way or another. Thanks for reading the long winded post. Regards Tommo

Post #594944 21st May 2021 8:04pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

I would remove the plastic piece mentioned ASAP, if I were you, it is probably restricting the oil flow, you could well damage the gearbox Shocked

Post #594947 21st May 2021 8:43pm
Joe90

England 

Do you mean this:

Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #594954 21st May 2021 10:37pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

It may help to state exactly which replacement part you used, Maker / type etc.
If the maker's state that the plastic part MUST be removed prior to fitting, then you will have to drop the pan again to remove it.

Post #594959 22nd May 2021 6:17am
tommo10ferrets

Morning all, yes, that's the bit, there was no instructions with the pan, if it was put on for transportation protection it looks over engineered, a simple cap would have sufficed, i watched 3 videos on YouTube last night, 1 of them, an Australian mechanic said he didn't know what it was & suggested it was for protection, took it off & fitted, the other two, one a French mechanic left it on, didn't mention it & fitted, the other one was from Rimmerbros, he didn't mention it either & fitted it. so I don't know lol, as i said earlier, it sort of looks right if you know what i mean, I bought it from LR, Liverpool, when I had a web chat with them he said remove it because it won't filter the oil, I think he was mistaking the bit I was talking about with the cap on the filter, I may be wrong. Thanks for all your replies, it's appreciated, i may ring Rimmerbos & ask them, I won't be dropping the pan until tomorrow so may get a definitive answer by then, I'll update later if I have any news. Thanks all. Tommo

Post #594968 22nd May 2021 10:02am
Joe90

England 

It is odd, because some pans appear to have this plastic cap, and others do not. My one didn't have it. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #594976 22nd May 2021 10:57am
tommo10ferrets

Just come off the phone to Rimmerbros, no help there unfortunately, they didn't know, so I've emailed LR, Liverpool where I bought it from & asked them to email any instructions that should have been in the box, wait & see now, but think you'll agree that it looks right & just not a transportation protection, hopefully we'll see.
Regards
Tommo

Post #594979 22nd May 2021 11:24am
tommo10ferrets

Afternoon all, Just had an email back concerning the white plastic bit, It's got to come off !!!!! Well at least I have a definitive answer now, hopefully it will help other members if they have the same problem, Still think it looks right though lol.
Regards
Tommo

Post #595168 24th May 2021 11:13am
tommo10ferrets

up date

Morning All, just a quick update, drained the pan, took it down removed the plastic bit, put all back together, took the car for test drive, all seemed ok, got home, checked underneath, got a leak !! so have got to sort that this afternoon. But the good bit, if I can call it that, is, I was on line last night, came across this, follow the link, have a look at the second part down, 2 plugs part, https://mjproducts.com.au/zf6hp26-automati...c98ba2045f

Think the white plastic bit I've taken off is the oil diffuser mentioned in the instructions, have a look & see what you think. I've got the hump.
Regards
Tommo

Post #595285 25th May 2021 11:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1