Home > Technical (L322) > Tow bar Electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
transporter

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black
Tow bar Electrics

Hi

New to forum, and it is great reading, but not new to Rangeys. On my third one now in 11 years.
late 2006 TD6 , Oxford trim with Piano wood, 30000 miles Extended /extended warranty after the three year one ran out.! Believe it or not never used the warranty for anything apart from maybe claiming on the following.

Bought the RR at twelve months old. At the time didn't have a tow bar fitted, so had one fitted by Independant. Believe it or not ,never towed with the RR it for eighteen months. When I first plugged my trailer in , the trailer tell tale stayed on and glowed red. Trip to dealer. Not covered under warranty as non genuine, but in fairness they had a look .
"Diagnostics wont recognize the electrics, so we can't do anything. Maybe wiring incorrect so fit genuine relays , loom and sockets".
£200 ish later -red light cured now stuck on Green!!! Sad
Everything works as it should, but I think it is law to have some visual /audible means of warning that indicators aren't working. Don't fancy assuming an artic has seen my indicator, just as I pull out !!

On going saga, and I haven't really pushed it, until now, as I'm towing into France, so thought it would be good to use the RR instead of my van.

Next suggestion from Land Rover -new Instrument pack - covered under warranty Very Happy

Fitted this week - didn't work so now unfitted. Sad

Latest suggestion from Land Rover- new BECM ( I think that's what they said ), but they are not sure if warranty people will accept this , so might have to pay, but they think I can escape the charges with proper wording on the claim form.

Through all this, I have to say the dealer has been really good, and they haven't charged me for diagnostics or anything else, apart from the loom etc

Any thoughts would be good as Land Rover can't seem to sort this one

Thanks for reading and sorry if it's a bit long winded

Post #59449 8th Apr 2011 6:51pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

The green tell-tale is meant to be on all the time. It is to let you know the car has bulb monitoring going on for the trailer as well. Lesser cars without bulb failure warnings are the ones which flash with the indicators.

All good. Thumbs Up

EDIT. The dealer really ought to have known this Whistle Whistle

Post #59463 8th Apr 2011 7:45pm
transporter

Well Censored me.
Witter who supplied the kit originally don't obviously know this either,

I said this as a joke about a year ago to the dealer. I am totally amazed that not even Land Rover could sort this.

Bow down
Thumbs Up

Thank you very much

Post #59476 8th Apr 2011 8:31pm
mzplcg

LOL, well I despair of the dealers sometimes. The Techs (mostly) don't know Jack Schitt about the cars they're working on. Instead they all rely on the diagnostic computers to tell them what's wrong. No thought process at all, just blindly believing the machine Rolling Eyes

You're in the right place to get correct information. This forum collectively knows more about Full-Fats than many dealers ever will. There are some good dealers but they do have issues retaining decent techs, a lot of whom end up at indie places or working for themselves cos the pay's better.

As for Witter, well they are good at welding large lumps of pig iron together but delicate electronics probably isn't their bag.

Dom

Post #59495 8th Apr 2011 9:11pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

My trailer light doesnt come on all the time - and I do have genuine electrics... Just to throw a spanner in the works... 

Post #59507 8th Apr 2011 9:22pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

+1 - mine only comes on when I use the indicator, as a check - I also have LR towing gear + electrics 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #59508 8th Apr 2011 9:24pm
transporter

Yes you're right.

We bought a new Volvo about six months ago for work. Week old Airbags packed up . They didn't know anything about the fault , because guess what " the computer says no faults" even though the car said don't drive.

Big arguments as they wanted us to drive with no guarantees as to whether the airbags would work !!

THREE WEEKS IT TOOK TO SORT. An electrical connector wasn't shoved together hard enough in the door .. if only we could see through these eyes ........

We did get exact same car foc to drive coutesy of Volvo- nowt else

Guess what now a major recall for this fault.

Live and learn

Post #59509 8th Apr 2011 9:25pm
transporter

Sorry still learning.The Volvo moan was reply to Dom about lack of practical knowledge. Embarassed

Okay who's right.

Help

Post #59511 8th Apr 2011 9:30pm
mzplcg

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
My trailer light doesnt come on all the time - and I do have genuine electrics... Just to throw a spanner in the works...

Hmmmm, well I do have 13 pin, not the dual 7's but I've used 3 now, all 2007 models with genuine 13 pin and it integrates with the bulb warning system. Told me when a sidelight bulb on the van was out.

Thing is, same module for both kits (white BMW box in OSR area) which might imply the sockets at the end make no difference. All model years had bulb monitoring AFAIK but mabe the early cars had a different way of doing things. Doesn't explain Tim's 2008 though.

Which sockets do you chaps have?

Post #59513 8th Apr 2011 9:38pm
Stuart

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I am a caravan dealer and have a 54 plate Vogue. Haven't had it long, and haven't towed with it much. But when I have a caravan connected I have nothing to indicate this, and no bleep, or separate light or anything else when I am indicating to confirm that the caravan is still atttached.

However, when I did have a problem with a side light bulb on the caravan not working, the display read "Check trailer bulb" or something very similar.

So, my limited experience of towing with my MY FFRR suggests to me that only if there is a fault do you get an indication of the fault via a readout on the dash.

Hope this helps.

Post #59521 8th Apr 2011 10:02pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

mzplcg.............. mine is a 2010MY 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #59522 8th Apr 2011 10:02pm
mzplcg

yeah, sorry. read the TDV8 bit and saw 2008.

No matter though, point it it's later than the 2006 facelift which was only the infotainment system that really changed. The base electrics remained fairly constant.

So, got my trailerboard out (bike rack thingy) and tested it. When connected the green light is constant. Take out an indicator bulb and it flashes faster. Take out a sidelight bulb and message appears on the dash "Check trailer bulb". This is a 7 pin on a 13>>7 adapter.

This is what I used to get on my previous 2007 car. :confused now:

I would say this looks like correct behaviour. Bulb monitoring system for brake and side lights and double flash rate on indicators when a bulb blows.

Dom

Post #59524 8th Apr 2011 10:17pm
BrianC

Scotland 

my trailer light stays on all the time when the trailer is plugged in

Post #59525 8th Apr 2011 10:21pm
transporter

Great, it at least looks as though it 's in favour of operating correctly. I was going to ring Cust Services at Land Rover at some time, and have a moan, but it looks like I'll politely ask a question.

Will let you know their answer.

Many, many thanks to you all Bow down

Post #59527 8th Apr 2011 10:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1