Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Home WiFi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

We have both bands turned on on our TP link deco system.

It works fairly well but I am looking to swap out soon, I quite fancy a Ubiquity mesh system, as they seem well regarded and aren’t loads of pennies.

We have cat 6 round the whole house which makes a big difference but as we do have a gigabit fibre connection the wifey is always going to be the weak point. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #594178 13th May 2021 9:13pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

We have the Tenda Nova mesh network and it's great. It was super simple to set up and you just place the boxes around the house. I even placed one of the nodes in the shed to we have great WiFi in the garden too. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #594184 13th May 2021 10:12pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Wifi does not go well through stone. My house is mostly wooden but has cast concrete floors for the underfloor heating so the network doesn't go across floors.

I tried powerline but it was not enough bandwidth and didn't seem so reliable, so eventually I bit the bullet and put cat 6 cable to each floor and a wireless access point.

It's a pain to have to change networks every time you go upstairs but now the signal is fab (gigabit) and I can copy large files easily to the network attached storage I have in the garage. Wish I'd done it in the beginning rather than faff around with sub-optimal stuff.

Post #594311 15th May 2021 10:30am
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

With the same SSID and set on non-overlapping channels, my devices roam pretty seamlessly between my two APs. At least I've never noticed an issue and I don't have to change networks. Laughing 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #594312 15th May 2021 10:36am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I could do that, but what I find is the device sticks to the poor one as long as there's a connection.

Laughing

Post #594369 16th May 2021 9:07am
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Yes, I know what you mean. I set up a rule on my APs which kicks off devices when the signal falls below a set threshold. That did improve things quite a lot. 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #594376 16th May 2021 11:35am
ilard

United Kingdom 

I have the same problem and also wanted Wifi throughout the garden so invested in a Ubiquiti Unifi set up which probably owes me at least £1000 (and I installed it myself + some fixed ethernet plumbing by my electrician). But I get great performance in every room and outside. T set it up is kind of simple but really you need to know what you are doing or be prepared to read up an awful lot. The quality of the products are business-grade if not quite enterprise grade.

But in most cases power line adaptors are the way to go. I only recommend Devolo products... I have used TP Link in the past, and others, and never been happy. If you have old wiring in your house then performance may suffer. Start with one pair of devices (wifi-less on your router end, and with wifi on your distance end), fix it to the same SSID, and you'll have good roaming performance. Expand to other areas of your property as you need. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #595474 27th May 2021 12:30pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I too now have a Ubiquiti set up at home and the difference compared to "consumer" products is astonishing.

Wife and I both work from home and my kids game and stream like it's going out of fashion and I just got fed up of the whining about poor internet speed even though we have a virgin media 350Mb connection.

Binned my Asus and TP Link stuff and belkin extenders and switched off the wifi on the virgin hub so its now only in modem mode. Installed Unifi Dream Machine Pro and 2 AP's and everthing connects at a really high speed and devices roam between AP's without dropping connections.

Everyone's now happy - result Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #595482 27th May 2021 12:57pm
RJPotts

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I've previously hard-wired the important bits of my house with ethernet cabling, the only awkward bit as expected was finding ways to route the cabling so it's completely hidden (some of mine goes out the wall and down into / along the gravel soakaway at the base of the walls, then back in where I need it). There is only one telephone socket, right inside the door, so rather than have to start there I put a network switch ontop of a kitchen cabinet and used that as the start point, with a single cable to the router (using the switch also means I have the advantage of being able to connect 24 devices instead of the standard 4).

Nothing wireless will be as reliable as a wired connection but there's a great deal of work involved. My house is small and it was enough of a job. Although it's cheap, total cost of the cabling was about £20, tools / plugs etc to finish the cables probably about £15, a network switch (not strictly necessary) can be had for anything between about £12 & £60, depending on the number of sockets needed.

I can't vouch for any wireless solution myself but a friend has recently bought the following and raves about them;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M4-Seamless-...amp;sr=8-5

Good luck!
Richard

Post #605121 29th Aug 2021 5:11pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

I've got one of these Netgear Nighthawk mesh systems https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154237993098

Works for our house with Block walls. Easy to install and set up - does most of it itself. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #605122 29th Aug 2021 5:31pm
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

We live in a big 1930’s house and every wall is thick and solid, we just switched provider to Gigaclear fibre and it uses the Linksys mesh kit and its great. One of the additional mesh ‘receivers’ is in the kitchen and gives enough signal to pick up the wifi in all of the garden too

Post #605385 2nd Sep 2021 9:27am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Mesh WiFi is really useful. Optimum WiFi access points will always be wired, but wireless mesh solves dead spots and those solutions are feasibly priced. Assuming a full-on home networking solution (like UniFi) is not used, I’d normally look at powerline + powerline WiFi, and specifically Devolo (other electronics providers ain’t good enough for me, so far). L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #605531 3rd Sep 2021 11:29pm
Andra

United Kingdom 

Fill yer boots with information from my mate Vince . Bloke is excellent .
There is a very interesting 42 minute video on altering the existing phone wiring in an old house . On his home page mouse over telecoms and click telecoms 6 and its the second video down titled speed up your broadband by installing an adsl faceplate + extension using existing wiring . That could be more relevant to your property as the phone system wiring is different to modern houses . Vince shows many other ways to improve your broadband .
See if this link works .https://www.mymatevince.com/telecoms-part-6
This other link to youtube seems to show the video on this post .
Same video on youtube

&t=1s

Post #606439 15th Sep 2021 3:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12