Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Shiny tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I use Meguairs , excellent for special occasions, but it doesn’t last very long, so mostly I use soap and water.

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #595993 31st May 2021 5:48pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

As a temporary measure I will try that stuff from B&M, see how it goes, thanks for pointing it out.

As for the shoe polish, use a big tin and apply with a very stiff brush, leave for a while and polish up with a softer brush, but yes still takes quite some time. Dubbin is almost adding a water proof layer.

The only problem with B&M is that you go in for one item and you come out with a bag full of stuff, that you didn't know you needed till you went in there. Whistle Rolling with laughter

Post #595995 31st May 2021 5:55pm
Pimpinthepidge

England 

I use meguiers also, you can add more product to get a higher shine or just 1 coat for a quick clean look, I find cleaning the tire first with a stiff brush helps the product. I used to use whichever was on offer at the supermarket but found that the tires were cracking and looking old before there time.

Post #595998 31st May 2021 6:01pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Re: Shiny tyres?

RRover wrote:
Couldn't think where else to put this, and nothing on search. But just wondered what tips or ideas or products (DIY would be better) anyone has on keeping our big fatty tyres looking nice and shiny and new. I have a few products and even tried liquid silicone but the shine is gone after every drive - even if only after a dozen miles or so. And the big beast's look so sad and pitiful with grubby tyres. Neutral

How old are your tyres? If they are old, some get porous and the tyre shine seams to soak in...

Post #596036 1st Jun 2021 12:31am
RRover

2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Causeway Grey

knwatkins wrote:
Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel. You only need a tiny bit. A bottle costs about a tenner.

I've had my bottle about 10 years and I'm about half way through it.

50p a year, you can't get better value than that!

Looks interesting...
The reviews would suggest 'used sparingly' and wipe down afterwards, as it can attract road dirt/grime that can turn the grime brown. Petroleum based I believe. If not wiped down will spew over the bodywork - especially so in hot climates. Other's also say it last ages... Tyres need DEEP cleaning prior to using... I guess that goes with most products though...

Post #596056 1st Jun 2021 8:51am
RRover

Baltic Blue wrote:
I use Meguairs , excellent for special occasions, but it doesn’t last very long, so mostly I use soap and water.

Mike.

Very Happy Lovely special day car for sure!

Post #596057 1st Jun 2021 8:53am
Martin2

England 

Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel

That's the one I use when I give the car a thorough clean/polish. I do apply sparingly with a sponge and don't wipe over afterwards, just work it around the tyre with the sponge. It doesn't come off onto the bodywork and lasts well. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #596058 1st Jun 2021 8:55am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

RRover wrote:
knwatkins wrote:
Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel. You only need a tiny bit. A bottle costs about a tenner.

Looks interesting...
The reviews would suggest 'used sparingly' and wipe down afterwards, as it can attract road dirt/grime that can turn the grime brown. Petroleum based I believe. If not wiped down will spew over the bodywork - especially so in hot climates. Other's also say it last ages... Tyres need DEEP cleaning prior to using... I guess that goes with most products though...

Yes, like I say, you only need a little bit. I always use the same applicator pad which is sodden in it, so I only need need a tiny drop to wipe over. It has great longevity in my experience.

Here is a good comparison video of various products by John of the Forensic Detailing Channel. His comparisons are very fair and unbiased. Definitely worth a watch if you have a spare few minutes...

Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #596059 1st Jun 2021 9:00am
RRover

Merchy wrote:
As a temporary measure I will try that stuff from B&M, see how it goes, thanks for pointing it out.

As for the shoe polish, use a big tin and apply with a very stiff brush, leave for a while and polish up with a softer brush, but yes still takes quite some time. Dubbin is almost adding a water proof layer.

The only problem with B&M is that you go in for one item and you come out with a bag full of stuff, that you didn't know you needed till you went in there. Whistle Rolling with laughter

Yes good points.

You are correct about B&M and leaving with bags of stuff you probably don't really need. I tell the misses (naughtily) they have high infection rates and so she should not enter, or unless accompanied by a qualified peer reviewed psychologist.

We once went out to purchase some top-up for a deep carpet cleaner thingy some friends loaned us, for about £9... but ended up purchasing a £5000 hot-tub we never had the money for, for our last abode!!! Big Cry Luckily we didn't have to pay a thing for 4-years and by that time we had just about sold the house, to which I thankfully managed to get £25,000 over its usual price, and it was the hot tub that swung the deal, apparently. Very Happy

No more shopping for carpet cleaner top-up though... Shocked

Post #596060 1st Jun 2021 9:03am
RRover

Yes I'll have to give the Meguiers a go - looks popular. And for a tenner you can't really go wrong. Yes good scrub up prior to application looks to be essential. Cheers! We do get some salt erosion/probs on tyres here since moving to the seaside. All our car's in last 6-years have been affected either by salt or bad roads. combos..... Suspension struts/arms too!

Post #596061 1st Jun 2021 9:10am
RRover

Martin2 wrote:
Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel

That's the one I use when I give the car a thorough clean/polish. I do apply sparingly with a sponge and don't wipe over afterwards, just work it around the tyre with the sponge. It doesn't come off onto the bodywork and lasts well.

Maybe the sponge application somehow helps it adhere better?!? Many say it sprays off if excessively applied. Looks jolly good stuff though. Very Happy

Post #596062 1st Jun 2021 9:12am
Martin2

England 

I suspect people go a bit mad applying it to get a shine, but working it in thinly with a sponge gives a good finish without any issues. Thumbs Up MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #596063 1st Jun 2021 9:15am
RRover

Re: Shiny tyres?

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
RRover wrote:
Couldn't think where else to put this, and nothing on search. But just wondered what tips or ideas or products (DIY would be better) anyone has on keeping our big fatty tyres looking nice and shiny and new. I have a few products and even tried liquid silicone but the shine is gone after every drive - even if only after a dozen miles or so. And the big beast's look so sad and pitiful with grubby tyres. Neutral

How old are your tyres? If they are old, some get porous and the tyre shine seams to soak in...

Mnnnnn!?! Various ages from two years to two months. They are all higher priced budget ACCELERA IOTA which have already come under fire here - might have something to do with it. They do ride and wear AOK though - no probs there.
The bloody beading or gill areas or square blocks of areas (that are apparently for tyre cooling?!?) on the tyres are a real nuisance to clean and shine...

Post #596064 1st Jun 2021 9:18am
RRover

Yes cheers for this - will watch indeed.

Post #596065 1st Jun 2021 9:19am
RRover

knwatkins wrote:

I had my hands on the stuff in Halfords today, £12.00 odd..... Very Happy But somehow - And I still don't know how - the boss managed to convinced me it was too expensive. Even the £2.00 for the micro-fibre pad (2) I had in hand and was happy with was somehow too expensive, and I believed it... so left empty handed!!! Only when we reached the garden centre (well B&Q) did I realise what my free hands were for - more green stuff for the garden!!! Big Cry
I hope one day I grow up to be confident enough to shop for myself... Rolling with laughter

Post #596105 1st Jun 2021 3:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>