Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Slow progress

United Kingdom 
Puppy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Quick question, we have a young puppy at 14 weeks old but she’s struggling with car sickness, anyone have any tips?

We’ve a 9hr drive (plus stops) in late summer and need to get it as sorted as possible.

Here is the guilty party

Post #599485 3rd Jul 2021 9:39am
Joe90

England 

From wikipedia, i guess it applies as much to dogs as people:

Quote:
Carsickness

A specific form of terrestrial motion sickness, being carsick is quite common and evidenced by disorientation while reading a map, a book, or a small screen during travel. Carsickness results from the sensory conflict arising in the brain from differing sensory inputs. Motion sickness is caused by a conflict between signals arriving in the brain from the inner ear, which forms the base of the vestibular system, the sensory apparatus that deals with movement and balance, and which detects motion mechanically. If someone is looking at a stationary object within a vehicle, such as a magazine, their eyes will inform their brain that what they are viewing is not moving. Their inner ears, however, will contradict this by sensing the motion of the vehicle.[3]

Varying theories exist as to cause. The sensory conflict theory notes that the eyes view motion while riding in the moving vehicle while other body sensors sense stillness, creating conflict between the eyes and inner ear. Another suggests the eyes mostly see the interior of the car which is motionless while the vestibular system of the inner ear senses motion as the vehicle goes around corners or over hills and even small bumps. Therefore, the effect is worse when looking down but may be lessened by looking outside of the vehicle.

Can the puppy see out, get their visual bearings on the world around them as the car moves ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #599507 3rd Jul 2021 12:23pm
Slow progress

United Kingdom 

Yes, she sits in the boot looking out the back. Then within 15-20mins lays down and is sick!!

Post #599513 3rd Jul 2021 1:00pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Our Springer when very young was car sick, well would drool a lot, even to the point she would not get into the car! Over time and going out more she got used to it....now she jumps in the car no problem and want to go everywhere she's now never sick or drools.
Sadly 'time' is the key here and do little journeys often, might help?
Took us about 8 months to a year I think, for a fully confident pup to travel happy.

Good luck, all will be fine in the end. If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #599520 3rd Jul 2021 2:50pm
Bean19844

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

Journey like that mate I'd puppy in the main seating areas. I had a Jackchi n he was car sick all the time. Popped him on shebeasts (ex) lap when we went to Wales n he was golden all the way. Seemed to love a bit of window surfing at slow speeds and enjoyed the company but mostly its a time factor to get used too..

Post #599922 7th Jul 2021 12:24pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Start by daily short 5min journeys for a nice walk in a park/forest, it soon gets to realise the car is great for taking me to nice places. After a few weeks make it a 10min drive etc and gradually build up the journey time.

Agree with other post's the dog needs to see out of the windows, so buy a thick waterproof bed to lift it up more.

Our dog was the same, but these measures soon helped her through it, and she has travelled all the way to Latvia and back, several times, at home she will sit in the boot and sleep while we work in the garden, its become her safe place lol

Also Consider this on Amazon, saves you lifting the dog in and out lol train them young --- Puppies up to 18 month can easily damage their bones etc jumping out of the car

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COLORFEY-Dog-Ramp...amp;sr=8-5

there are cheaper but this is ideal for my now 45kg 7Y old puppy lol
Good Luck 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #599940 7th Jul 2021 2:13pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Is she a spin?

Post #599945 7th Jul 2021 3:37pm
Slow progress

United Kingdom 

She is indeed….and currently teething!

Post #600091 8th Jul 2021 8:29pm