Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > My “How to” on fitting a Halo Pro front and rear dash ca
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Furnitureman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue
My “How to” on fitting a Halo Pro front and rear dash ca

I wanted to fit a front and rear dash cam with the ability to use the rear camera for helping when reversing to my trailers, after some research I choose the Halo Pro by Road Angel, I liked the way both cameras looked when fitted, the resolution is spot on and being able to view, download and share all Images via my phone were just a few of the plus points, I ordered the kit with the dedicated hardwire kit as the setting allow you to set the battery level where the camera switch off so It can be set to 12.4 which means the car will not end up with a dead battery, unfortunately the hardwire kit didn’t turn up 😡 so for the time being i have used the supplied cabling and routed the cable to the sockets at the rear of the centre arm rest.

This is the box with all the bits in, very impressive packaging holding both front and rear cameras, all the cabling, a trim tool and spare 3M adhesive pads plus a good instruction booklet.

Tools needed pictured below, a t30 screwdriver and a trim removal tool, also a metal coat hanger and some insulation tape

I decided to start with the hardest part fitting and running the wires to the rear camera.

First thing was to remove this trim at the top of tje upper tailgate, simply pull down from the glass side and it pops off

I then removed the drivers side trim from the upper tailgate, again carefully pulling down from the glass side

First thing was to position the camera, I chose a central location on about 3” from the lower trim, thus was critical as I needed the camera to also be able to view the towbar, more on this later
Click image to enlarge

I routed the wires into the lower trim then along to the exposed side of the upper tailgate, upto the top of the tailgate and I then pulled this wire conduit from the tailgate and car roof

Then I passed the wobbly end of the coat hanger through and wound the wire to the end and taped on, I did it this way to minimise stress on the cable

Once pulled through I re fitted the grommet ends of the conduit and then re fitted all
The upper tailgate trim, i then undid the screw behind the air bag cover on the rear speaker cover
Click image to enlarge

I then pulled the door seals off and undid the same screw on the middle and front pillar covers before feeding the cable into the void making sure I was on the right side of the air bags, I also undid and poped off the front A pillar cover
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once the wire was hidden I re fitted the covers and door seals, before Re fitting the front A pillar cover I routed the wire behind the air bag and up into the roof lining where it meets the windscreen and ran it just past the rear view mirror where I had fitted the main camera

I then connected all the cables together and to the main unit, then I ran the power cable along the front roof lining towards the passenger side A pillar cover I removed this and the passenger door seal and ran the cable along the roof and down the central door pillar towards the seat base where I brought it out ready to run to the rear seat power

I then run the cable under the rear mat and into the power socket, this is a temp solution until I get the hardwire kit

That’s it all fitted, when start the car it turns on automatically and if you choose you can view live images on your phone, it also has gps data, sound speed and more all these can be adjusted in settings,

As I mentioned at the beginning I wanted to also use the rear camera for helping when hitching upto a trailer, the soloution was to mark the two locations of the camera with white dots making re positioning the camera a doddle, to use the rear camera I just open the upper tailgate and move the camera to its second marked position

Then start the car, click on the halo app and choose rear camera and you have a live hi def video feed of the towbar (not fitted in the video)

I’m chuffed to bits with the quality, I was concerned about affecting the DAB reception but can confirm it does not affect anything at all and will be trying out the rear camera when I hitch the trailer on tomorrow, if I knew how to add videos I will showing how it works j

Hope this helps others

Craig 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8
2006 Discovery 3 HSE 260k miles and still going strong with a new owner

Post #600331 11th Jul 2021 7:11pm
Furnitureman

Well I can confirm it works a treat. Got to take your time but I’m chuffed to bits with it, it makes hitching up a doddle, the pictures make the tow ball look like it’s next to the bumper but there is a gap of four inches so enough to play with

2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8

Post #600376 12th Jul 2021 10:17am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

good job Craig, makes hitching up easier.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #600378 12th Jul 2021 10:21am
Furnitureman

It does Stan especially when moving over from a D3 where if you over run the hitch hits the massive towing eye, no such protection on the Full Fat 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8

Post #600379 12th Jul 2021 10:36am
Ajmngn

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

What an innovative solution to the towbar view - great job! Is there any lag between car moving and seeing on screen? Even if yes, I’m sure it’s easily overcome with a little-by-little approach when reversing on. I’m just curious. Also, did you test the towbar view with the camera mounted high on the rear window, which would be my preferred location? If it can’t see the towbar then I totally see the logic for mounting lower down, unless that was your personal preference anyway. Andy

2010 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE in Santorini Black with Ivory interior
2017 Audi SQ5 3.0 V6T Quattro in Volcano Red
2001 Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI manual with low-range in Highland Green. Currently SORN whilst undergoing some serious restoration!

Post #632876 25th May 2022 4:22pm
Furnitureman

I don’t think if it’s mounted high up it will see the towbar, as for lag there is a tiny amount but if you take your time it’s fine 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8

Post #632878 25th May 2022 4:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1