Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Replaced front air struts, now not filling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

northernmonkeyjones wrote:
Compressor fuse?

Checked both fuses for the air suspension, nrmal size one in glovebox and a chunky 50A one in rear RH cubby hole by the air susp relay. Both fuses ok

Post #491675 10th Oct 2018 8:19am
mrblonde

fisha wrote:
OK,

thinking back to my 2002 RR ... when I had EAS errors, I had to read and clear the errors from the EAS ECU and the headlight ECU as well.

The headlight ECU would log errors from other components of the car. On start up, even though you had cleared the EAS errors, the headlight will report the logged fault, so the EAS became inactive and an error put on the dash.

So make sure you clear ALL the errors from ALL the systems. IIRC when they clear, the compressor should start running immediately.

I will try this later fisha, I only have a cheap iCarsoft reader here but will give it a go with that (it does let me read and clear olf faults I used to get like 'pressure static when filling' etc, so ill read and clear everything I can and report back)

Post #491677 10th Oct 2018 8:21am
mrblonde

Joe90 wrote:
Ah, just re-read - refurbished air compressor....refurbished what?

Sounds like this is the problem as UK Marine indicated in his earlier post

See if you can get this to run with leads from a battery, off the car

Also worth checking all the electrics on the compressor

Hi Joe

There is 12v going to the compressor when the car is on (at the white connector block in spare wheel well), or do you mean check the electrics actually inside the black turtle shell? Embarassed

When I say I refurbished it, I replaced piston ring, o-ring and the drying granules as per the popular video on YouTube

Post #491678 10th Oct 2018 8:25am
mrblonde

fisha wrote:
OK,

thinking back to my 2002 RR ... when I had EAS errors, I had to read and clear the errors from the EAS ECU and the headlight ECU as well.

The headlight ECU would log errors from other components of the car. On start up, even though you had cleared the EAS errors, the headlight will report the logged fault, so the EAS became inactive and an error put on the dash.

So make sure you clear ALL the errors from ALL the systems. IIRC when they clear, the compressor should start running immediately.

Done a scan with my iCarsoft reader and cleared DTC's from everytihng I could....

1 thing I noticed was a 'CAN bus fault' on my air suspension, never seen it before. When I cleared the fault, as soon as i hit 'OK' t oclear it, it sounded like the compressor (or something in the boot) start buzzing for maybe 3 or 4 seconds, then stop again. The the fault re-appeared, 'CAN bus fault'

Any significance?

Post #491698 10th Oct 2018 11:17am
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It sounds like your reader knows there's a problem but doesn't know what the DTC is. The buzzing sounds like the compressor. What you need to do is get another person to clear the code while you are at the compressor end....

A short buzz like that points to either an obstruction or an unconnected hose. Can you confirm which type of compressor you have? Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Last edited by DMRR on 10th Oct 2018 11:28am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #491700 10th Oct 2018 11:24am
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Have you checked your ride height sensors to see if you’ve disturbed a connector while changing over the struts?

Ride height sensors can also be damaged when you swap the struts over as they become over extended when you allow them to hang.

Also how is your tracking? Is your steering wheel central while the wheels are dead ahead.... ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #491701 10th Oct 2018 11:27am
mrblonde

DMRR wrote:
It sounds like your reader knows there's a problem but doesn't know what the DTC is. The buzzing sounds like the compressor. What you need to do is get another person to clear the code while you are at the compressor end....

A short buzz like that points to either an obstruction or an unconnected hose. Can you confirm which type of compressor you have?

Its a Wabco compressor (forgot to get a photo of it when it was stripped down, but am guessing its the standard Wabco one on all L322's?) I must say though, for a 15 year old car it was remarkably clean, as in almost brand new looking? I know its tucked safely away in the black turtle shell but still, I did expect a bit of dust.....

Id of thought an unconnected hose would of been a sudden loud rush of air for a second, or less?

Post #491713 10th Oct 2018 1:37pm
mrblonde

UK Marine wrote:
Have you checked your ride height sensors to see if you’ve disturbed a connector while changing over the struts?

Ride height sensors can also be damaged when you swap the struts over as they become over extended when you allow them to hang.

Also how is your tracking? Is your steering wheel central while the wheels are dead ahead....

Steering wheel bang on centre

We were very careful of the height sensors, didnt knowingly hit or knock them... Am guessing theres no way of checking them at present with the car on the deck. When my mate plugged in his diagnostic tool he did get a reading for all 4 sensors, were all something like -88, -89, -87, -89 so am guessing hes currently 89mm lower than she should be

Post #491714 10th Oct 2018 1:39pm
DMRR

You have to remember that the compressor expects to be filling a pressurised tank - if there is no resistance it will think there is a fault and cut power. Same issue if the 'exhaust' is blocked. Also .. sadly ... if the piston ring is doing zip - it will detect a no-fill situation and cut power. Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #491715 10th Oct 2018 1:41pm
mrblonde

DMRR

Do you mean if the gold exhaust sintered filter is blocked? Checked that on the compressor as read another thread on here where it was the culprit

I've ordered a new compressor unit to fit into the casing so as soon as that arrives ill fit it, clear any alarms again and hope.... im guessing it should just begin filling once its happy with everything?

Post #491716 10th Oct 2018 1:48pm
DMRR

Yes, that's the one. Fingers crossed. My advice is to leave the turtle shell and spare out for a few days after fitting for any fettling that may be required Smile

My first replacement would not vent (even with no exhaust silencer) - so I had 2 days of WTF is wrong again!?! Tore it all down and then thought it might be wise to ask for a replacement Smile Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #491717 10th Oct 2018 1:58pm
Noeld5

Ireland 2005 Range Rover HSE Td6 Santorini Black

mrblonde wrote:
DMRR

Do you mean if the gold exhaust sintered filter is blocked? Checked that on the compressor as read another thread on here where it was the culprit

I've ordered a new compressor unit to fit into the casing so as soon as that arrives ill fit it, clear any alarms again and hope.... im guessing it should just begin filling once its happy with everything?

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this, I'm having exact same issue?

Post #606413 14th Sep 2021 5:21pm
jagracer

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

THats interesting. I thought one had to reset the steering angle, turn steering lock to lock. Should be able to check on the Icarsoft unit.

Post #606419 14th Sep 2021 7:22pm
littlecub

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green

I had exact problem.
New compressor fixed it.
island-4x4.co.uk where I got mine from.

Post #606427 14th Sep 2021 8:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12