Home > Technical (L322) > Warm/hot starting issue and fuel filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RupertRR

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green
Warm/hot starting issue and fuel filter

Good evening, comrades.

I have a 2002 L322 with the BMW M62 petrol engine and LPG.

I had a warm/hot starting issue earlier in the year where the engine would turn over and over before finally firing up reluctantly and then it settled down and ran properly.

One of the checks I did was fuel pressure and it was rather low.

After a lot of reading up on this forum I changed the fuel filter suspecting that the fuel pressure regulator within may be faulty even though the filter was only three months old. The new filter immediately cured the problem and we were back to instant starts with no hesitation. The fuel pressure was back up almost to that which is specified (I put the 4psi drop down to the old age of the pump).

Everything was great until three weeks ago the same problem cropped up again. I got a new filter - a Bosch this time - and the problem immediately went away again. This is now my third fuel filter in 10 months and about 3000 miles. The two previous filters were what appear to be generic cheap ones which is why I've gone for the hopefully much better Bosch this time. Have I just been unlucky in having two duff and short lived filters or can anyone suggest anything more sinister at work that I should be checking before I have the same problem again.

As a side issue I would like to thank all those who contributed to the posts I originally researched to help me identify the filter issue as the cause of my problem originally. It had defeated two garages who both suggested it was an LPG issue. The collective wisdom on this forum saved me a lot of money.

Thank you all.

Post #607523 27th Sep 2021 5:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1