Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

thats a different circumstance,

this chap was drunk in charge of his car.

he was six times over the limit and then chose to drive his car.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #608317 5th Oct 2021 12:22pm
Bean19844

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:
Bean19844 wrote:
About time this started happening. I've always said if you want too stop drink drivers mobile phone offences, drug offences etc hit them where it hurts.

and people that exceed the speed limit, have incorrectly spaced digits on their numberplate as well?

As current guidelines that allows a certain degree of allowance with peoples speedometer as they are not calibrated like certain vehicles

Quote:

2 year disqual and the car crushed regardless of its on finance, not legally yours rental car etc.

So you have your car in the garage for some work, the mechanic takes it out on road test and unfortunately he's over the limit from the night before, would it justified to crush your car?

Would you go out and drive the next morning if you done a whole bottle of glenfiddich straight? If anyone thinks that's safe then they need re educating. I'll happily drink a bottle of glenfiddich but given my job is driving a 44 ton lorry or a paramedic, I always make sure I don't drink 24 hours prior to any work as it's simply not worth risking it as we are tested monthly for drugs and alcohol

If you do that then once again that's the person's own problem but if that was too happen then you'd also be reclaiming your money back for the cars value

Post #608323 5th Oct 2021 12:47pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

stan wrote:

he was six times over the limit and then chose to drive his car..

The car belongs to a finance company, it remains their property until paid for. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Last edited by AJGalaxy2012 on 5th Oct 2021 3:00pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #608340 5th Oct 2021 2:51pm
AJGalaxy2012

stan wrote:

he was six times over the limit and then chose to drive his car..

I don't condone drink / drive in any way shape or form, me, I'm teetotal, don't drink, never have. I only challenged your view of crushing the car that didn't belong to him. BMW i3 Electric Car

Last edited by AJGalaxy2012 on 5th Oct 2021 3:02pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #608341 5th Oct 2021 2:54pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

^ needs an edit John. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #608342 5th Oct 2021 2:55pm
Bean19844

Ajgalaxy

I completely get your point about the whole ownership of the car with the finance company. How would the finance company loose out? If you loose your car because it gets crushed that's your own doing as you've taken that risk through drink driving etc.

Can't exactly say to the finance company

Yea hi I ain't paying you as I got smashed on booze n now I've had my car crushed.

All they care about is getting their money. They don't give a hoot what you do with the car. They couldn't care less if the care was written off a week after and insurance said here's £80k of the £100k. Finance company still want the extra £20k shortfall.

For me coming down hard on the public is a better deterrent then a slap on the wrist.

Post #608345 5th Oct 2021 3:09pm
AJGalaxy2012

Bean19844 wrote:
I completely get your point about the whole ownership of the car with the finance company. How would the finance company loose out?

Buyer defaults on payments, finance company go for repossession.

Quote:

If you loose your car because it gets crushed that's your own doing as you've taken that risk through drink driving etc.

He deserves to lose the car for sure but it seems wrong on so many levels - pollution, finance co et etc. take it away, sell it on / auction both better than crushing.

Quote:

Can't exactly say to the finance company
Yea hi I ain't paying you as I got smashed on booze n now I've had my car crushed.

All they care about is getting their money. They don't give a hoot what you do with the car. They couldn't care less if the care was written off a week after and insurance said here's £80k of the £100k. Finance company still want the extra £20k shortfall.

I agree but nothing is gained by crushing it. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #608388 5th Oct 2021 7:55pm
Bean19844

Maybe nothing is gained by crushing it but it puts people on edge and will make them think its simply not worth taking that chance.

Selling it on etc is all well and good but who's gonna make any money?

Can't sell the car for £60k when there's £80k finance outstanding so auctioning it off ain't going too work.

Buyer may well default but it will still be under their name. If the finance people need too they will just stick a possession order on the house if they can. If they can't, said person won't ever get finance again when they've stung a company for £80k.

If it was you and you had a few drinks tonight, would it put you off enough if you thought, if I'm over the limit tomorrow I'll potentially have my car crushed by tomorrow afternoon.

Mine might be an 06 plate range but even that thought would be more of a deterrent to not even go anywhere near that chance

Post #608400 5th Oct 2021 8:25pm
AJGalaxy2012

Bean19844 wrote:
Maybe nothing is gained by crushing it but it puts people on edge and will make them think its simply not worth taking that chance.

People that risk drinking and driving dont think about anything, theyre prepared to risk their lives, the value of a car wont figure in it at all.

Quote:

Selling it on etc is all well and good but who's gonna make any money?

In this scenario if the police are crushing it, sell it at auction and the police take the money.

Quote:

Can't sell the car for £60k when there's £80k finance outstanding so auctioning it off ain't going too work.

If you have the authority to crush it, you must be able to sell it by the same token surely?

Quote:

Buyer may well default but it will still be under their name. If the finance people need too they will just stick a possession order on the house if they can. If they can't, said person won't ever get finance again when they've stung a company for £80k.

I still feel this is wrong from the finance companies point of view, I understand your stance though.

Quote:

If it was you and you had a few drinks tonight, would it put you off enough if you thought, if I'm over the limit tomorrow I'll potentially have my car crushed by tomorrow afternoon.

It wouldnt be me, I'm teetotal, I wouldnt risk it anyway. Even with some medications (c-codomol for example) I avoid driving just in case.
In aviation the rule is simple NO ALCOHOL no grey area, completely black and white, that in my opinion should also apply to driving. Alcohol impairs your ability to drive, accidents happen with sober people, the situation can only be worse, it's simple really, no drink and drive at all. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #608418 6th Oct 2021 4:49am
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

The drink driver in the case in the original post had it coming, his financial loss is nothing compared to the loss of a life, another incident that lead to a fatality, and serious injuries has been reported in the daily mail, the driver has been jailed for 5 years. If you think you are safe from drink drivers whilst riding in a RR, then read the article and think again.

To me the driver in this case should have been on manslaughter charges and banned from driving for life. Censored

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1...ailed.html

Post #608460 6th Oct 2021 12:40pm
AJGalaxy2012

Aye, totally agree with you on this one. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #608461 6th Oct 2021 12:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12