Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Driver’s Door Window/Mirror Switch Panel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RR2B

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue
Driver’s Door Window/Mirror Switch Panel

The finish on the switch panel on my driver’s door has become soft and sticky. Not sure if it was originally a rubberised finish that has softened over the years? Any advice on refurbishment or replacement? I’ll be removing the door card to replace the door release cable next week, so might as well tackle this panel at the same time. Thanks in advance for any advice. 2011MY 4.4TDV8 Autobiography Baltic Blue
TVR Griffith
Alfa Romeo Mito QV

Post #609697 19th Oct 2021 10:58am
RogueRanger

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Over two years later, here’s me searching the forum to find out where to buy plastic covers for these unsightly switch panels. The answer’s right here. Nowhere.

It’s the first thing I noticed when I test drove the car I bought in December. Despite being very minor wear in my case, it spoils an otherwise pristine cabin. Every L322 I’ve seen since has wear on these panels yet it seems to be the only thing you can’t get a cover for.

I’m going to guess you painted yours? What a faff. Some stick-on ABS covers would do the job nicely and I wouldn’t have thought they would be costly to produce.

Looking at all the unnecessary after market offerings, this seems to be a market opportunity missed.

For reference, here’s a replacement OEM switch panel currently for sale on eBay for £75 with wear clearly evident:

Click image to enlarge

[/img] Des

2005 (2006 MY) L322 4.2sc Java Black, 2010 facelift conversion
1965 Lenham Lemans GT 1310 , Gulf Racing blue, FIA spec and road legal
2018 F56 Mini JCW, Thunder Grey/Black, Mulgari St2 tuned, FMIC, short shifter and Eibach springs

Post #687119 4th Mar 2024 9:25am
RR2B

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

I've left mine as is for the time being. By coincidence I have an old radio with a similar finish that was degrading. A rub with a cloth dabbed in meths brought it down to the smooth plastic, might try this on the switch cover. 2011MY 4.4TDV8 Autobiography Baltic Blue
TVR Griffith
Alfa Romeo Mito QV

Post #687122 4th Mar 2024 9:35am
goldeneye32

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Firenze Red

Fellars,
I don't have access to one of these, but what you are looking for someone who has a 3d scanner, take it off, get them to scan it, and then upload the stl file (3d cad file) to any site (example below) and they will give you a price there and then (you can select different materials, but SLA is close to ABS) when i get time I was toying with getting my own 3d printer, so that I can print off (from Inventor or Solidworks) any bits and pieces for my cars, as the window lift escutcheon on my L405 has a similar issue.

https://www.hubs.com/3d-printing/

G.

Post #687146 4th Mar 2024 12:31pm
RogueRanger

RR2B wrote:
I've left mine as is for the time being. By coincidence I have an old radio with a similar finish that was degrading. A rub with a cloth dabbed in meths brought it down to the smooth plastic, might try this on the switch cover.

I’ve done that on it steering wheel spokes (black metal underneath the rubber coating) and the storage cup which sits in the drinks holder in front of the centre cubby. I’m toying with plasti dip for that but a decent polish might do it. Then it would match the window switch surrounds.

Let me know how you get on?

Thanks! Des

2018 F56 Mini JCW, Thunder Grey/Black, Mulgari St2 tuned, FMIC, short shifter and Eibach springs

Post #687153 4th Mar 2024 1:18pm
RogueRanger

goldeneye32 wrote:
Fellars,
I don't have access to one of these, but what you are looking for someone who has a 3d scanner, take it off, get them to scan it, and then upload the stl file (3d cad file) to any site (example below) and they will give you a price there and then (you can select different materials, but SLA is close to ABS) when i get time I was toying with getting my own 3d printer, so that I can print off (from Inventor or Solidworks) any bits and pieces for my cars, as the window lift escutcheon on my L405 has a similar issue.

https://www.hubs.com/3d-printing/

G.

This is a very interesting option. Can a 3D printer get to a piano black finish? Des

Post #687154 4th Mar 2024 1:19pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

Hi, This used to be an Italian car thing, nobody seemed to learn anything from that and now a lot of cars starting to suffer from it. Just search for sticky FIAT dash.

I've not suffered it on my fatty but when I was into FIATs & Alphas the trick was to remove it using Meths, white spirit won't touch it, or cellulose thinners if you have it.

Once it's all off, and you have to get all of it off, you can use a suitable matt finish aerosol, (gloss looks tacky believe me), satin black or dark grey looks in keeping. Alternatively you can go for something called Plasti Dip, but although it worked for me once, the other times I've used it it didn't last long so I can't recommend it.

Another thing that does work well, and it's what I generally use, but you have to have the patience of a saint to get the finish right using a light sponge is leather paint believe it or not. It's quite hardwearing and gives a satin look with a rubbery feel to it, but it's not hardwearing enough to use on the switch faces themselves.

Andy Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #687167 4th Mar 2024 2:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1