Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > No service menu? Can't see TPMS air pressure levels.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
cxdood

United States 2016 Range Rover HSE 3.0 SC V6 Santorini Black
No service menu? Can't see TPMS air pressure levels.

I have seen a youtube video demonstrating going to a Service Menu and showing the current air pressure in each tyre. But in my 2016 L405 I don't see a service menu. Could it be because of USA vs UK differences in the software configuration? My car is a US model. For normal use when there are no problems I would still like it to show me the pressure for each tyre, but I am not sure if that is possible on my car.

I just got winter tyres on now with a new set of wheels and new TPMS sensors (443 MHz). Now I got a yellow TPMS warning saying there is a fault with the system. Maybe the car needs to just get used to the new sensors by driving for a while? This warning makes me even more interested in getting more info from the car about the TPMS system. I would like to see if the car could show me if it has air pressure levels from any of the 4 tyres or if there only is an issue with getting the data from some of the tyres. Is that possible without an IID tool?

Post #570858 25th Oct 2020 7:07am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

are you trying with ignition on and engine off? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #570859 25th Oct 2020 8:37am
cxdood

No, that's probably it. I'll try that, thanks.

Post #570917 25th Oct 2020 7:24pm
cxdood

I went to the menu with the ignition on and engine off and did get to the Service Menu. The bad news is that it does not show any air pressure values from any of the tyres. Only the recommended values are shown in parentheses.

TPMS sensors were ordered from eBay as new. They say Jaguar Land Rover on them and look original - but maybe they are fake or the wrong type or all of the TPMS batteries are dead? They were installed by an official dealer - I gave them the TPMS, tyres and wheels. Does part number LR070840 sound right for a 2016 L405?

From what I have read the car is supposed to automatically adapt to new sensors. Is that right? You just have to drive for a short amount of time. I have driven more than 30 miles with them at low and high speed since the install. Still get the yellow error.

Post #570952 26th Oct 2020 6:42am
Charles89

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Scotia Grey

Incorrect.

I had this same experience, and you would imagine a dealer would know this... Your sensors are in storage mode, and need to be woken up by a special machine that can take them out of storage mode into active. Driving the car does not activate sensors that are in hibernation.

Take it to a Tyre shop and get them to activate the sensors. The machine is a hand held device the size of an I pad mini, they have to hold the device up to the sensors read them, and then wright back a command to wake them up and activate them.

its so that during storage the batteries dont die. Very common with ebay bought items. I had this very same issue.

Although, one thing I do not have is the ability to see the live pressure in each Tyre, I only have the ability to reset for heavy or light load.

https://www.autelsale.co.uk/wholesale/aute...-tool.html

They are so handy that I bought one and now keep it in my tool box, rather than walking around checking pressures I just point it at the wheel and it gives me a health check, pressures, battery life, any error history etc.

I hope that helps

Post #570955 26th Oct 2020 7:58am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

that part number comes up on our UK ebay as working on 433mhz..

have you still got an ebay picture of yours to see if the mhz is visable...

edit...looks like its also 433mhz in the USA.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #570970 26th Oct 2020 10:22am
cxdood

stan, thanks for checking. The sensors are supposed to be 433 Mhz according to the listing for the sensors I bought.

Charles89 wrote:
Incorrect.

I had this same experience, and you would imagine a dealer would know this... Your sensors are in storage mode, and need to be woken up by a special machine that can take them out of storage mode into active. Driving the car does not activate sensors that are in hibernation.

I'll be relieved if that's the problem and it can be fixed by activating them that simply without taking off the wheels and tyresz and replacing the sensors.

Do you know if that model Autel device (401) can "wake up" new OEM Land Rover TPMS sensors? I could go to a tyre shop, but depending on how much they charge, maybe the price of buying the device is worth it to activate them for this current issue and also do diagnostics in the future. I now have a summer and winter set plus a full size spare.

From your profile it looks like your car is a 2014 - is that why it doesn't show live numbers in the car dashboard? Even though I should be able to see the pressure on the dashboard I can imagine that seeing the battery levels with that external TPMS tool might also give some more peace of mind?

I had the LR dealer install everything and brought my own tyres, TPMS, wheels to save a lot of money. But the TPMS was an unknown. If the sensors are defective they have to take the thing apart again - more time and money.

Update: I have ordered an Autel TPMS device. Once it arrives I'll try to use it to wake up the new TPMS sensors.

Post #571018 26th Oct 2020 7:15pm
cxdood

Update: I got the TPMS scan tool. All TPMS sensors report air pressure on the TPMS scan tool between low load and normal load (2.5 bar front, 2.7 and 2.8 bar rear). The spare tire shows 2.4 bar. I have driven the car for hours at different speeds. I still get the yellow warning message and light and still don't see any pressure readings in the Service Menu.

Next I'll try to set it to light load and go for a drive. I'm not sure what else to do. Could the problem be that the car is set for Normal Load yet the tire pressures are not up to those pressures? They are above Light Load though.

Post #571643 2nd Nov 2020 9:35pm
Charles89

Did you physically activate the sensors with the tool? Or just read the values? You do have to specifically activate them

Post #571647 2nd Nov 2020 9:45pm
cxdood

Charles do you remember how you activated them? I can scan all of them, but I don't see an option to explicitly "activate" a sensor. The manual is vague. When pressing "scan all" on the TPMS tool it shows me all of the tire pressure numbers for all of the tires. On each of them I can press the wave-button and the tool talks to the sensors again. They all have a green check-mark next to them on the tool.

Post #571675 3rd Nov 2020 3:23am
Charles89

Post #571676 3rd Nov 2020 6:55am
cxdood

Charles I have watched the videos you posted. In the first one he uses special Autel sensors. I have Land Rover ones.

The Autel scan tool shows me a green checkmark on the screen next to each wheel. From reading the Autel manual it says that "All sensors are activated" next to an image like that of green check marks next to the wheels. My best guess is that this means they are activated. It would be strange if there was the same checkmark for sensors that are not activated, no?

Post #571961 6th Nov 2020 4:26am
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Just as an FYI, if you have a bit of computer knowledge you can also read the sensors with some free Linux software and a very cheap "Digital TV" USB stick.

Hardware needed:
https://www.banggood.com/USB2_0-FM-DAB-DVB...53904.html

Info on the rtl_433 linux software needed to do this:

This is receive only, so it would not let you program or send any data to the TPMS, but it's maybe useful interesting to someone Smile

Post #571994 6th Nov 2020 3:05pm
cxdood

Update: The problem was that the sensors I bought were not were they said. Fakes from eBay. Lesson learned - be careful about parts from eBay. Car went back to the authorized dealer and the TPMS were changed to new OEM ones at great cost.

Post #609949 21st Oct 2021 6:33am
zenman63

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

I have the same problem as above, the guy sent me another set Foc, had them fitted £65 and it’s just the same.
I have the tool as well to read them and all that’s fine but in the cluster is 0 and the light just comes back on, nightmare!

Post #638089 28th Jul 2022 6:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>