Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > L322 and 285/45R22 tyres… yes they do fit!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ffrr-lover

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
L322 and 285/45R22 tyres… yes they do fit!

Hi all
I thought I’d post so others who have the question of if they fit! I searched before and despite those searches I never found an absolute “they fit” response.
There are many others running 275’s or 285’s with 40 profiles on 22” wheels, but after getting fed up of cracked rims on my 35 profile tyres I bit the bullet and went as big as I can without swapping for smaller alloys.
I have genuine overfinch wheels but am unsure of the offset… I think there is none on these but may be wrong.

I am happy with the extra inch of tyre wall and the protection it brings. I just need to amend the tyre settings to correct the Speedo change…

Rear

Front

Excuse the dirty car… and the alloys in dire need of a refurb (it turns out they were coated… badly… before I purchased the car)

Do they rub?
No, except for where my wheel arch liner isn’t secured properly at the front (yet another job on the list). I’ve tested lock to lock at normal height and in access mode. Not tried on the bump stops… not that I ever use the car like that!

How is the handling?
It’s nice not having to weave up the road to avoid bumps, holes, or other imperfections! The ride is less harsh overall as expected.
The handling is slightly affected as you would expect, but not enough to be a problem. However I do also wonder how much that is down to the budget tyres I’ve used? I read reviews of these tyres and others have commented on the tyre wall strength, and intend to go for Pirelli’s next time round.

It may be in my head, but I do feel the car does accelerate a bit more quickly! I get that the wheels are bigger, but the difference seems noticeable!

I’m happy sticking with this tyre size, but would prefer a better brand of tyre. It’s too close to Christmas to be spending big £££ and they were a cracking deal! Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2014 Audi Q7 3.0d (good riddance)
2010 L322 Autobiography 5.0 Supercharged
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2014 Jaguar XF-RS 5.0 supercharged
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic59478.html

Post #613304 21st Nov 2021 2:29pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Wonder if they'll fit an L405? I'll be needing a couple of tyres soon. Geoff

Post #613311 21st Nov 2021 4:29pm
Ffrr-lover

I’m not able to give any answers to that question, however I note you say “a couple” of tyres.
The general advice on these forums is to not deviate in sizes on axels due to it causing problems. Those posts suggest mechanical issues however I am unable to understand how it would cause a problems as the diffs are designed to operate wheels at different speeds… however I am not mechanic so am prepared to be educated there!
I do however get that the ECU etc may get confused with the fronts and rear wheels continuously rotating at slightly different speeds…

This is one of the reasons why I went for budget rather than the preferred Pirelli’s for this tyre size change. Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

Post #613337 21st Nov 2021 6:28pm
Barmybrummie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Ffrr-lover what make budget tyre did you go for? In the post on my overfinch page you said you are still getting lots of road noise with the new tyres. And do you prefer the 45's over the 35's? I must admit, I actually like the hankook ventus sport on mine running on 35's though touch wood, I've not had any cracked rims and I've been over some right teeth shattering pot holes on country lanes by my office near Bristol. Road noise is rather quiet, handling is excellent in the dry and the wet. Just out of curiosity, what tyre pressures front and rear are you running on? I've got an overfinch tyre pressure sticker on the inside of drivers door on mine with the same tyre size as yours.

Post #613714 24th Nov 2021 7:45pm
Ffrr-lover

Quote:
what make budget tyre did you go for?

I went for 4 x ACCELERA ST68 tyres at around £100 a pop from eBay.
In fact here’s the link… https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-285-45R22-1...635-2958-0

They are C rated for fuel and wet grip, and apparently 68dB for noise. Reviews I read were mostly positive, with only a few mentioning that they didn’t like how they handled, however they were different tyre sizes.

Quote:
you said you are still getting lots of road noise with the new tyres

Absolutely. The noise I’m getting isn’t too different to before, and after reading the posts on the “My L322 Project” by Caesium I did wonder if it was something else like he has been describing. However, I had to travel to and from Peterborough yesterday with the new tyres and there is a variety of road surfaces which changes the noise I am hearing. On the newest stretches of patched road the noise drops significantly! I begin to hear it from 20mph, is really noticeable from 40mph and on average I am getting just under 70dB at 50mph according to my iPhone.

I am still missing the underbody shields which may be a factor, and also need to drop the front wheel arch liners to check for the sound dampening sheets, and also research where these cars normally have other sound dampening sheets and inserts as I may be missing others too.

The noise from other cars passing are barely noticeable which suggests the sounds are not getting through the doors… Its hard to locate but does seem to be coming from under the car.

I need a lot more time to spend investigating this, but need to sort my pulleys, brakes and gearbox first, as well as a general fluid change all around.

Quote:
do you prefer the 45's over the 35's?

Absolutely. The ride has improved and is less tiring (no pun!) as I am not watching the road surface to avoid all of the imperfections.
I believe the 40’s would also be a big improvement over the 35’s. There is a difference in handling but that could simply be the make of tyre I have gone for. To be fair though I have had no issues whatsoever…

Quote:
I've not had any cracked rims

I envy you! Laughing
It is possible my alloys are weaker due to the previous owner, or I may have been unlucky. It has happened a few times and with different tyres… Pirelli’s and Hankooks included…

Quote:
what tyre pressures front and rear are you running on? I've got an overfinch tyre pressure sticker on the inside of drivers door on mine with the same tyre size as yours.

On my 35’s I tried various pressures from 33psi to 50psi with no real change in noise. I settled for around 38psi on the tyres in the end.
For these new tyres… I don’t know. I’ve not checked them since they were fitted as I don’t know what they should be. I have had a google and found this site that calculates your tyre pressures from the standard ones on your car.
https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/
This suggests I should be running 28psi at the fronts, and 31psi at the rears? That seems low to me, but will try it to see how they look.
I don’t have an Overfinch sticker on my car. What is their recommended pressures? And do you run at those pressures? Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

Post #613942 27th Nov 2021 9:48am
Barmybrummie

Your pressures do seem to be really low especially running a 2.7 ton beast. The sticker below shows what overfinch state the pressures I should run at. When I had my hankooks fitted they inflated them to 36 all round which did make a bit more road noise, so I adjusted mine to the what overfinch say and noticed the difference so I do keep them at those pressures. I've done 2k miles on mine and all corners are wearing true and straight at the moment. Just another point, when you got the certificate from overfinch did it say on there that your wheels was fitted at the same time as the rest of the conversion? I only ask as the wheels maybe have been bought from the likes of eBay and not had the wheels calibrated for the 22's.
Considering your tyre sizes was the same as mine although you are now running 45"s it may be worth running the overfinch pressures but maybe 2psi above to accommodate your 45"s.

Post #613955 27th Nov 2021 11:41am
Barmybrummie

And with mine running 35's I really have no problem with noise or handling. Like you, the sound does alter when on different road surfaces but not significantly. I will try the 45's when I change but that's not going to be for a fair few years yet unless I get bad luck and ruin them before then.

Post #613956 27th Nov 2021 11:46am
Ffrr-lover

I checked yesterday and they were at around 33-34 already from when fitted. I also dropped the pressures (before seeing your posts), and will run them at the lower pressures for a few days to see how they are.

I still haven’t organised the certificate yet. Its £50 which right now I’d rather spend on the important and more urgent fixes the car needs. It’s definitely on the list of things to do tho!

You mention calibrating the wheels for the 22”s… do you mean via the IID tool? That has been done. Or do you mean something else? Currently driving: 2012 L322 SE Overfinch 4.4 tdv8

Past rides:
2011 L320 HSE 3.0 sdv6
2007 BMW 535D
2005 Mini Cooper S

Post #613997 28th Nov 2021 9:26am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

for the record, I drove my 2002 model for years, on a set of overfinch 9.5 inch (sport?) 20'' tiger rims, on 285 50 20's. with no issues... and, using a speedo app on a phone, it was somehow, accurate at 70mph!

Post #614038 28th Nov 2021 4:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1