Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > My opinion on my 1st week of having my L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chrali

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
My opinion on my 1st week of having my L322

I've had my L322 delivery back to me after it being away for a few weeks. Happily it now starts on the button and can spend a few days without use without the battery going flat, so all good on that front.

The first couple of drives were pretty terrifying, it felt sooo wobbly and the steering felt waaaaaaay too light, so light inputs felt like I was wobbling all over the road. At the weekend I had to run into Norwich, so was able to let the L322 off the leash on the A47 and NDR dual carriageway. Now I'm not so heavy handed with the steering so I'm much happier now, even on the 19 inch wheels. It even reported an average of 29.4 mpg which is amazing.

I'd been without a SUV since selling my 06 Mercedes GL420CI last year. I absolutely loved that car and in many ways I preferred it to the 06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S that it itself had replaced. In a lot of ways I still prefer the GL over my L322 especially exterior looks. I think I expected my L322 to be a night and day 'better' than my GL and whilst there's a more luxurious design inside the L322, I never got out of my GL thinking how crap it was; well except for the prehistoric lcd display on the dash.

I chose the L322 for its availability, its 30mpg combined, its luxury and its split tailgate; to tip the reluctant hound into the boot and its lack of a power tailgate. My dog hated the GL as the load area was too big for him and the massive powered tailgate was a pita as he'd try to leap out as it was closing, so it would open up again.

Comfort is very smooth as is performance, but I'll be honest I was a little disappointed performance wise. 70 mpg felt like 30 which is lovely, but I was expected more of a kick in the back on accelerating. I used the paddles for a while which worked ok, and those brembo brakes still need to work damn hard to slow this beast down as roundabouts are not its friend.

Yes I could have got a supercharged L322, but didn't want the thirst and on balance mpg is more important for this vehicle, which I bought as a compromise to fit a several requirements.

Oh yes, my Cayenne and GL fitted in my single garage as long as the mirrors were folded, but the L322 doesn't, at least not without an expensive 'mirror delete' option Laughing , so now I feel bad its in the elements instead. For the minimal folding the mirrors have I'm surprised LR bothered.

When I compare the specs of a Vogue to the higher trims levels ,the only option I originally desired is adaptive cruise; and will be looking to retrofit this at some point, but in real world usage on occasion I have felt the lack of the surround view cameras; probably because I know they exist Very Happy and do wonder if perhaps the vented seats are even comfier.

I even like the 19 wheels design (style 15?) and I am most definitely a convert to the heated steering wheel though!

So there we go, hopefully not offended anyone that I'm not an ardent L322 fan yet, but you never know perhaps I will become one. Encourage alternative fuels, use all the petrol!

Post #613606 23rd Nov 2021 11:40pm
JayGee

You just have to get used to working with the physics of 2.6+ tons. Having said that the acceleration on mine is nothing short of physics defying and even the brakes (when you need them) will pull you up pretty sharp if you stomp on them. Anticipation of the road ahead is everything - like me you will soon get used to 'riding' the L322 rather than driving it. 2012 TDV8 Vogue

Post #613658 24th Nov 2021 12:09pm
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

get used to 'riding' the L322 rather than driving it.

Oooooo Matron.....I do like the sound of that! Embarassed 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
Triumph Tiger 955i [gone]
BMW R1150GS
BMW Z4 3.0 Sterling Grey
Couple of Montesa's for good measure

Post #613750 25th Nov 2021 8:08am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I've always thought that the 6 piston Brembo brakes do a good job of stopping the Range Rover and have never once felt underwhelmed by them. I've only ever driven them when fitted with genuine discs and pads though.

I wonder if yours has cheap discs and pads in it rather then genuine ones?

Handling wise, the Range Rovers are actually far better then they feel. Yes they roll around but once you get used to that roll you will chicken out long before the car does in my experience.

Think you need to get a few more miles in it Smile

David. 1997 4.6 HSE - Oxford Blue with Ash Grey Leather
2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Freelander i6 HSE in Izmir Blue with Ebony Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #613784 25th Nov 2021 12:29pm
JayGee

Until I had a gearbox serviced I had the feeling that the gearbox was still driving the wheels when I took my foot off the accelerator and braked which made braking in the initial stage much less effective. 2012 TDV8 Vogue

Post #613788 25th Nov 2021 1:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1