Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > CV Boots - Nightmare!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ricardo Villa

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Bournville
CV Boots - Nightmare!

I did post a couple of weeks ago about problem with CV Boots replaced recently. Within a week of replacement they both popped of, retaining clips broke. New clips fitted but within a week same thing happened. Third time they removed the boots and fitted two flexi ones, fitted using air tool to get over joint. Now just a week or so later clip has broken on one and it looks like it’s split where clip was. I just cannot understand how a simple job is causing this much trouble.
Has anyone had similar? If so how was it resolved. Garage doing it is a well respected Indy, so it’s not a back street place if anyone wondered. I feel I’ve paid for the job and it’s still not resolved bu5 I know garage will ask what more can they do. Would like to have some reply!!
Thanks 2009 Range Rover Vogue 3.6TDV8, Bournville, Parchment/Navy
2005 Jaguar XJ350 3.0 V6 Sovereign, Jaguar Racing Green, Ivory
1997 TVR Chimaera 450, Formula Red, Grey

Post #615388 8th Dec 2021 7:41pm
Joe90

England 

My thermoplastic cv boot is still going strong after a couple of weeks, although not many miles. Some suggestions....

1. Ensure mating surface of cv joint and inside of the boot is clean and dry, no grease (at the big end)
2. There should be a ridge on the inside of the cv boot, and a groove on the cv joint mating surface? (there is on my Volvo, I do not have an L322 to hand...) Ensure these are aligned, and place the clip over this part.
3. Use the proper tool that depresses the nipple in the clip while it is `clipped`.
4. Get some quality, sturdy clips, some that come with the cv boots can be a bit lightweight and flimsy. I got these off eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262272460110
5. Add a jubilee clip on the drive shaft just after the boot clip, this will prevent the smaller end trying to slide towards the engine (it is almost impossible to get the small end grease free) if the big end comes loose. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #615429 9th Dec 2021 12:32am
Ricardo Villa

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Bournville

Thanks Joe, will speak to garage tomorrow and see what they can do, will relay on your tips. 2009 Range Rover Vogue 3.6TDV8, Bournville, Parchment/Navy
2005 Jaguar XJ350 3.0 V6 Sovereign, Jaguar Racing Green, Ivory
1997 TVR Chimaera 450, Formula Red, Grey

Post #615436 9th Dec 2021 1:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1