Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > L405 back to L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I haven't reached 405 state yet but I just dont sell them still have my classic and p38 and when I buy a 405 will keep the 322 so no decision to make Smile

Post #613366 21st Nov 2021 9:57pm
Davlyn

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Interesting debate.

I cannot disagree that the L405 is a better car in so many ways over the L322. Technologically, drive ability, wading depths, angle approaches etc etc. I think the only thing I can put my reasoning for asking the original question down to is probably the fact that the L405 just feels to good!
Now you may laugh and think what a stupid point to make, but, the L322 just got abused and it seemed to love it. The back seats folded flat, you could put a decent roof rack on it, it seemed to tow better, it had proper switch gear, it just felt more like a RR with the ability to go to work as and when needed and not just a Chelsea tractor because lets be honest, not many of us make the most of the extra wading depth, departure angles etc etc but if like me you use your vehicles for lugging stuff about is just part of life. I have decided that the L405 is just going to have to be used and abused to the same level of the L322 did.

Why didn't I factor all this in before changing I hear you ask? Good question...

Post #613427 22nd Nov 2021 5:36pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

You can use a 405 for lugging stuff to the tip……

To be honest I use mine in the same way as I used my 322. Just make sure you have a good boot liner and seat covers and clean the interior regularly.

Post #613440 22nd Nov 2021 7:53pm
Davlyn

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

I had to do the same with mine a couple of weeks ago when we moved out of our house. The guys at the tip looked at me like I had lost my mind. I had the back seats down with an old Disco 4 boot mat covering the back of the seats. It was loaded to the gunnels.

Post #613463 22nd Nov 2021 9:35pm
Benfelrr

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green

Not quite what you are asking but I think it might be more of a dramatic step and I was still happy with it.

I went from a 3.6 TDV8 2007 L322 back to a 2001 4.6 Vogue P38. Everyone said I was mad to even consider it. The Land Rover dealer at the time was mortified and looked shocked. I was told it was a decision I would massively regret. I still did it and I do not to this day regret it.

Yes performance, handling and erm... fuel economy (not sure the word economy is even appropriate) are all very different level, but at the end of the day the roads are clogged so you cannot go that fast, all these Range Rovers are mega off road and even the P38 is a very comfy place to sit.

Also, prob not relevant to your consideration, but the maintenance and parts costs on the P38 and the tax are considerably cheaper which makes up for it's shortfalls elsewhere compared to the TDV8.

Good luck with whatever you choose. 2003 VW Golf V6 4motion
2001 Range Rover Vogue 4.6
1982 Range Rover in VOGUE
1990 Range Rover Vogue SE
2007 Audi A6 Avant Le Mans Quattro S-Line 3.0 TDI
2007 Skoda Ovtavia 2.0 TDI L&K
2007 GSX-R 750 K7

Post #613699 24th Nov 2021 6:21pm
Red Hot one

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

When I came to the choice L322 or L405 I did spend quite a while making lists of the pros and cons of both, test drove both and decided to buy a late L322 The main potential problem was the DPF, living in rural Herefordshire the nearest dual carriage way is about 45 minutes drive away, trying to get the regen cycle to finish was in my humble opinion not worth the hassle, so far not regretted it for a moment.

Post #613708 24th Nov 2021 7:29pm
Van Diesel

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Mariana Black

Is the 4.4 in the L405 completely new or a re kindled version from the L322?

Post #616054 12th Dec 2021 10:38pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

I wish I had both, along with a Classic and that I’d kept my last D4. As that’s not practical for me, the L405 was the ideal replacement vehicle for them all.

It gets used for off road and tip duties with a full Hatchbag liner along with the LR flexible mat. I often put sheets of cardboard down as well. Makes it easier to clean up after any damp/wet items have been in the boot.

The dog goes in a foldable fabric crate, which can fit on the back seats if the boot is full.

Works well but I do sometimes miss the load space of the D4.

Click image to enlarge

Post #616071 13th Dec 2021 1:22am
andy180

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I like the L405 and I agree it’s probably a better all round car to live with, however I do have some issues with it specifically:

*the head and tail lights that sweep into the body Evoque style feel very ‘normal car’ to me. It would look a lot better if they’d just squared the lights off. It reminded me of the old Saab 95 when they first launched it and still does to this day.
* the front end is too rounded, Mercedes with the new gen G-Class and Rolls Royce with their newer cars have been able to keep the square front ends, capture the essence of original cars and still comply with safety regs - why couldn’t Land Rover? I get that it’s for aerodynamics but it’s gone too far from the original Range Rover design language which carried across all previous generations.
*it’s missing some of the Land Rover construction quirks that you’d expect - exposed bolt heads etc.

Overall I don’t feel the L405 or the new L460 really capture the design essence of a Range Rover - the new Defender has been much more successful in that respect. Would I buy an L405, yes albeit not for the same reasons I bought my old L322. Now: BMW 640d M Sport, Alpine White
Gone: Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue, Zambezi Silver, Charcoal Oxford Leather
Also: Mk1 Audi TT 1.8T Quattro, Brilliant Black
[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #616568 16th Dec 2021 7:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12