Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Oil Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
luxmoggy

Germany 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Montalcino Red
Oil Change

A bit surprised at the local Land Rover Dealer. They seemed shocked that the RR wanted an oil change after 13,000KM. To me it is what I expected. I think it was because I had the yearly service in October and at the end of December it needed the oil change. I think they didn't check the oil was that close to asking for a change.

I am right in thinking that 13,000km is about right for the oil change. this is the second oil changed (13,000 and 27,000 Km) SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio
Kit: Jaguar XK140 (in progress - the website is link to build)

Post #619194 8th Jan 2022 1:48pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

The service schedule on the SDV8 is 16k miles or 12 months. If you had the service done in October and it's now asking for an oil change, they must not have reset the counter at the time.

But to answer your question, given 16k miles is about 26k kilometers, then yes, it is surprising. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #619217 8th Jan 2022 6:04pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

It will most probably be oil dilution, in the incontrol app you can see miles/km to the next service as it counts down.
Very doubtful these days that they forget to reset the service, anyway you can now easily confirm this in the incontrol app, by looking at miles/km's to the next service figure.

Its due to DPF regenerations and driving style ie Urban v Motorways an algorithm then predicts what your oil dilution is, and this alters the service countdown appropriately.

From WS manual

Quote:
Engine oil dilution can occur due to small amounts of fuel entering the engine crankcase during the post-injection
phases. This has made it necessary to introduce a calculation based on driving style to reduce oil service intervals if
necessary. The driver is alerted to the oil service by a message in the IC.
The DPF software monitors the driving style and the frequency of the active regeneration and duration. Using this
information a calculation can be made on the engine oil dilution. When the DPF software calculates the engine oil
dilution has reached a predetermined threshold (fuel being 7% of engine oil volume) a service message is displayed in
the IC.
Depending on driving style, some vehicles may require an oil service before the designated interval. If a service
message is displayed, the vehicle will be required have a full service and the service interval counter will be reset.

Passive Regeneration
Passive regeneration requires no special engine management intervention and occurs during normal engine
operation. The passive regeneration involves a slow conversion of the particulate matter deposited in the DPF into
carbon dioxide. This process occurs when the DPF temperature exceeds 250°C (482°F) and is a continuous process
when the vehicle is being driven at higher engine loads and speeds.
During passive regeneration, only a portion of the particulate matter is converted into carbon dioxide. This is because
the chemical reaction, which utilizes nitrogen dioxide, is slower than the rate of engine production of particulate matter
and is effective from 250°C (482°F).
Above 580°C (1076°F) the conversion efficiency of the particulates into carbon dioxide rapidly increases. These
temperatures are generally only being achieved using the active regeneration process.

Active Regeneration
Active regeneration starts when the particulate loading of the DPF reaches a threshold as monitored or determined by
the DPF control software. The threshold calculation is based on driving style, distance travelled and back pressure
signals from the differential pressure sensor.
Active regeneration generally occurs every 400 km (250 miles) although this is dependant on how the vehicle is
driven. For example, if the vehicle is driven at low loads in urban traffic regularly, active regeneration will occur more
often. This is due to the rapid build-up of particulates in the DPF than if the vehicle is driven at high speeds when
passive regeneration will have occurred.
The DPF software incorporates a mileage trigger which is used as back-up for active regeneration. If active
regeneration has not been initiated by a back pressure signal from the differential pressure sensor, regeneration is
requested based on distance travelled.
Active regeneration of the DPF is commenced when the temperature of the DPF is increased to the combustion
temperature of the particles. The DPF temperature is raised by increasing the exhaust gas temperature. This is
achieved by introducing post-injection of fuel after the pilot and main fuel injections have occurred.

SYSTEM OPERATION
DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER (DPF)
It is determined by the DPF software monitoring the signals from the two DPF temperature sensors to establish the
temperature of the DPF.
Depending on the DPF temperature, the DPF software requests the Engine Control Module (ECM) to perform either
one or two post-injections of fuel:
The first post-injection of fuel is associated with retarded combustion to increase the temperature of the exhaust
gas and therefore allow the oxidation catalyst to reach it's operational temperature.
The second post-injection of fuel is injected late in the power stroke cycle. The fuel is not intended to combust in
the cylinder, and hence unburnt fuel passes into the exhaust where it creates an exothermic event within the
catalytic converter, further increasing the temperature of the DPF.
The active regeneration process takes up to 20 minutes to complete. The first phase increases the exhaust gas
temperature to ensure the catalytic converter is active. The second phase further increases the DPF temperature to
the optimum temperature for particle combustion. This temperature is then controlled for 15-20 minutes to ensure
complete oxidation of the particles within the DPF. The oxidation process converts the carbon particles to carbon
dioxide.
The active regeneration temperature of the DPF is closely monitored by the DPF software to maintain a target
temperature at the DPF inlet. The temperature control ensures that the temperatures do not exceed the operational
limits of the turbocharger and the catalytic converter. The turbocharger inlet temperature must not exceed 830°C
(1526°F), the catalytic converter brick temperature must not exceed 800°C (1472°F) and the exit temperature must
remain below 875°C (1382°F).

I use an iPhone app and monitor each regeneration, for MY18 4.4 SDV8 I need to drive at 62-63mph to achieve passive regeneration temperature (above 250C). This is difficult when living in a rural or Urban location with no motorways on your frequent routes.
I also find that my Active Regenerations are ranging between every 100 to 140 mies which is twice less than the guide in the WS manual notes. I have been recording this data since end of September

Most of us do at least 2 oil changes per year anyway which makes sense and a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Ask your dealer to test the old oil anyway and report back on here, your results, it would be interesting what they find out. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #619222 8th Jan 2022 6:55pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Do you really think oil dilution in about 10 weeks since the last change? Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #619237 8th Jan 2022 10:40pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Its not the weeks, its the mileage and the driving style (Urban/rural v motorway Passive Regen) that is the factor.

So, 13000km is just over 8000 miles without a doubt I believe its oil dilution. In fact I would be delighted with that figure.

As an example:-
I bought mine from a dealer where it was serviced March 21, by August 21 (after it had only done 3837 miles) the car (Incontrol app & dash) indicated service was required.

Again the service started its count down from 16000 miles, and oil change was again done Dec 21 after only 3000 miles travelled, but did this was done a few hundred miles earlier as it suited me to do it a week or so earlier.
Today, the distance to next service is currently at 10833 miles (it was reading 16000 after Dec21 service) this is after only travelling 780 miles from the Dec21 service. Big Cry

As discussed earlier as I am not doing hardly any passive Regeneration, therefore my Active Regeneration is at a higher rate which is a factor in the algorithm = countdown is at a faster rate as there is more inferred dilution.

As I use an app to monitor and catch all the Active Regens (where previously I would never know it was happening), I am noticing that even if you have No missed regenerations, it does not make much difference to dilution rate. It obviously uses the number of completed Active Regenerations as a factor in the calculation for oil dilution.

There have been several threads on this subject in the past few months that are worth a read. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #619275 9th Jan 2022 11:42am
nbunney

United Kingdom 

What App are you using KOT?

And how does it talk to the car?

Post #619280 9th Jan 2022 12:03pm
luxmoggy

I am looking at the bill from the October Service. They didn't do a full oil change only a filter change. As they had changed the oil about 8,000km and 4 months before. This is were I think they made the mistake.

Next time I will see it I can sync the oil change and the service. Not to go twice.

The oil value was about 10%, which I think at the Service it would have been 6-7% which is where they should have changed it.

I knew about the servicing and the oil changes before I brought the car, but the garage did make me think I had it wrong. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Last edited by luxmoggy on 9th Jan 2022 1:26pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #619290 9th Jan 2022 1:02pm
luxmoggy

Service Dates:
First Service: 10km 11/10/2019
Purchase of Car: 11/08/2020

One Year Service: 5525km 28/10/2020
Oil Change: 13385km 08/06/2021

Second Year Service: 21814km 04/10/2021
Second Oil Change: 27343km 07/01/2022

Now I have written it down it all looks ok to me... SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #619293 9th Jan 2022 1:25pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

When the Dealer's do a service, they should do a oil filter and a oil change.

The dealer cant say "We did the oil change x km ago so it doesn't need changing" but then only change the oil filter!!!! thats just plain stupid.

If they didn't do an oil change in Oct 21, but only a oil filter change? this is very odd, and if you did have oil dilution (which I believe is a possibility)and the oil was not changed, but the service was then reset, then you could have been in a very bad position.

In future its best to plan your services/oil changes when the Incontrol remote app advises you, also the message will be on your dash every time you start up ( I think that starts to appear on your dash when there is under 2000 miles to run). If no messages then plan as per JLR recommended intervals x km (16000miles) or per year whatever comes first. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #619324 9th Jan 2022 5:04pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

nbunney wrote:
What App are you using KOT?

And how does it talk to the car?

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic60839.html 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #619326 9th Jan 2022 5:08pm
luxmoggy

I do follow the Incontrol App and in car notices for the services.

I am going to talk to the service manger as to why they didn’t change the oil with the October service. Might need help from a friend as his main language is French.

I will also set myself up to see about the ReGens. EBay here I come. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #619341 9th Jan 2022 5:58pm
luxmoggy

So I dropped the car in this morning. I returned to the garage this afternoon. They told me it is going to take longer to fix the car, as it is an electrical issue that caused the oil problem.

It was only as I left the garage did I realised that they still hadn't started on the car. Now that I am home I have opened the app and can see they are now working on the car.

I will be talking to the service manager when I pick up the car.

Happy to find out if it was an electrical issue that caused the oil service so quick. Only 2k this time. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio

Post #623679 14th Feb 2022 4:21pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Interesting

Ask them exactly what they did if it was firmware update for any module, get the full details of the revision number etc etc As this affects a few of us on here. Even better if they have something in writing, procedure etc etc.

Dont be fobbed of with "Its an electrical issue" and we fixed it with no explanation Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

If its a software update to increase the oil dilution limit, then for me, its not a fix, it of course would increase the time between services at the expense of having more dilution in the oil between services. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #623682 14th Feb 2022 4:51pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

So, first service was in 06/04/2020, at 4,588 kilometers (car bought in April 2019).
It included:
renewal of oil and oil filter
renewal of pollen filter.

Second was 26/02/2021 at 16,220 kilometers

details:
renewal of oil and oil filter
renewal of pollen filter

I'm now told by the car that service is required in 700km (it has 26000km), but the service guys said I have oil dilution (it's a PHEV!) and I have to go tomorrow... The check engine light was displayed last week and they cancelled it while saying oil change is urgent...

Third service also requires ATF oil change at 65GBP/liter!!! 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #623688 14th Feb 2022 5:57pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Adara
Has your oil level increased?

Petrol engines also can suffer oil dilution, and now with the new E10 fuel, more ethanol can accelerate liner/ ring oil wash.

A good read https://oil-synthetic.com/2017/02/22/fuel-...an-engine/ 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #623698 14th Feb 2022 7:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>