Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Parking sensor fault.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
G3BML

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black
Parking sensor fault.

Hi chaps wondering if you can help with a fault I’m having with my 2010 4.4 tdv8 parking sensors. When I select reverse, I got the long continuous bleep and parking sensor button light flashing. Both front and rear sensors not working. Checked the control unit and found a tiny bit of corrosion on the pins but nothing excessive. Cleaned the connectors and hoping for an easy fix, I bought a new control unit from Land Rover but still have the fault. Seen on here that you can listen for a clicking coming from the sensors to identify which ones are working but none of mine are making a clicking noise. Can anyone advise where to go from here? Assume I have a broken wire somewhere?

Post #619005 6th Jan 2022 4:43pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

I have the exact same issue. My GAP IID tool sometimes tells me it's lost communication with the PAM but has now stopped even doing this and never indicated what sensors are not working. Replaced the PAM with a new one as the old one had water damage and at least now the button lights and bleeps indicating a fault. I was going to pull off the rear bumper to test the sensor wires but couldn't be arsed and wasn't convinced this was the fault. On the later cars ultrasonic clicks are silent so I tried a bat detector and this didn't pick anything up either. In the end I've left it as the rear camera is good enough for reverse parking and I can judge pretty well the front distance. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #619006 6th Jan 2022 4:59pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Normally it will be sensor that has failed, or a wire broken.
Start the RR up and have a listen for the tick tick tick sound the sensors make, the one that's not will be the one to pull out and have a look, and I bet its the inboard sensor which is a pain to get out.
I thought it was a sensor as 99% of the time it will be as on mine the other day.....so bought a new one.
While waiting for it to arrive I was going to swap a front sensor and put it in place of the failed one at the rear........only to find a broken wire. Rolling Eyes
Soldered it up and, yes you guessed it.......tick tick tick.....
Embarassed If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #619022 6th Jan 2022 7:47pm
JayGee

Facelift cars have silent sensors that don’t tick. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #619024 6th Jan 2022 7:50pm
bishbosh10

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately if you have replaced the module and still have the fault you will have to go back to basics and test everything from the incoming 12v supply to the continuity of the looms and the resistances of the sensors. I did a brief write up of my parking sensor adventure that should turn up from a quick search Smile Bish.

2005 110 TD5 CSW
2011 TDV8 Vogue SE (gone)

Post #619051 6th Jan 2022 9:54pm
IanBoxgrove

United Kingdom 
Re: Parking sensor fault.

G3BML wrote:
Hi chaps wondering if you can help with a fault I’m having with my 2010 4.4 tdv8 parking sensors. When I select reverse, I got the long continuous bleep and parking sensor button light flashing. Both front and rear sensors not working. Checked the control unit and found a tiny bit of corrosion on the pins but nothing excessive. Cleaned the connectors and hoping for an easy fix, I bought a new control unit from Land Rover but still have the fault. Seen on here that you can listen for a clicking coming from the sensors to identify which ones are working but none of mine are making a clicking noise. Can anyone advise where to go from here? Assume I have a broken wire somewhere?

I had exactly the same!
When I was fitting the tow bar I had to take the bumper cover off and so checked the wiring etc. Nothing I could see was wrong.
Out of chance i read somewhere that suspension calibration, when out gives this symptom.
No DTCs on the IIDTool, so no help there.
As the MoT had to have a new roll bar link fitted because of a split rubber cover, and no mention made of suspension calibration done afterwards, I thought I would plug the IIDTool in and see if the calibration was out.
It was, so I went through the procedure and put everything back to 'normal' heights, front and back. After a lot of in car out of car and measuring with the tape measure, I was satisfied everything was now as it should be.
The test, put the car into reverse and a single check beep and no continuous tone! Reverse up to the wall and hey ho beep beep as it should, continuous at 9" from the wall.

So that was the problem, the suspension calibration was out!

Worth a try, as it cost nothing!

In the beginning I wondered about the camera being the cause, as the tone only went off after driving forward and timed with the camera going off.
But no just the suspension!

Hope this helps.

Ian

Post #619200 8th Jan 2022 2:47pm
JayGee

That's a great help. Still not seeing any parking system fault codes on the GAP Scan and have just been reading the workshop manual section for my year car and it mentioned this as well. It also says that if you fit a new parking ECU it needs to be programed by the workshop tool. There is no option of doing this in the GAP IID tool so maybe the workshop reprogram updates the suspension calibration values? 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #619204 8th Jan 2022 2:55pm
G3BML

bishbosh10 wrote:
Unfortunately if you have replaced the module and still have the fault you will have to go back to basics and test everything from the incoming 12v supply to the continuity of the looms and the resistances of the sensors. I did a brief write up of my parking sensor adventure that should turn up from a quick search Smile

Had a look at your write up, those wiring diagrams will come in handy. Got my multimeter looked out and weather permitting, going to take off the back bumper and check the loom continuity and sensor resistances tomorrow!

Post #619241 8th Jan 2022 11:13pm
G3BML

We’ll I took the back bumper off today and found someone has been in here before. One of the wires on the plug on the car has been snipped right down at the connector and a length of wire has been soldered, completely bypassing the multiplug. Question now is, can I buy a new plug and pins to put it back to standard?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #619350 9th Jan 2022 6:45pm
JayGee

Was this the causing the fault though? 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #619356 9th Jan 2022 7:04pm
G3BML

Not sure, but was going to change the rear bumper loom for the sake of £40 just to rule that out. Just irritates me because it’s not a proper repair

Post #619499 10th Jan 2022 9:48pm
G3BML

Little update, received new rear bumper wiring loom and repair wire/pins for the multiplug on the main loom on the car this week so hopefully get that sorted this week. Also purchased an IID tool and scanned for faults, these are the codes I am dealing with -

Click image to enlarge

Still getting to grips with the IID, but does anyone know if you can check the values of each parking sensor?

Post #620871 22nd Jan 2022 12:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1