Home > Technical (L322) > Intermittent limp mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nespouls

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Adriatic Blue
Intermittent limp mode

Hello All,
I would very much welcome your thoughts and advice on my (latest) Vogue problem.
The car intermittently goes into very serious limp mode. This is preceded by the dreaded "bong bong" and a message in the display "engine system failure". However, switching off the engine, removing the key and restarting clears the fault and normal power is resumed. There will be the time, though, when she does not re-start . . . and I do not want this to be in the middle of nowhere.
There seems to be no common conditions under which this occurs, other than on two occasions it has been within five minutes of start up and leaving home. She has been in my local LR dealership ( Censored ) in central France for seven weeks now and they have no solution. I have seen the print-out from the diagnostic laptop and there are masses of issues, including several where there is no communication from the all terrain, and other, control modules. It also suggests that both air mass flow sensors are faulty. However, no indication of a failed sensor.
My own conclusion is that it is probably the engine ECU with an intermittent fault which clears on re-boot. This would explain why the diagnostics are so scrambled and inconclusive. I am tempted to fit a second-hand unit, but I believe there are VIN issues.
Any thoughts would be very gratefully received!
Cheers,
Stuart Stuart
L322 2007 TDV8 Vogue

Post #614390 1st Dec 2021 4:04pm
bishbosh10

United Kingdom 

What state is the battery in? Even a slightly poorly battery seems to throw up all sorts of problems.... Bish.

2005 110 TD5 CSW
2011 TDV8 Vogue SE (gone)

Post #614473 2nd Dec 2021 6:28pm
Nespouls

Hi Bish, many thanks for your idea. The battery is new and fully charged; the engine spins over beautifully on the starter.
Wish that were the answer, but I fear that it is more complicated and (as ever ! ) very much more expensive.
Cheers,
Stuart Stuart
L322 2007 TDV8 Vogue

Post #614479 2nd Dec 2021 6:50pm
Tiprat

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Nespouls when my 2007 SE kept doing this, it's was one of the 2 MAF airflow sensors, and all it needed was taking out and cleaning (with brake fluid). 20 min job and it's hasn't come in again...... Borrowed Grey 2002 3d 204k for a year
Now own a 2007 Java black Vogue SE 3.6TDV8 160k

Post #614552 3rd Dec 2021 10:17am
Nespouls

Hi Tiprat, thanks for that very encouraging info! I’ll liberate her from the useless dealer and give that a go. Will give you feedback.
Many thanks again,
Stuart Stuart
L322 2007 TDV8 Vogue

Post #614598 3rd Dec 2021 3:17pm
jagracer

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

My TDV8 does that from time to time. Lots of fault codes too. It is often low cranking voltage, and Calcium batteries are a good one for that. Very common fault on Freelander 2's. Original equipment batteries I think were better quality, and I have had them last twelve years until they crank too low a voltage. The Maf sensorsounds worth a clean.

Post #614623 3rd Dec 2021 5:57pm
Nespouls

Update. The dealer was damant that the problem was due to a failed EGR, even though they had replaced them 25,000 km ago. In their embarrassment they proposed to fit an EGR blanking kit at cost. Agreed.
She is now back home, EGR free, and so far, so good. She is running very very smoothly and hopefully limp-free.
Time will tell . . . . Stuart
L322 2007 TDV8 Vogue

Post #617745 27th Dec 2021 8:43pm
Nespouls

Yes, still going strong. Don’t want to jinx it ( ever!) , but it would appear the blanking kit has resolved this particular problem.
I was amazed how easy it is to fit the blanking kit. It is done with simple access to the top of the block; no need to remove loom. Seems to have made the engine much smoother and responsive. Stuart
L322 2007 TDV8 Vogue

Post #620305 17th Jan 2022 4:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1