Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Rear shock replacement advice required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johnb8538

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Fuji White
Rear shock replacement advice required

After purchase it was noticed on my MOT report that both rear air shocks were "advisory" a few months before my purchase. After further inspection I found out the passenger side rear shock was replaced brand new but not the other. I understand that sometimes its not necessary to do both. As I live on a bit of a hill I've not really noticed it before but the driver side rear is certainly dipping about 10 to 20mm whether in normal height or full ride height. Its not affecting things horrifically, just more of a niggle.

Questions-
Cost of part looks to be around £300 so any thought on total replacement costs. £500?
My previously free RAC warranty is due for renewal and they've quoted me £300 for the year. I assume a shocker is not covered as its a wearable item so holding fire for now to claim later would be pointless?

And totally off topic-Warranty? Seven year old car which is in great condition despite 80k miles, all service history, loads spent on it in the last year. Am I better saving the warranty money for items like this as apart from the engine exploding (hopefully unlikely) there's not many other parts that haven't already been replaced and I have receipts for and I'm pretty good with general maintenance should something daft go wrong as I've had in my last three RR's? (Not trying to be tight, just sensible)

Post #620285 17th Jan 2022 12:16pm
johnb8538

Funny how when you notice a little niggle it becomes your obsession haha.

Just took the missus to work and now I'm obsessing on the rear driver side airshock. I'm hearing pops and cracks that I never noticed before. Safe to say that old shock seems on its way out so best get it done.

Just called a local indy I've used before and they told me it might just need calibrated because of me living on a hill. So booked in for a diagnostic next week. Nice that they said we could pop in a new shock and charge you and not resolve the problem so there's no point doing that. Kind of refreshing.

Post #620298 17th Jan 2022 2:21pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

The air bags are the springs, not the shockers.

If the car is dipping, it’s the air spring, not the shocker. Shockers don’t determine ride height, they only stop the spring oscillating the wheel about.

Just replaced both rear shockers on my L322, ride height never affected. Can’t see the L405 being any different.

Don’t think I’m wrong…

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #620309 17th Jan 2022 4:18pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

If a warranty helps you sleep at night, go for it. I've only had one once which i've just cancelled after 3 years on my 405. Assumed incorrectly that things were covered that clearly weren't. Be aware that any item shown as advisory will not be covered, that's what I was later informed anyway. Age old adage, save the money , this should give you more than enough to cover unexpected jobs, wish I had tbh.

On a more positive note, you can get a small bolt on via the AA called parts and labour cover which pays out a max of £500 x 4 or 5 times p.a. I've had quite a few jobs covered by this, couple of alternators , battery, coil pack on another car.

I've just replaced a rear shock on mine last month, site sponsor Duckworths were head and shoulders the cheapest I could find Thumbs Up

Post #620310 17th Jan 2022 4:28pm
johnb8538

mjdronfield wrote:
The air bags are the springs, not the shockers.

If the car is dipping, it’s the air spring, not the shocker. Shockers don’t determine ride height, they only stop the spring oscillating the wheel about.

Just replaced both rear shockers on my L322, ride height never affected. Can’t see the L405 being any different.

Don’t think I’m wrong…

Thumbs Up

I think you've summed that up spot on so no criticism here thank you. The height between tyre and bodyshell didn't drop on any corner overnight which i would have assumed would be an airbag leak on the offending corner but when you get out of the car and the ride height has settled that back right corner is the lowest which made me think in "old terms" the shock absorber is failing. Ill certainly let you know what the diagnostic says.

Post #620317 17th Jan 2022 5:17pm
johnb8538

Mr Tee wrote:
If a warranty helps you sleep at night, go for it. I've only had one once which i've just cancelled after 3 years on my 405. Assumed incorrectly that things were covered that clearly weren't. Be aware that any item shown as advisory will not be covered, that's what I was later informed anyway. Age old adage, save the money , this should give you more than enough to cover unexpected jobs, wish I had tbh.

On a more positive note, you can get a small bolt on via the AA called parts and labour cover which pays out a max of £500 x 4 or 5 times p.a. I've had quite a few jobs covered by this, couple of alternators , battery, coil pack on another car.

I've just replaced a rear shock on mine last month, site sponsor Duckworths were head and shoulders the cheapest I could find Thumbs Up

Agreed, Ive only ever had one paid for warranty years ago and they never paid out anything on it, always said wear and tear etc.. The free RAC one I had recently to be fair they've paid out nearly two grand on five items before it expired. There was a reduction due to age and mileage on every item claimed so yes its not the safety net you hope it would be. Thank you for the tip on the AA!

Post #620318 17th Jan 2022 5:20pm
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

if there are no leaks in airbag then a re set on ride Hight is required and possible a new ride height sensor. Shocks do not determine the ride Hight the sensors do by adjusting the air bags.
it can be done at home if you have the digital tooling there is a video by Atlantic on YouTube you just need an old center cap and a good tape measure. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #620372 18th Jan 2022 9:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1