Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > L460 wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
FlyingTrotter

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
L460 wheels

I have currently specced the 1073 diamond turned wheels in 22 inch in part as I thought they had the edge on the standard options and the contrast grey seemed to work well with Carpathian Grey- what are others going with ?

I have half a mind to go for the same wheels in 21 inch instead of the 22 inch as I will take it off road a bit shooting - is anyone else concerned about the 22 inch wheels and thinking of reducing the size ? I know I could swap the rubber they will come with for General Grabber AT3’s as they do them in 22 inch and that’s in my mind if I find the standard rubber isn’t working too well - maybe 21 inch would be even better

I initially went for a space saver but the dealer chap mentioned that the wheels and tyres are actually a fair bit more expensive than the cost for a full sized spare and so having a full sized could be useful in case I badly damage a wheel - hadn’t thought about it that way - are people going full sized spare or space saver when they have the option - think some models like the 7;seat and the PHEV engines only permit a space saver

Post #622546 5th Feb 2022 12:19pm
Crocs

Scotland 

The salesman might right about damage but you need to evaluate the risk. I’ve had a full size spare wheel in 8 LRs over the last 30 years and not one of them hit the road, so a waste of money.

Off road, the important thing is tyre profile to protect the wheels, so no low profile tyres. Standard tyres should be quite sufficient unless you are doing some serious mud plugging when Mud Terrains come into their own. But, is that likely? More likely you’ll be in a few fields or crossing a moor. The standard set up is way more capable than most of us will find out.

Post #622550 5th Feb 2022 12:54pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Seriously underwhelmed with all the wheels, was tempted to go 21 inch to increase profile but eventually settled on the diamond 1073.
Like the steering wheel I hope something turns up to upgrade to after. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #622577 5th Feb 2022 4:09pm
7 CDB

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue

Any pics?

Post #622578 5th Feb 2022 4:17pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Would normally always spec FSS but on First Edition you lose the cushions for the Tailgate Event Suite which is a standard fit gimmick.

Post #622583 5th Feb 2022 4:38pm

United Kingdom 

I have never used a spare in my life but I bet if I didn’t spec it where available I could guarantee I would find myself stuck somewhere on a cold wet night with a shredded tyre while my wife questions me at length as to why we don’t have one. Laughing

Post #622589 5th Feb 2022 5:11pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

I had the diamond turned turbine wheel on my first L405 many years ago, but never really liked them. I've got grey non-diamond turned alloys on my current L405 which look great, although they never have that wow factor when the car is clean.

For the L460, I did seriously consider 21" similar to what I have on my current car. But I've yet to see an L460 on the 21" wheels, just the 23" wheels, so was worried the 21s might look a little small.

So... I've gone for 22" style 7023 - reminds me of the wheels I had on my first RR back in 2008. Silver and quite classic. I'm slightly annoyed that my snow chains won't fit (and there doesn't seem to be a LR option snow chains available to fit the 22" wheels!) and I used to struggle to find tyre shops that had the equipment to change a 22" tyre, but I'm sure I'll cope. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #622601 5th Feb 2022 6:02pm
Angus

United Kingdom 

This is a great thread. Although my interest here isn’t the wheels, but my only real grievance with the L460 - the odd tyre sizes. For those might be interested, I think these are the wheel (tyre) sizes available:

20” - 255/55?r20. These can be dealer specified with POR tyres - Goodyear DuraTracs (same as if ordered on the Defender) or the standard CrossContacts.

20” - 275/??r20

Both 20” options can only be ordered on lower powered models (not D350, P530 etc)

21” - 275/50r21

22” - 285/45r22

23” - 285/40r23

There’s an anomaly in the configurator - as mentioned in another thread on this site, Electronic Air Suspension with Dynamic Response Pro and Electronic Active Differential with Torque Vectoring by Breaking are standard on AB, but can be added as options to SE and HSE models. When added to SE and HSE is specifies that you must also add 22” wheels - I’m not sure why this is, but presumably it’s because for the technology to work it requires the 285 sections tyres or the less ‘give’ that comes with lower-profile tyres. However, if you configure an AB, you are able to downgrade on the configurator to 21” without losing either the Dynamic Response or Active Differential. If you can downgrade to 21” without losing those options I’ll be doing that with our order.

@FlyingTrotter - I complete get your desire to run AT3 - there an excellent tyre which we run on most of our cars, other than our Defender which is still on the DuraTracs is came with. You’re right that you can get them in 22” but not in the correct size (the AT3 is 275/40r22 vice the 285/45r22 you need) - you can fit both 21” and 22” to L405 but the L460 has moved to almost bespoke sizes which most tyre manufacturers don’t currently stock / produce. Moving 21” doesn’t help much either, however 20” does (you can fit your AT3s at this size) - however, as I mentioned above, this comes at the cost of losing the suspension and differential options. It’s irritating as it limits options for those who intend run the vehicle regularly off-road and in challenging conditions - perhaps a declaration by LandRover that they know most Range Rover clients will never use their vehicle off-road. The CrossContacts are great road tyres, very efficient etc but are useless off-road on wet grass or rocky surfaces and are really prone to punctures.

I’ve done a little bit of research our solution maybe in the form of the new Nokian Outpost AT tyres which look very similar to AT3s in design and specification but unlike the AT3s, do come in 285/45r22s (but annoyingly not 21”).

Post #622653 5th Feb 2022 11:34pm
Crocs

Scotland 

I'm also conflicted on wheel size. My order is for an HSE, ordered when the two suspension items were standard. I'm not sure if I chose HSE over AB because I'm skint or am just a tight-arsed Scot who doesn't see the added value. I've never liked bigger and bigger wheels as they are a nuisance off road and I may also go don to 21 inch.

Some of the best tyres I had were BF Goodrich ATs 265/75 R16 on a 50th Anniversary Defender.

Post #622700 6th Feb 2022 10:58am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Discs are the same diameter (380mm and 355mm) on everything but the P530 (400mm and 370mm), so, assuming the front calipers are the same, every available wheel should physically fit on every model but the P530.

Post #622711 6th Feb 2022 12:12pm
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I agree wit you Angus, with the new wheel size follows odd tyre sizes! For us needing Nordic winter tyres on the extra set of wheels, there aren't many Nordic winter tyres in these sizes...

Snow chains on rear wheels only works on 21" wheels, which indicate that the clearance inside the wheel arch is very limited. 21" wheels are 10mm narrower than the 22". But the 23" have 2mm smaller diameter than the 22", which means that it cannot be the size of the wheels that prohibits the PHEV to be delivered with 23" wheels. The positive is then that it should technically be possible to refit 23" to the PHEV.

Post #622814 6th Feb 2022 11:59pm
Bill

United Kingdom 
Re: L460 wheels

FlyingTrotter wrote:

I initially went for a space saver but the dealer chap mentioned that the wheels and tyres are actually a fair bit more expensive than the cost for a full sized spare and so having a full sized could be useful in case I badly damage a wheel - hadn’t thought about it that way - are people going full sized spare or space saver when they have the option - think some models like the 7;seat and the PHEV engines only permit a space saver

I stand to be corrected.
When I went to see the new L460, the man from Range Rover ( knew everything) said there is no space for any spare wheel with the 7 seats. As I have had at least 6 on road punctures in the past few years , that was a shock. I said how am I supposed to manage? . Call Range Rover rescue. Best double check.

On balance I would still go for the 7 seats. If you don’t , then full size replacement is IMHO best bet. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #622882 7th Feb 2022 5:29pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

It is to be hoped that it will come with a jack that is up to the job. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #622884 7th Feb 2022 5:37pm
Angus

United Kingdom 

Bumping this for those who are interested and will spend time off road in their car.

As some predicted, manufactures are catching up - Grabber are now offering the excellent AT3 in 285/45r22

Post #631268 11th May 2022 7:14am
FlyingTrotter

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Thanks

Post #631314 11th May 2022 2:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>