Home > Technical (L322) > Cowboy repairs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black
Cowboy repairs

Hi all this is just a rant really!!

a month or so ago i had errors appears Special programs, ABS, HDC & a few others, no panic probably battery on its last legs, tested the battery (Original) and sure enough failed test only putting out 500 out of 850 amps. so as i could not identify battery went online ordered a 019 battery from a battery supplier. issues fixed then couple days later came back. long story short ended up with a genuine LR AGM unit, all good for 2 weeks then the issue returned checked the battery all good. the only item the scan tool reveled was a rear left speed sensor. mm, i thought set tooling up to record both rear wheels and no dice lights went out they both read same.
maybe we have an alternator fault but all checked out alternator was indeed functioning as expected. though i nearly ordered one anyway.
Lights came back on so i re-scanned same fault rear left speed sensor this time when i cleared the car would not drive traction control would kick in then all lights come on i could then drive off.
so ordered new ABS sensor and today have replaced it. but what i found was a joke this had clearly been looked at before, cable had been in 2 parts at some point as someone had taped the wires together!! and the sensor itself just came off when i looked in the hole the bottom was stick fast with Glue!! you could see someone had glued it in there. so next 2 hrs spent gently teasing the remains of it out an cleaning up!!

see pics below.

I really hate people that do shoddy work like this. all others checked and seem fine but this makes me sad.

anyway new sensor in started car no lights came on test drove and issue seems to be resolved.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #623039 9th Feb 2022 2:16pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

Well done, the trouble is when you find stuff like that it gets you wondering...... what else !!!!! Did that monkey do to the car.

Post #623070 9th Feb 2022 6:44pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

There is always a risk with a second hand car especially a fattie as it costs a few quid to run one I buy when still under manufacturers warranty and then keep them till they die or just get unreliable that way I know what has been done - won't work for everyone but does for me

Post #623093 9th Feb 2022 8:51pm
Jayk69

this is the problem easy to make comments like "This is the problem with used cars" but this car comes with extensive history and i can see the Main LR Dealer invoice for this very repair. So much for relying main dealer history not worth the paper it is written on. which make the comments "Only by with dealer history" a mute point.
this bodge job was carried out 3.5 years ago i cannot believe it lasted so long Shocked 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #623168 10th Feb 2022 4:31pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Yup get me going as well. It is not even expensive to do it properly. I had a few of those on my car. Idiots.

Post #623231 11th Feb 2022 6:56am
Jayk69

it would have been harder to apply that bodge than replace the part properly!! they even routed the cable wrong LR have put clips along the route to make it easy. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #623241 11th Feb 2022 9:17am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Blimey. I wonder whether my car has been to the same place. I was thinking that as well. It be cheaper and quicker to just do it right. Perhaps the parts person messed up and they didn’t want to keep it another day. Regardless I could never knowingly do that to any device. Just not in my make up

Glad you uncovered it though.

Post #623246 11th Feb 2022 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1