Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 2012 Noise and drivability issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dawson1044

United States 2012 Range Rover HSE 5.0 V8 Santorini Black
2012 Noise and drivability issues

Please forgive me in advance if this issue has been covered already. I am a first time L322 owner, I purchased a 2012 HSE Lux from an auction with a dead battery and sold as-is. After purchasing a battery, I started the vehicle to find that it ran good but it had an awful rattle that never goes away. It seems as though it is coming from the front of the engine but is really hard to pinpoint. I've driven it and it also has a little bit of sluggishness or lag upon acceleration. I own a shop but only service domestic and Asian vehicles so the Euro cars are definitely new to me. This RR is super clean and appeared to be well maintained so I do not feel that this is a product of neglect. I should also mention that it has 133,000 miles or 214000km.
I have read that the timing chains and guides can be an issue but also see where it is usually only at start up. I am willing to buy the RR tools for installing the chains and guides and attempt to perform the job myself as it seems time consuming but not overly complicated.

Any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Post #624671 24th Feb 2022 10:38pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Welcome to the madhouse, there should be a V8 expert along soon with some advice.

You can also use the search function or the technical section on the home page, as with a little digging, there is a wealth of info on this site, also some very helpful people always willing to help. Hope all goes well Thumbs Up

Post #624672 24th Feb 2022 11:00pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Hi Dawson - welcome aboard.

The 5.0SC is a fantastic car but those engines do have a reputation for failed timing chain tensioners/guides. This can be as early as 60k miles. The other possibility is the supercharger but that tends to be more of a clattering rather than a rattle and can be taken out of the equation by briefly removing the supercharger belt and see if the noise disappears.

You could always post a quick video up so we can hear the noise, but in the meantime, here is another thread you could read through: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post504901.html

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Mark Current Cars:
MY11 5.0 SC Stornoway - sold
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold
1997 BMW E36 M3 Evolution Convertible Estoril

Post #624761 25th Feb 2022 9:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1