Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > LWB PHEVs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Freddy Bear

United Kingdom 
LWB PHEVs

Sat in the passenger seat of our 5.0 heading to the Alps - en route we pick up two friends from Geneva. Got me thinking about the LWB version of the L460 and whether it wouldn’t be a better choice than the SWB I have on order. We live among fields so length doesn’t matter and why not have the legroom? And it looks a bit better than the LWB L405 to my eyes.

But I am scratching my head when I look at the LWB PHEVs. (I would like a PHEV). Am I right you can only get the P440e and then only on the five seat LWB in AB or SE guise? So no P510e LWB or SVs? And no 7 seat PHEVs?

And I wonder what the physical difference is between the P440e and P510e? Does the latter have an engine in a higher state of tune (so EV performance is the same) or does it have more batteries so is faster in EV mode? And if it has more batteries you would think the LWB could more easily offer the P510e.

Advice and insight gratefully received!

Post #624739 25th Feb 2022 5:17pm
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
or does it have more batteries so is faster in EV mode?

As far as I know, the P440e and P510e have identical battery packages. The power difference in the Ingenium engine is due to tuning and/or turbo.

Post #624760 25th Feb 2022 9:47pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

Good morning Freddy,

My understanding is as follows, although if others believe otherwise, please correct me.

Like you, I originally started with a P530 order (albeit LWB). Then, 7 CDB brought to my attention the extent of the saving if I buy this car through my company and pay BIK, as opposed to paying cash for it myself. So I've recently switched my order to a P440e PHEV (it will take longer to arrive, but I'm OK with that).

In usual Land Rover style though, this is not straightforward. As you rightly say, at present at least, you cannot have the PHEV in 7 seat LWB, although you can have it in the 5 seat LWB variant in First Edition, if you so wish.

You also can't spec 23' wheels, which is a bit disappointing as they do look better, although that may turn out to be a blessing if 23's turn out to be too hard, at the moment we don't know quite how they're going to ride.

Furthermore, you can only order the P440e in 5 seat LWB, not the more powerful P510e, which is available in SWB form.

Most importantly though, you cannot spec Dynamic Response Pro on the P440e LWB, a feature that is available on SWB.

Martin2 gives a detailed explanation of what this means here:

"The New Range Rover is the first Land Rover to feature Dynamic Response Pro – an advanced 48-volt electronic active roll control system that is faster-acting and more efficient than hydraulic systems and has an industry-leading torque capacity of 1,400Nm – with 900Nm available within 200 milliseconds.

This advanced technology manages body roll from lateral acceleration by continually optimising the damping forces on the front and rear anti-roll bars and has been engineered by Land Rover to work in harmony with other chassis systems. In Dynamic mode, body roll is further reduced for sharper responses and enhanced agility while the anti-roll bars can de-couple in off-road scenarios to maximise wheel travel and improve ride comfort. The system’s actuators even help the wheels to follow the terrain, improving traction on undulating surfaces.

As well as supporting capability and comfort, the electrified system also contributes to overall efficiency and provides a CO2 saving of up to 8g/km compared to previous hydraulic systems. In this way, Dynamic Response Pro is a crucial element in delivering the New Range Rover’s efficiency, composure and all-conquering capability".

So it's all a bit confusing and frustrating. I guess it's working out what you priories are and what sacrifices you're prepared to make. If you can build a car without compromise, you're lucky. I seem to be making quite a few, inc, forced to have Privacy Glass, etc.

For me personally, I think the LWB does actually look better than the SWB so I'm sticking with it (although of course everyone has their own preference). I also need the space for the dogs, so again need the LWB.

I feel quite annoyed that the Dynamic Response Pro is not being offered on the P440e LWB and can only hope that it will be added either as Standard, or as a cost option between now and build - I guess if you've never had it, you probably won't notice it not being there.

Ultimately, I'm absolutely fed up with paying shed loads of tax and getting nothing back!

As pointed out by 7 CDB, the saving is significant. If I'd stuck with my initial spec P530 at £141,000, I'm sure most of you know that before tax, you have to pay yourself quite a lot more to net this figure. Buying it through my company, will reduce its tax payable / profit, all I pay is BIK, which from what I can see is at circa £4,000 pa.

So it's a massive saving and makes me feel happy that finally I'm getting something back from the tax man!

So I've decided that I'm going to stick with the P440e choice, regardless of whether or not Dynamic Response Pro is added.
For the amount of money I will save, and the "feel good factor" I will get from owning a new L460, largely at the expense of HMRC, it's a compromise I'm prepared to live with.

Post #624778 26th Feb 2022 9:10am
Freddy Bear

United Kingdom 

Thanks Eirik34. In that case the vehicle weights should be the same (roughly) so I wonder why you can't get a P510e LWB? Surely the extra power of the P510e would be useful in the heavier LWB?

And aja500 thank you too. Good spot on the Dynamic Response Pro - I didn't realise that. And nicely done on the tax! But I really know what you mean about having to make some compromises. As I sat in the car yesterday I thought 'I'll have a P510e LWB". Nope! So I thought let's go for it and get a P510e LWB SV. Nope! And no P440e LWB SV either. And no 23 inch wheels on the PHEVs as you say (due to vehicle weight and tyre specs).

On the L405 (as 5.0 said in another thread) I always found it easy to spec my cars, but this is harder. It feels like the main reasons for changing to the L460 I can't have on one car - if I want the new look with the 23 inch wheels and PHEV (which i do!) then you are stuck. Even more so on the LWB where the choice of PHEVs is one, and the slower one. I understand that some things are physical restrictions (eg vehicle weight and tyres) but not offering the P510e in LWB feels like a strange decision unless there is a reason I am missing?

Post #624782 26th Feb 2022 10:06am
7 CDB

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue

Aja500 is exactly where I am with thoughts on the L460 - we only have one child, but 2 dogs and a load of horse kit 🤦🏻‍♂️

Prime example yesterday, dogs, saddle, feed etc and shopping in the Taycan CT and then had to pick up son from school - just shown what a small performance estate car is no good at - carrying anything.

We really wanted the LWB but, and after the salesman convincing me that 440bhp really is enough in a Range Rover! Our last L405 was a lowly 3.0V6 diesel and I never felt that it needed more power and the economy was really good.
I just wanted 500bhp (because I’m a bloke - cue much eye rolling from the wife 😂)
Also, just been informed by ‘er indoors that you can not have a towbar on the LWB PHEV - even @ 2.5ton tow weight- that is a necessity for her
Our main issue along with any passengers with our L405 was body roll, the dynamic control in the new PHEV 510 is a must for us - less power I could just about cope with, but after any Porsche anything else will feel like a boat. Really wanted the LWB

But, again after a stupidly small estate car a SWB PHEV 510 AB with dynamic control should do us 👍

If anything changes- we will go LWB PHEV 440bhp AB with dynamic 🙏

Post #624785 26th Feb 2022 10:18am
kevantlin

United Kingdom 

I was in the same quandary as previous posters. Ended up order a 510 over the 440.

However the remarks about needing more space for the dogs etc and the LWB being a better choice. As far as I can make out the 200mm extra length is all in the rear footwell for the back seat passenger. The boot space remains the same.

Happy to stand corrected.

Post #624800 26th Feb 2022 1:20pm
aja500

It seems we're all having to make some kind of sacrifice!

Yes, you are correct Kev. However, I'm taking the unusual step of removing the rear seats, as I have two large dogs, at 70-80kg each.

The LWB floor will be made level once the seats are removed and will give the dogs all of the rear space, from the back of the front seats to the tailgate.

Just going back to the 23' wheel point - Am I right in thinking, that as long as the car is never at full load (eg, just my wife, myself and the dogs, less seats), the 23's should be able to cope without issue?

In other words, if I order them separately, should the car remain safe based on the above load?

Post #624801 26th Feb 2022 1:29pm
kevantlin

United Kingdom 

Interesting about removing the seats. Considered doing that in my defender. However I think there are rules around removing seats and road legality/insurance etc.

Post #624805 26th Feb 2022 1:40pm
aja500

Possibly, although I've had them out of my L322 for 8 years now without issue.

I know JLR won't take them out for me, and they'll probably tell me that it could invalidate the warranty, although I guess they would have to demonstrate a link to a fault if they refused to cover a problem.

For example, if the car needs a new radiator, they can't say it's linked to the back seats not being in place.

Post #624806 26th Feb 2022 1:45pm
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

aja500 wrote:
Just going back to the 23' wheel point - Am I right in thinking, that as long as the car is never at full load (eg, just my wife, myself and the dogs, less seats), the 23's should be able to cope without issue?

In other words, if I order them separately, should the car remain safe based on the above load?

The difference between the 22" 114 and the 23" 111 tyre load ratings is only 90 kg/wheel.

If you need to load the P510e to its max 3450kg with a weight distribution of 2360kg on the rear axel (max rating for the approved 285/45-22 114Y tyres) and 1090kg on the front axel, and you need to run such a loaded car flat out 242 km/h on German Autobahns, then you'll not be safe with the 23" 111Y rated tyres. But a P510 loaded to 3270kg - rear axel 2180kg - will be 100% safe to drive flat out 242km/h using the 23" wheels.

I.e. for normal speeds the 285/40-23 111Y rated tyres will be perfectly safe also for the P510e, but not adhering to the specs might impact insurance in the highly unlikely event that you have an accident caused by tyre damage.

I also hope that it will be possible to order 23" wheels separatly.

Post #624817 26th Feb 2022 5:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1