Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Ifor Williams Horse Trailers - any pointers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
chawks

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Alveston Red

My advice is if the other half suggests a 7.5t lorry...run, run as fast and as far away as possible. Money pit is an understatement! I put mine in the garage for its annual plating before I sell it but it wants to make sure I spend at least half its value on getting it through. Stick with the biggest trailer you can get!

Post #586723 8th Mar 2021 7:52pm
TomV8

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Huge thanks to everyone for the advice on horse trailers. I knew you’d be the folk to ask 👍

By way of an update, we ended up plumping for this:

So you’ll all be able to say “I told you so!” If and when we need something bigger than a 506. My wife needs to be happy towing it and so was keen to get the smallest trailer we could for our 15.1 horse. And following all the advice about rotten floors we ended up getting a newer one than we had originally set out to. I’m really grateful for all the advice.

This being the full fat forum, I’d better get back on topic and share with you that on the way to get the trailer, my L322 decided to through the triple crown of warning lights: engine failsafe prog; HDC inactive; and then Air susp. Inactive. Which it does from time to time, typically when the fuel tank is quite full. It being a Petrol V8, that isn’t often! But then it also lit up the orange engine management light. I stopped straight away and checked oil and water. Twenty miles later stopped to check oil and water again. To my horror the bonnet release cable went twang. So there I was with a FFRR with an engine warning light on but no way of checking under the bonnet. I decided that the appropriate course of action was to “keep calm and carry on”.

I drove it again later today, not a warning light in sight. 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey
(205,500 miles and counting.......)

Post #587342 13th Mar 2021 6:36pm
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

HBX series are very nice trailers, we have an HBX511 (bloody huge horses!) and it's simply sublime, don't know it's there. As to rotten floors, all IW horse trailers for many years have had aluminium floors and I've never seen one in anything other than good nick. Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #587402 14th Mar 2021 7:57am
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

As above, plan for a bigger beast to appear, it WILL happen sometime !
Was on the verge of buying a trailer, covid scuppered that, but my daughter wants to get back into eventing again, so it looks like we will end up with one. Probably a second hand Ifor Williams larger model.

Just to give people a laugh-
Warning, buying a horse is a lifestyle choice, not a hobby, it never ends. I even learnt to ride at 50. Bad decision, as I was then bitten by the bug,and really enjoy riding. later, first time on an amazing horse of 18 hands, thought this is amazing, worst aspect, two broken ribs when learning to jump Big Cry My considerate daughter thought it was hilarious. My mother tried giving me this, you should not be jumping at your age, you have responsibilities, conversation stopped when I reminded her about visiting her in hospital when I was a teenager, she had concussion after being thrown off. As I said, it never ends Thumbs Up

Post #587417 14th Mar 2021 10:45am
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Horses have an uncanny ability to burrow into your bank account and empty it! Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #587441 14th Mar 2021 3:34pm
Merchy

Know what you mean, just worked out rough figures and I fear that the 'running costs' for the horse ( I know, bad pun ! ) exceed those of my fatty. Thud

Post #587445 14th Mar 2021 4:00pm
TomV8

In the interests of transparency, I need to invite Flyingfocrs, LiftedDisco and Merchy to say “I told you so!”

Just as predicted by the sages of the FFRR forum, one year after getting Horse No.1, Mrs D decided daughter needed a bigger, better, more horse. So a 16h1 Horse No.2 was found. With a long back apparently. So Mrs D decided that the HBX506 she insisted was the right size for us, was now considered too small. So was swapped for a HB511. I was amazed how much horse trailer prices had risen since we purchased our first one in Feb 2021.

Here’s a photo of the new to us HB511 en route to Shropshire to collect Horse No.2

To get back to all things RR, I still love my L322. The girls have used it twice a week all winter for horse stuff and it’s up to 209,800 miles. It needs a really good clean and the beginnings of rust in the rear wheel arches sorting. The automatic steering wheel advancing and retracting has also broken, so I need to look at that and get it fixed. But otherwise running well and still feels like a privilege to drive. 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey

Post #628471 12th Apr 2022 5:20pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

That’s a cracking looking setup Thumbs Up

How much have they risen? We paid £4700 for ours back in 2018 and it was 5 months old at the time used twice Shocked I sold it nearly a year later for the same £4700 so they really do hold their value well.

Add it to the list of things I should have never sold in recent years, including the Defender 90 we towed it with and the L322 Censored Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #628474 12th Apr 2022 5:27pm
TomV8

Many thanks. I guess there’s not too many other people stupid enough to be tugging horse trailers about with a petrol V8!

On trailer prices, Well, based on my limited experience, the prices have risen significantly. When we bought our 2 year old HBX506 in Feb 2021 it was £6,700. At that time, we could have had a 2 yr old HBX511 for £7,500. Like you lot on here told me to buy!

The dealer we used in Feb 2022 gave us back the £6,700 we’d paid a year before and charged us £6,750 for the very clean 2018 HB511 we bought. He had a HBX511 but he wanted £9,000 for that (£1,500 more than a year earlier).

The dealer and our local IWT trailer dealer have told us the same thing - because the IWT factory in Wales was shut for 6 months during 2020 due to Covid, there is now a 12 month + wait for new ones, so secondhand prices have risen. 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey

Post #628480 12th Apr 2022 6:41pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I always think it softens the blow that they hold their value so well!

The lady we sold the 511 to must be laughing now, it’s not often you make a profit on anything horse related.

I don’t remember the Derv’s being to economical 2 horses up, so I dread to think about a V8 Bow down Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #628482 12th Apr 2022 6:52pm
LiftedDisco

England 

Hahaha….

I’d forgotten that I’d posted on here and was reading the thread with a thought of, “there’s a chap who knows what he’s talking about” and was super embarrassed to read my own comments of a year ago…

So… about the ‘I told you so…’ moment, I have to confess to @chawks that our daughter has decided that the 7.5 tonne lorry has to go and she’s likely to be searching for a trailer…

Well…look on the bright side - she’s due to get married soon, so (allegedly) won’t be my problem for too much longer…

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Daaaaaaaaddddd….!!!

Post #628633 13th Apr 2022 8:54pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 

On the subject of daughters not being your problem after marriage.
I do not agree.

Both of our girls have been left home over 12years. One has 10th wedding anniversary next month, the other has been married four years this year.

I still get the same amount of costs for fixing things etc. only saving grace is they never had horses!

Just hope that it pays dividends when they choose my care home?

Post #628681 14th Apr 2022 4:16pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

TomV8 wrote:
Many thanks. I guess there’s not too many other people stupid enough to be tugging horse trailers about with a petrol V8!

Ah well you see.....im in that silly group too....and been and endurance rider its a lot cheaper to run 4 horses than the Fatty! Big Cry

Nice set up Tom.

Like my 511 a lot and have put cameras in the box to keep an eye on travelling steed and a reversing camera, all hard wired to the screen in the FF, works a treat.

If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #628803 16th Apr 2022 6:23pm
Merchy

Quote from LiftedDisco......( Also as mentioned, check floors very carefully - lifting mats is not a nice process as there can be all sorts of gunge under there but will be a sound investment of time and effort. )

If you buy a used trailer, then this is very important, if there is a ton of gunge under the floor mats, then the owner has probably not looked after the mechanics of the trailer either....then walk away. Several owners I know, have their cars serviced religiously, but do not even realise that the trailers require maintenance Thud

Post #628862 17th Apr 2022 10:05am
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

I will take your 511 and raise you......

Had 510 and 511s for years, great trailers, new horse arrives a couple of years ago and won't travel facing forward !! No problem says SWMBO, we will get an Equitrek and keep the 511, horse loves the Equitrek, oh and for travelling the youngsters she bought an old 505, so now 3 trailers.

3 weeks ago the Range Rover shat its suspension and will take 2/3 weeks to sort as garage busy. No problem she says, went and bought a 7.5T Mercedes lorry, as we had a big 3 day show coming up and obviously couldn't miss that

Anyway, day after picking up said lorry she comes off at the gallops and completely smashes her fibia and ankle bone (bones through the skin), MINIMUM 6 months before she can put a foot in a stirrup

So 3 trailers and a lorry cluttering up the yard.

Women and horses Rolling with laughter

Post #628865 17th Apr 2022 10:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>