Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Vogue MOT Fail ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stealth

Vogue MOT Fail ?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Nightmare !

I bought a 2008 Vogue in late Feb from a dealer. I looked over at the rear arches and there was what appeared to be just a couple of small rust bubbles. I pointed them out and was told it would be an easy touch up. Now before you all jump on me. Yes I am an idiot
No I didn’t look hard enough
In my defence errrrr nope I am Ian idiot

As you can guess turns out the rust is extensive and severe. See pics. This is only one side I haven’t pulled the plastic trim off the other but I’m guessing it’s similar . However the vehicle was sold with a brand new MOT with no advisories. Looking at the .gov guidance notes the area in monocoque (unibody) vehicles is clearly marked “load bearing”

I have spoken with the dealer and they are very affable at present I’m taking the car in tomorrow to show them.

My aim is to reject the vehicle and ask for a full refund. I’m I on sound ground here?

Post #630351 2nd May 2022 9:18am
Dave lincs

United Kingdom 

If it is less than 3 months since the MOT was issued then you could contact the garage who did the MOT and say you will be in touch with DVSA about it (They will take this seriously) unless they offer to put it right, But think the garage should take the car back, was the dealer the same garage who did the MOT?

Dave

Post #630354 2nd May 2022 9:32am
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Ouch that looks bad, as for legal rights, other people on here will have more knowledge and be able to advise you.

reason for the problem could be -

Whilst those are 'load bearing' areas, as far as I understand, MOT inspectors are NOT allowed to remove any covers / panels to facilitate further inspection(s). For instance, they cannot open up plastic wheel arch liners, they cannot remove engine covers to see if an EGR valve is blanked etc.
AFAIK this is the case for private cars, but not for HGV and vehicles licensed for carrying passengers.

If I am wrong please correct me, this info was from an MOT inspector during a recent conversation.

Post #630355 2nd May 2022 9:44am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The hindquarters of the 322 are structural and not an easy/cheap repair. I agree with your instinct to get rid.

Start by looking at the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (easily found via Google). There is a short term right to reject, within 30 days. You are beyond that period. But there is a longer term right to reject if the dealer cannot or will not fix the problem. On the longer term right to reject the dealer can deduct something for the use you have had in the meantime, generally Xp a mile, I'm not sure what the rate is, it would need to be reasonable, e.g. consistent with excess mileage charge on a hire contract.

Ideally they would accept the rejection rather than offer to fix it. There are some threads on here about people making panels etc for this area, but from what I recall no ready supply of parts for an easy and realistic repair. If they offer to fix it, the CRA says it must be without undue delay and inconvenience to you, so they would need to provide a loan car while yours was with them.

See how you get on with the selling dealer before contemplating anything against the MOT garage (if different business). As noted by Merchy that would be a pretty long shot and likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

Good luck. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #630367 2nd May 2022 10:44am
Full-fat-Lance

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

If you’re happy with the rest of the car, I’d be tempted to let them fix it. That way you’re safe in the knowledge that it’s been done and isn’t going to cause you any issues going forward. That said, I’d also see what else is on the market for the same sort of money that I’d get back for rejecting the car in case there are any better options.

Post #630371 2nd May 2022 10:56am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

There’s a guy on YouTube with the same issue (along with many other people).

Do a search for “it’s Joel” Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #630379 2nd May 2022 11:19am
nfm

2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I inspected a RR for a friend where the garage “fixed it” six months before for the (now) vendor and it was rotten again. If you go down the fix it road then at the least ask for wip photos of rot cut out / new metal let in etc otherwise you could be a victim of a bodge.

Post #630408 2nd May 2022 4:16pm
Charmer

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Sorry to see that. Unfortunately I think you will find the other side will be just as bad!
I have just spent just over £2k getting mine repaired. My rot was not as bad as yours, it had only just reached the end of the rear sills. I have owned the car for over 10 years and everything still works, so I thought it was worth the spend.
Is your rear jacking point affected? If yes then this really should be an MOT fail and I would not be happy with dealer or MOT garage.
See what the dealer has to say after sending pics of both sides and report back. I have been pleasantly surprised (sometimes) by the decency of dealers, and have been glad I didn’t begin with “all guns blazing!”

Post #630411 2nd May 2022 5:04pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Before you do anything l would be inclined to get under the car , just behind each front wheel, and remove the plastic cover that is part of each wheel arch liner. I took mine off when l got the car and found a garden behind each wheel arch. Luckily l was able to clean each area out and there was no corrosion. If you find corrosion of the cills at the front as well l would dispose of the car by whatever means.
Unlucky but I’m not sure an mot tester can definitely see the corrosion in your pictures. He may have had a suspicion but he can’t fail a car on suspicion alone.

Post #630412 2nd May 2022 5:09pm
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Id have a loom at your rear subframe too if it’s that rusty!

I had the same in my 2007 3 years ago i proactively removed the covers one side luckily just had a few bubbles so I ground them out and applied a liberal amount of bilthamber dynax s50, the other side had a hole the side of a 50p so got the affected area ground out and a plate welded and then applied more bilthamber liberally.

I have got on are near the back that’s started bubble and it is stemming from under the bumper carrier bracket so that off and wire brushed, applied bilthamber gel for a few hours to cure the rust and then you’ve guessed it… more dynax on here, as for the arch I am priming with a selection of bilthamber primers .

I sound like a sales rep but it’s good stuff spent about £100 on it 😂 Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #631098 9th May 2022 6:41pm
batfink

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

I had exactly the same on my car, so I watched eBay for a few weeks contacting anyone that was breaking an L322 up to 2012. After a number of them came back saying there's were rotten too, one came back with photos showing all good and solid. So I bought them off him, he cut them out and shipped them on a pallet to me for £250 from memory. I then got a local welder who cut mine out and replaced with the good ones for £130.

Post #631113 9th May 2022 8:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1